It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any aussie superheroes?

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I want to know if Australia have any superheroes or asuperhero team because it seems that every other country has their own superheroes
America have the X-men,Fantastic Four,the Avengers and others.Britain have or had Excalibur.I think japan had sunfire or something yet what does Australia have, the only person in comics i can find is the villain in X-men Pyro

If you can find any could you please post a picture

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
found a link you may like on this,

www.internationalhero.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Pyro was the only one to come to mind for me.
For a while the X-Men were living in the outback. I don;t remember them encountering any local superheroes.

Even Canada has its Alpha Flight. You would think Australia would have some kind of group of defenders.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Aussies dont need Superheroes, they have this bloke.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately, most Aussie superheroes are either sad creations of independent Australian or overseas publishers, or else they are stereotypical morons created by the big American publishers to be token Aussie characters.

This site has a good collection of Australian "superheroes". Marvel at the might of Killeroo, for example:

I also remember reading the dazzlingly adequate adventures of the ASIO superhero team Southern Squadron when I was a kid:

Southern Squadron were a local invention, I believe, unlike Captain Boomerang!

Who essentially sums up Aussie superheroes in the eyes of foreign publishers. Of course, there is always Tank Girl, which I hated but which enjoys a small cult following:

Sadly, Aussie heroes are fated to remain stereotypical until somebody from DC or Marvel actually visits Australia and sees that we don't all live in the bush and speak exclusively in slang. Until that day, I leave you with Captain Koala:

[edit on 15/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies people the heroes on that site are kind of what
i expected, most of them are lame and the ones that arent are from a different country

I kind of hoped there would of been a kick ass Hero but we have A lame-o
Pizza Man

Pizza Its not even Australian!

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by obiwan15
Thanks for the replies people the heroes on that site are kind of what
i expected, most of them are lame and the ones that arent are from a different country

I kind of hoped there would of been a kick ass Hero but we have A lame-o

It is a shame that the Australian independent comic operators have tried to focus on Australia tourism icons for some of these concepts, it does come off looking very corny.

Captain Koala? this is sad.

This topic has been the subject of many a conversation in our house as to what would make a good group for Australia and what they would be comprised of. Stereotypes aside.

I would not want to see some cliche boomerang bill characters or Sydney Harbour Bridge Man!!!

I went to the Supernova in Brisbane last year and the independents were there and some were whinging about people not going up to their stalls, not surprising with the quality of the art and writing.

Not all though, we do have some quality product with people like Eddie Campbell who has been producing great work for many years...."From Hell" and "Bacchus". Dave Sim as well with "Cerebus" however both are not themed toward the super hero market.

C'mon!!!!!!

[edit on 26-10-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This peeved me so bad .....that there was so little in the super hero genre.

My wife and I have started working on own title.

We have begun working out characters etc .

I'll post later after we have developed the story more.

This will take some time but I am giving us a year to have something at least up to publishing online at least.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Wow good luck with that I cant wait
Its good to see someone doing something about it
I really look forward to your future posts

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thanks,

I would like to give it a conspiritorial feel so will be touching on some issues that are spoken about on ATS.

Influences, Firefly, Star Trek Next Gen, Kingdom Come, Angel, The Dark Knight Returns.

Probably in that order.

We'll see what transpires.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well, sorry I don't have someone kick butt for you. There was this guy...

Known superhuman powers: Gateway possesses the superhuman ability to create a teleportational "gateway" from one location to another. A person can thus step through such a gateway to be transported instantly to a location many miles away.

Other aliases: None known
Identity: None known
Legal status: Citizen of Australia with no criminal record
Place of birth: An unrevealed location in Australia
Marital status: Unrevealed
Known relatives: Bishop (son, as proclaimed by Bishop himself)
Base of operations: Ophrah Industries headquarters, Denver, Colorado; penthouse in Denver, Colorado; mountain chalet in Vail, Colorado; house on Oregon coastline
Group affiliation: X-Men
First appearance: X-MEN (first series) #227

From here: www.marveldirectory.com...

It seems though that his son Bishop IS a butt kicker, although Bishop has American citizenship.

www.marveldirectory.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Bishop is a favourite Marvel character of mine however due to copyright issues I would not wish to use either him or his father Gateway in our story.

Thanks though.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
marvel.wikia.com... Here is a list of 'Aboriginal Gods' of the Marvel Universe which are representative of Australian Deities.

top topics

join