It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
It is moving Northeast and is a Super Storm:
as mentioned by Accuweather

Just curious, but what constitutes a "Super Storm"? What makes it a super storm now, as opposed to when it was a hurricane?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Just curious, but what constitutes a "Super Storm"? What makes it a super storm now, as opposed to when it was a hurricane?

You can find more information here
thread ATS

I am not a meteorologist but it seems that this happens when two storms join forces. (Wilma & Alpha).
It happened in 1991 and it was called "The Perfect Storm".
Accuweather talks about it now, have a look.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't think the term is really used appropriately in this case. In this case it is nothing more than a large nor easter. The March 1993 storm was more in line with it. It was massive in size and its impact was incredible.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
According to the previous mentioned link (Accuweather)

The two storms we are dealing with today (Wilma & Alpha) have remained separate entities, and that's a good thing. Wilma is racing off toward the North Atlantic and is having no direct impact on the weather across the Northeast. However, the storm did shed some moisture to the west which was absorbed by the storm on the coast. The result has been an extensive area of rain with heavy snow falling in the Appalachians. Fortunately, the hurricane did not join the game, or weather conditions in the Northeast would have been far worse.

At least, some good news.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Wow, I just got home from Sarasota on sunday. I called my Mestre (My teacher of Capoeira, I was down there for a Capoeira event), and his wife said all they got was wind and a bit of rain and slept right through it. I was supposed to leave the day it made landfall, but I got the flight pushed back. I'm glad I did even if it didn't do much over by them, my flight probably would've still been grounded.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
WorldWatcher is still without power, and it could be weeks till she gets it back!

When I last spoke with her, it seemed she'd be travelling north in the state, and find some lodging till things are back to normal...so we may hear from her soon. She's well prepared, but with the gas stations not working, a generator only works for so long, not to mention the other inconveniences.

I'm sure she'll have some amazing details and pics when we hear from her again....

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thank you Gazrok. That´s good news.

I am happy for WW. At least her family is is healthy and safe. We´ll have to be patient. I am also sure she will have a lot to tell us once she is back.

Hope they do not have to face many inconveniences and look forward to her return to ATS

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I remember her saying she was trying to prepare for the worst. Even though she did, this was much worse than we could ever imagine. Storms like Wilma in the future we need to avoid by leaving. Glad to hear they are safe and hope to hear from her soon. I am sure she indeed has a story to tell all of us about this terrible ordeal they have been through. Wish them the best and will remember them in our prayers.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
in in Vermont and that big noreaster and wilma are now long gone but we were left with about 8 inches of snow but 25 miles to the north west they got ast much as 24 inches of snow but 6 miles to the north east there is no snow at all. just the higher elevations got the snow everyone else got heavy rain..

but the snow was heavy wet snow our power just came back on after being out for 30 hours. we also have a ton of tree damage lost one big maple tree snaped into many pieces and our 100ft 200 year old maple tree lost a ton of big limbs.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
Storms like Wilma in the future we need to avoid by leaving.

Harry that isn't always possible. When you are told to evacuate, you are normally told to be prepared for about 3 days. Sometimes, however, you have to remain away from your home for weeks. Personally, I wouldn't be able to afford being away for that long.

Before Rita hit, Corpus Christi residents were told to evacuate. Then Rita turned towards Beaumont. It's a waiting game that sometimes we win and sometimes we're not so lucky.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Hi All,

Here is a short blurb from a MSN article calledJeb Bush accepts blame for slow aid efforts

MIAMI - Gov. Jeb Bush took the blame Wednesday for frustrating delays at centers distributing supplies to victims of Hurricane Wilma, saying criticism of the Federal Emergency Management Agency was misdirected.

“Don’t blame FEMA. This is our responsibility,” Bush said at a news conference in Tallahassee with federal Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, who oversees the agency.

Many Floridians were still struggling to find food, water, ice and gas on the third day of recovery from Wilma, waiting in line for hours — sometimes in vain. Miami-Dade’s mayor called the distribution system flawed and said at least one relief site of 11 in his county ran out of supplies.

People wait in line to purchase gas after Hurricane Wilma in West Palm Beach, Fla., on Wednesday.

I guess they (gov't officials) werent as prepared as they believed huh?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
To be honest, it's also up to the individual to be prepared. Anyone riding out this storm should have had at least a week's worth of supplies, if not two. EVERY Floridian should know that. We're only 3 days after the event, so there is NO excuse for people needing food or water yet, except for their own lack of common sense. Also, I had a full tank of gas on Monday (like everyone else in my state should have). I commute and drive an hour each way, each day. I'm at half a tank and drive a van. They haven't even had to go to work, so there is NO excuse for anybody being out of gas, save for powering up a generator...(and if having one, this should have had it's own small stock of gas prepared).

In THIS case, even FEMA or Jeb aren't to blame....much as we'd like to.

If one is looking for blame, they'll need to look into a mirror....

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Just wanted to drop a line to everyone...I made it! As I stated before I live in naples, Golden Gate actually, in Collier County. My house took heavy damage, and I'm still without power, but go firure my office has power and the boss called me in. My roof is partaly gone, one wall of my guest house collapsed, the roof of the guest house is gone, fences are down and I have countless trees laying all over.
The water is about 8 uinches deep all around the house, It's like I have my own private island. The Wind was Crazy! I was able to go outside duning the storm, and I felt like a ski jumper. I was leaning into the wind at about a 30 degree angle. The water felt like bees when it hit. All in all I have tons of work to do but My family is safe so thats all I care about.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Congrats Xayden! Glad to hear you are well, even if your house isn't...
Hope you and yours are faring well. At least somewhere nearby has power...and you can go back to work.

I tried reaching WorldWatcher, but her phone may finally be dead...hopefully, they've made it, or will make it, to a hotel soon, out of the area, and get back to some creature comforts.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
WW should be fine as long as she didnt go near this county or near Everglades city. WW is a ATS member. we are prepared for most anything! She'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Congratulations, Xayden.

I am happy to see you are fine and back to work.

Damages seem not so good, but at least you have not been hurt.

I hope WW is getting on well, too.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hi All,

Xayden I am so glad to hear that you and your family are well!
Will your insurance (if you have some) help to cover the costs of your repairs? I hope so.

Gazrok I agree with you about people needing to be prepared. Some people cant afford to prepare like they want or need to. I think that with this storm, people didnt think it would be so bad, because it was predicted to only land as a cat. 2 storm. They probably didnt even expect the power to go out. Of course I am speculating due to the fact that so many people were caught unaware. However, I would expect that if one lived in hurricane alley, they would be paranoid enough to prepare ahead of time. I guess it depends on your financial situation.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My Insurance will cover the damage, so everything is well.

This storm surprized everyone. The rear side of the storm was actually the stronger part due to the cold front behind it. There were gusts here of up to 110 mph. The storm also jumped up to a cat 3 before it hit.

Gaz... I know exactly what you mean. People from here are crying and conplaining that the need water and ice, and that all the free hand out spots are out of supplies. Well I will tell you this, THE DAY OF THE STORM Publix opened its door when the winds died down so did many other stores. Naples is by no means poor town. So what I dont understand is why people are bitching and crying about not getting FREE supplies? Get off you butts and go BUY them at the stores, which are not running low on anything! Am I wrong?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hi all,

I just made it home from Cancun. I was there on vacation, (perfect timing huh). I had no idea the magnatued of what I was actually living through as was so many others. We were completely cut off from outside souces of information for 6 days so I'm trying to read up on all of it now.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiousone
Hi all,

I just made it home from Cancun. I was there on vacation, (perfect timing huh). I had no idea the magnatued of what I was actually living through as was so many others. We were completely cut off from outside souces of information for 6 days so I'm trying to read up on all of it now.

Well, congratulations, cause you have survived to Wilma

I hope everything´s ok.
One of my friends had a flight to Cancun the day of the landfall (of course, the trip was cancelled). I am sorry for you having to experience it, but at least your healthy and safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join