It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
At least there is lots of time for everyone to monitor this storm. I'm praying for the people in Central America, they really don't need any more rain.

The bad part is the NHC has run out most of their budget,
so there won't be too many recon flights or extras.

Hope we don't get any crap-casts due to lack of funding.

Blind Eye in hurricane forecasts
Help Hurricane Hunters
Forecasting trouble
Despite rising threat, agency denies resources to study hurricanes

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Sylvrshadow posted a historical map of storms for this time of year. Seems that they tend to find Florida very attractive. Hope it's not a bad one. If it tracks according to the majority of current models, it will most definitely hit Florida. I have a sister in Tampa, and elderly parents in Jacksonville.

It appears to have started to become better formed now too.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
2:30 PM EDT Discussion Accu Weather

As of 2 P.M. EDT, Tropical storm Wilma was located near 16.1 north... 80.0 West or about 225 miles (365 KM) East-Northeast of Cabo Gracias a Dios on the Nicaragua-Honduras Border. Maximum sustained winds were estimated near 45 mph with higher gusts. The estimated minimum central pressure was 997 mb, or 29.44 inches.
Given the weak upper level shear and warm water Wilma could intensify into a hurricane within the next 24-36 hours

This one does appear to be heading fo Gulf then Florida. We need to keep an eye on this one. Its already started affecting the oil markets indicating they worry about Wilma.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi All,

I just checked the weather Underground blog of Steve Gregory, and this is what he had to say"

Hurricane Hunter Aircraft enroute to storm, appears to be 80 minutes out from center. Satellite images continue toshow significant improvement in the structure of the storm, and intensity. That initial intense convective
burst I mentioned around 1AM did in fact turn out to be the 'big event' that is permitting Wilma to finally
intensify. The storm also appears to have created it's primary core much further south - roughly near 16N/80W.

ALL the 12Z models are in agreement that the storm will eventually turn around and head NW and then Northward -
with GFS showing the storm ultimately crossing southern Florida as it heads NE away from the U.S. mainland -
sometime this coming weekend. A solid CAT 2 storm, with a shot of hitting a low end CAT 3 -- still seems like the
top end, but that's little more than an educated guess. And if it does in fact cross southern Florida, it will
likely be 1 full category weaker than whatever it's MAX intensity is while still in the Caribbean.

Energy markets responded with a large spike upwards, 4-8 percent depending on the product -- but most have returned
30-40% of those gains as the forecasts in general do not show a track to the northern Gulf area. For the energy
markets -- I'll have further commentary latter today.

A full update on Wilma will sent this evening - with a very brief update after getting the Recon's VORTEX and
supplemental data.

This was written today (10/17/05) at 1:20pm. I think it is a real shame that the NHC has run out of money!!! Hopefully after this season, they will get an much needed extended budget, as many folks are predicting a very active hurricane season to be the norm.

Here is Accuweather's forcast prediction map:

Here is NHC more conservative prediction map:

Here also is the IR from NHC:

I have no idea about where this one will possibly end up. I guess it all depends on the wind huh!?

[Edit: aargh-- me spliin 'es horrible t'day!!
]

[edit on 17-10-2005 by sylvrshadow]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'd gas up the car again.

I checked a water temperature map, and it appears that the warm water is down below cuba. The water in the GOM is warm but not as warm as the water that the storm is currently over.

From the models (the tracks are convergant!) it appears it might thread itself between Cuba and the Yucatan and into the Gulf. I'd think that if it did that it would be able to gain strength, and if it hit either the Yucatan or Cuba it would die out. Not sure though.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Wilma to become a strong hurricane

Wilma has the potential to become a strong hurricane. The storm will slowly drift to the west over a deep layer of very warm water. With slow forward progress, Wilma will spend a long time over this heat source and could explode into a strong hurricane in a very short amount of time. From there, the storm should enter the southern Gulf of Mexico as a Category 3 hurricane and may be able to hold onto this strength as it approaches Florida early next week.

Even if it does hit Yucatan or Cuba, I doubt that it will slow down that much.

Wind and water temps seem to point towards a strong hurricane hitting the west coast of Florida and possibly crossing into the Atlantic. Only time will tell.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wilma in the record books

Where does Wilma fit into the record books? She is the 21st named storm of the season, which puts her two ahead of the 1995 season. This number also equals the number of storms set way back in 1933 before hurricanes were named. The names list for 2005 has been exhausted. Wilma is the last name on the list. So, if any more tropical storms develop, we will have to switch to the Greek alphabet. The next names on the list are Alpha, Beta and Gamma. If this happens, it will be the first time ever that the Greek alphabet has needed to be used since we began naming storms in 1950.

This is only mid-October. We could have 1 1/2 to 2 months left of hurricane season.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

WILMA HAS BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY... BUT A MOTION TOWARD THE WEST
IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN LATER TONIGHT OR ON TUESDAY. STEERING
CURRENTS REMAIN WEAK AND ERRATIC MOTION IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH... 85 KM/HR... WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS... AND WILMA COULD BECOME A HURRICANE ON TUESDAY.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Any idea where to find wind current maps for the Gulf of Mexico?

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Here's a search page with several sites. I didn't know what you wanted exactly.

link

(mod edit to reduce long url to short link)

[edit on 18-10-2005 by pantha]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Any idea where to find wind current maps for the Gulf of Mexico?

Here ya go Darkelf:
cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...

Looks like Wilma's track has changed and is now going towards southern Florida.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
www.wunderground.com...

Statement as of 2:00 am EDT on October 18, 2005
Wilma has barely moved for the past several hours but a general
motion to the west is expected today followed by a gradual turn
toward the west-northwest. However...steering currents remain weak
and erratic motion is possible during the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds remain near 65 mph...100 km/hr... with
higher gusts. Some strengthening is forecast during the next 24
hours...and Wilma could become a hurricane later today.

Looks like she may be stalling to gain strength. Computer models have her heading to south Florida.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Citizens of New Orleans may face another evacuation, because of Wilma:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Mayor Ray Nagin warned residents Monday to prepare for another evacuation if Tropical Storm Wilma strengthened and moved toward the hurricane-weary city.
The storm's outer edge was near the Cayman Islands, but forecasts said it could pose a threat to the U.S. Gulf Coast this weekend.

Usa Today

The pictures of Wilma Tropical Storm are not really pretty...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I don't like the unneccessary scaring of Louisianians for Wilma, I don't think the data or info suggests a Louisiana strike, but the media seems to want to take the storm there regardless if it wants to go there or not.

This is definitely looking like a Florida storm and yes unfortunately it seems South Florida is the target
and of course it will fall on the weekend knowing my luck.

I'm on the east coast of south florida btw, looking at the satellite imagery if this thing comes across the west coast somewhere around Naples, I might be on the wet nasty side.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
cat 1 as of 11ish et

im off to buy some plywood..

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
NOOOO!!! I LIVE IN TAMPA!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
well I did my usual restocking of supplies today, since I tend to use what I stockpile on a regular basis and I noticed quite a few other people picking up water and canned goods. All the stores I shopped at were in restocking mode today, seems the trucks all arrived between last night and this morning, so there shouldn't be any shortage of supplies if you start stocking up NOW!!!

Don't know if anyone has a Brandsmart in their area, but they have a portable battery operated tv for $10.00. It operates on 10 C size batteries and when battery power for the tv gets low, you can still get radio signals. Limit is 1 per family, so I had to go in and out the store three times, because I had to pick up get more for other family members who were working today.

Home Depot's parking lot looked busier than usual, but I didn't stop in and didn't notice any cars or trucks with plywood leaving.

I'll say it again, if you haven't made preparations yet for this hurricane season, do it now, you can always use what you buy later and in other situations.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Wilma is now Hurricane Wilma as of the 11am Advisory

Hurricane WILMA Public Advisory

...WILMA BECOMES THE 12TH HURRICANE OF THE SEASON AS IT HEADS
NORTHWESTWARD...EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN FURTHER TODAY...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR HONDURAS FROM THE
HONDURAS/NICARAGUA BORDER WESTWARD TO CABO CAMARON.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR
THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.

WILMA IS FORECAST TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE IN THE NORTHWESTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA. ALL INTERESTS IN WESTERN CUBA...THE YUCATAN
PENINSULA...THE FLORIDA KEYS...AND THE FLORIDA PENINSULA SHOULD
CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF WILMA.

looking like it might be a strong Cat 2 or minimal Cat 3 if it makes that Florida landfall as predicted this weekend.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
May I suggest ADMON to change the name of the thread into
Hurricane Wilma? To avoid others can open the same thread and to update it.

Thank you.

That was quick. Thank you.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
..Help for the South

All of us close to Katrina, Rita, and now Wilma means more damage to Florida, but also to Ga, Ala, etc.
Apprehensive all summer, as we had 70+ days strong of thunderstorms in a row for Ga.
I am weary of being frightened, as we are all at the mercy of the weather,
and now we are just in for it again...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join