It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yours truly is ready and waiting. I made several dishes for dinner tonight, which can easily we reheated with a can of sterno should be lose power tomorrow. Shutters that lock from the outside are closed, the ones that lock from inside are partially closed. I'll close them before going to sleep tonight, we should be waking up to Wilma's worst in the morning.

The water in the canal behind my house has been significantly lowered and I don't think flooding in my area will be a threat.

I am dissappointed that more Broward residents aren't boarding up. In my community I would say 5-10 houses out of over 100 are shuttered. Everyone else seems to be in complete denial. My greatest concern is for tornadoes, we are already in a Tornado Watch.

Anyone in South Florida, that makes any excuses about not having time to prepare or didn't think that Wilma would come to here should be publicly flogged. I'm tempted to refuse some of my neighbors any help if anything happens to their homes tomorrow just to teach them a lesson, but I won't. I just wish the idiots would take Wilma a bit more seriously.

If Wilma was coming in from the Atlantic without touching land as a Cat 2, they would all be taking this more seriously, but somehow because they saw Wilma weaken from a 5 to a 2, they seem to think it's going to be a breeze.... Now while I continue to hope for the best and a more southernly track for Wilma, (so we can get in the weak side) I'm prudent enough to know to take care of my property and my family, because I much rather be safe than sorry tomorrow.

and btw, today was a spectacular day, sunny, breezy and warm. The wind is starting to pick up slightly and the clouds are starting to roll in.

[edit on 10-23-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I've told you this before
, but PLEASE BE SAFE!!! It sounds like you are, too bad most of your neighbors aren't emmulating you! Did you see my post on the bottom of page 13? I have a feeling that she's going to strengthen pretty substantially..........

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Good luck WW!

I'm surprised you had sun today, Flagler County has been horribly gray and still all day. We will get some heavy rains and probably a few hours of tropical winds, but nothing like you are facing. I believe we are the first county up the line from you that did not close schools for tomorrow. Volusia County did(Daytona area for those of you not from here). The only thing I've noticed here is the water pressure got much higher than normal. I suspect just in case they are keeping the gravity fed tanks at full capacity. (I have been saturating myself with splash back everytime I go to rinse a dish).

Florida really has prepared, if not the individuals. It seems all of Southern Florida has been lowering their drainage canals the entire week in anticipation of the run off. The Guard is on alert in every county clear up to the state line to send where ever needed after it passes from what I am hearing. It sounds like you have done everything you should. At least this one will go through fairly quickly for FL (not like last year).

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
thanks dangermouse and yeah I noticed your post, not what I wanted to hear btw

I agree Relentless, the state and local officials seems to have a complete handle and grasp of the situation and are well prepared. You stay safe too, we're all going to get a taste of Wilma.

Hope all our Florida members stay safe, you'll all be in my prayers tonight.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
We're boarded up and battened down here in Cape Coral. All we can do now is hope for the best. The worst part is the waiting, but I do hope it waits until morning to arrive.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
All schools cancelled (yay!...) Extra time on my college homework, as I only have class on Monday,

Anyhoo, we're getting a band now here in Tampa Bay, and rain is pretty heavy. Nearby, some areas have tornado warnings. So far, very little wind.

Kudos to the NHC for predicting this thing really well. I'd have never believed so sharp a turn. It's nice to see them this good at the game...

Now, if only my work will realize that TS Warnings do NOT make for safe road conditions......

[edit on 23-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hi All,

Sorry for no updates, Ive been fighting a headache.
But I had to drag myself over here to check up on things. (Im being accused of being an addict, but since I dont go to any meetings, I say Im fine!
) Anyhoo, I was reading the accuweather update, and Mr Bastardi had this to say about our outlook for the next few days:

Here is an excerpt from the hurricane discussion on our pro site by Joe on the entire mess, from Florida to what may turn into as big an event in the northeast.

Wilma. Landfall should be around sunrise tomorrow south of Naples and north of Key West with cat 3 pressure, though wind field will be spread out so the Keys and southeast Florida south of the track get it worst with sustained winds 100 gusts to 120 in the Keys, and 80 gusts to 100 elsewhere from Fort Lauderdale south around the Peninsula up to near where landfall from the southwest occurs. Winds north of the center to Tampa will gust to 60, and just north of landfall 80, with gusts to hurricane force on the east coast to the Cape and gales along all the coast to Wilmington NC. Heavy rain of 4-8 inches will occur across central and south Florida Sunday night and Monday. Winds on the outer banks tomorrow night all the way to the Delmarva and south Jersey and Long Island can reach 60 mph in gusts with steadily heavier rain amounts. The hurricane itself stays out at sea and becomes the eastern focal point of the large ellipse of low pressure with a center near 38 and 73 Tuesday night at a pressure of 988 or lower. The hurricane will probably be 300 miles east of that combining with Alpha. However the winds in the coastal waters of New england will mount to sustained storm force with gusts to hurricane force and seas should rise to 30 to 40 feet. Windswept rains of 1-2 inches should cover much of Jersey and southeast New York with 2-4 inch amounts in southeast New england Tuesday. Snows will break out tomorrow night in the high ground of PA and wave with a change to a tree snapping snowstorm from the Poconos through most of New england above 1500 feet late tomorrow night into Tuesday. The snow last night therefore ( it was talked about here last week that the first one would change ) may be the warm up for what could wind up as a foot of windwhipped snow with leaves still on trees in places. Combine this with the renewed flood potential, coastal hurricane conditions in gusts, and the damaging inland snow potential and certainly for New England this month goes down as one of the worst Octobers weather wise in history

You cant make this stuff up.

I live in MD so I would be getting the rain and wind. I can tell you now, that my preperation will be to stay off the roads!! The folks here in the MD, DC, & VA area are notorious for not being able to drive. When it rains, accidents increase x20, and when it snows, x100. (I wish I were making this up!
)

Anyhoo, my heart and hope will be with you guys in FL.
-Love to All-

[edit on 10/23/2005 by sylvrshadow]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Wilma makes me nervous. It is now up to 110mph and getting better organized. The latest dvorak image shows stronger storms building and getting wrapped around the center. The NHC is expecting only slight strengthening. I'm not convinced. If these storms can get wrapped around and that eye cleans up don't be too shocked if you can tack on another 15 or 20mph in wind speed to the current strength. The good news is the storm will be in and out fast. This won't be another Frances.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Last comments had the hurricane force winds affecting a larger area, and possibly even our area... We'll see. Hope that's wrong....

It does look better organized...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It is rapidly becoming better organized. Why is it when I look at this storm I see hurricane Hugo? I'm saying it right now... don't be shocked if this sucker rapidly intensifies to a cat 4. I'm guessing right now 125 to 135 range. Be wrong. Be wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
It is rapidly becoming better organized. Why is it when I look at this storm I see hurricane Hugo? I'm saying it right now... don't be shocked if this sucker rapidly intensifies to a cat 4. I'm guessing right now 125 to 135 range. Be wrong. Be wrong.

I think you're spot on and my prediction is coming true to a point from my previous post, the area of high intensity is now on opposed sides of a better organized eye.............

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Please don't say Category 4, I can see Wilma being a Cat 3 by 11pm advisory if not sooner, but hopefully she will not make it to Cat 4 and hits land weaker, but you guys are right, current info is making me nervous.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Same as Gazrok in my area. Ill be going outside with the camera during peak. Will post videos here once the power and everything is back on (if it goes out).

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yep, as before, I'll post any pics if I've got any of note.

To be honest, I'm hoping not to have anything for you guys, hehe....

We're supposed to get some of our nastiest winds overnight and early AM...as it makes landfall south of us. Thunder has been pretty constant, and still raining, though the band proper is just now almost all the way through....(till the next one).

The hotline to see if I'm going to work tomorrow's last update was Saturday. Personally, with the mayor saying not to travel unless absolutely necessary...I think I can safely say I'm staying home tomorrow and working on some homework, hehe......

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
stay safe gaz, I hope you were able to enjoy HH.

per my local meteorologist Don Noe, Wilma is almost a CAT 3 and seems to be moving more on an easternly path heading straight for Key West, he is hoping it's a wobble and will go more North East to spare the Keys from a really bad situation. I don't think as many people evacuated the Keys for Wilma as with Katrina.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here is the latest IR image...

and the latest Dvorak

Things definately look better. Or worse depending on your perspective.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
here in orlando the rain has begun, a few mighty claps of thunder, but nothing too intense,,, this is really just a stray rainband as far as i can tell from the radar.. speaking of the radar there is a definite eye wall that has formed again,,, not sure if its going to stay centered or throw itself out of balance again.

news mentioned something about a tornado floating up the turnpike to our south east, around the yeeyaw(sp?) junction... if anyones in that area

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
For those of you not familiar with Florida there really is a place called Yeehaw Junction. If you blink you miss it. You are looking at damage to a barn and maybe a cow or two

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm really getting nervous now

butterflies in the stomach and the whole nine yards.

Can someone tell me what happened to the wind shear and why Wilma is strengtening and not weakening?

Come on Wind Shear!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I'm really getting nervous now

butterflies in the stomach and the whole nine yards.

Can someone tell me what happened to the wind shear and why Wilma is strengtening and not weakening?

Come on Wind Shear!!!!!!

I'm guessing the shear happens to be in the same direction as the storm track? If that's the case, any weakening would be offset by the forward progress of her.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join