It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assault on Middle Class America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Why the governments seems to be targeting the hard working class of this country?

Are Middle class American been assault by the government? As I was watching the Lou Dobbs live on CNN last night he and his guess were discussion how middle class in America is suffering from the results of laws and legislation pass by the same people that were elected to help the citizens of this country.

This got me thinking that if you are a hard working American providing for your family the government is making harder for you to maintain a decent standard of living.

The cost of living is becoming a crisis, we have inflation last month, wages are not good, jobs cuts, and two major disasters seem to make Americans more insecure about their future.

Now we are facing higher prices on gas, fuel oil, food, medical care, education and all that is going to affect our spending.

We middle class are not making any more money to compensate for all the increases.

What the government is doing to alleviate the problem?

Well the policy makers are tightening bankruptcy laws to hurt people more, the federal Reserve keeps raising interest rates up to 11 times all ready and people that find themselves in need to borrow money have to pay more.

Now credit card companies want the federal government to raise the minimum payments.

Who are the ones to be affected by it? Mostly people that are on fixed incomes.

This winter the cost of heating homes will increased 30 percent. People are not happy with what is going on with their hard earned money.

Right now the White house panel set to do a reduction in the amount of interest that you can pay on your mortgage.

This is going to affect homeowners all over America along with the rising const of living many Americans will face very hard times financially.

Along with charitable contributions, the mortgage interest deduction is one of the pillars of the American income tax system. Proponents say it's helped push homeownership to nearly 70 percent and sustained the nation's economic recovery.

This will affect the amount of investment that homeowners have on their homes.

The more I read about what the governemnt and our elected officials are doing the more I feel that we the working class and tax payer of this country is under assault by our own elected officials.

Transcript of the show.

transcripts.cnn.com...

[edit on 15-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Lou dobbs! He show is one of my favor.. on CNN news channel. At Least he say things that you won't hear on other shows or other channels. at least he fight for the good of the American people.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I dont see a conspiracie here all governments screw people over , differnt political partys do a better job at screwing people over. Im not going comment on the fact that the American government has less "social responsablity" then other first world countries other then to say Americans seem quite happy that there government dosnt provide healthcare for the poor ,elderly e.t.c

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Its true all governments like to overrun their citizens, but in the US the hart and soul of the country and the ones that support the economy are their middle class hard working Americans.

If middle class American can not support the economy the country will suffer.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Its true all governments like to overrun their citizens, but in the US the hart and soul of the country and the ones that support the economy are their middle class hard working Americans.

If middle class American can not support the economy the country will suffer.

Marg the middle class have a important role in any first world country econmy . Just what role the middle class plays is a debate for PTS.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Marg, good topic. We often watch Lou but sometimes wonder if he is beginning to sell out. I often find he doesn't ask the tough questions.

I so agree that the middle class is disappearing. A I watch my fixed income go less and less further. I am lucky that we have some savings, but who knows what the future may bring.
In addition to high ticket items you mention, add health care insurance...if you are lucky to have it, you may be paying even more dearly fo rit.
A woman I know has a four thousand dollar deductible each year for her and her husband, PLUS monthly premiums!!!
Right now I am lucky, but who knows what will happen next.

As for the martgage deduction change, I think it will affect more upper middle class folks, certainly is far from affecting anyone in my neighborhood. It is hoped to go from mortgages for one million down to around $300,00.00.
newsday.com

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The low - middle income bracket struggles to pay the bills. We alreadly know that part of the problem is the governmenti screwing people over.

But you cant ignore the other part of the problem.
The story gose something like this.
During a time of low interest rates a middle income earner will borrow on top of the mortage or against there assets to fund a new swimming pool.
Dose that person/family really need a swimming pool?

At the same time the person will max out there credit card.
Why not laybye an item ?
There might be a waiting time before you get the item but you wont pay any interest.

At the very least interest rates will go up. At worst the person in question will have there hours cut at work or lose there job.

Theres no conspiracie here only a lack of common sense and the government screwing people over.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Marg, good topic. We often watch Lou but sometimes wonder if he is beginning to sell out. I often find he doesn't ask the tough questions.

Thanks DontTreadOnMe, we in our home, are also trying to keep our standards of living while supporting two kids in college and facing our income being shrunk by high cost of living.

At the same time we tried to avoid getting into our retiring funds and borrowing money our of our equity.

It’s very hard when the more things get expensive the more our budget suffers. Today it takes two incomes to support a family, and the more inflation goes up the two incomes will be not enough anymore.

I like Lou and he still can bring some good topics for discussion.

xpert11

Perhaps at one time people did get into expenses to keep their standards of living instead of tried to adjust.

But now a day people are getting into credit card max out and borrowing money because they are running into health care cost that they can not afford any more without a health insurance and many can not afford to get one either.

In this country the private sector that control the multibillion dollar industry that has become health care is making harder for the middle class American to be able to afford them.

The government is not doing anything to control how much any of these industries are reaping out of the consumer.

Look at the oil companies, while they are making record braking profits they control the prices we the regular American pay at the pump.

The new energy bill is another tax brake and tax give from the American people to them that have no need for it thanks to our government.

The government again gives them free reign over the people even knowing that Americans are not making any more money in their pay checks.

Every where you turn you can not denied that the Bush administration has been very Generous and favors big business over the same citizens that are the bread and butter of big business and the well being of our nation.

You see not conspiracy but I do.

"As a government increases in power, and as a means of increasing its power, it always has a tendency to squeeze out the middle class; to destroy or weaken the middle for the benefit of the top and the bottom. Even where there is no conscious alliance for this purpose, ... the forces to that end are always at work—as they have been in England for fifty years. In the nations that the gods would destroy they first make the middle class helpless, through insidious but irresistible government pressures."

—"The New Americanism" One Man’s Opinion, September 1957

[edit on 15-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Marg if people had put money aside instead of borrowing money for there lifestlye would they be in a slightly better postion now?
I look foward to reading your ideas about controlling the cost of (American) health care on PTS. As for Bushs coprate welfare what can I say?
Im sure glad Bush isnt running my country.
What exactly is the conspiracie?
Coprations getting richer at the expense of others ?
Thats a fact of life not a conspiracie.
Wouldnt the coprations get richer even if Bush wasnt spoon feeding them?

[edit on 15-10-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Im sure glad Bush isnt running my country.
What exactly is the conspiracie?
Coprations getting richer at the expense of others ?
Thats a fact of life not a conspiracie.
Wouldnt the coprations get richer even if Bush wasnt spoon feeding them?

[edit on 15-10-2005 by xpert11]

You know I live in an area that many people are hard working Americans that have invested on their future, I have heard their complains of how they have to tap into their retirements to cover for expenses that have come not because they are trying to live belong their means but because other problems arise, loss of jobs, sickness and other issues.

My husband and I are in that group.

Right now the scare of inflation is not longer an issue that people are just thinking about about but is already here and is affecting our economy and is hurting the same people that makes up for the supporters of that economy "Middle class America" or as today "working class America"

What is the government doing to help the working class American?

Nothing but make our lives harder.

Our government coming from both parties has turn into a group of partners that support monopolies.

Our economy is driven by profits, the patriot act have given power to the government to do indiscriminately expansion to control the citizens as it allowed bigger governments and more partnerships between the elite in power.

The American people have been modify to trust the federal government over the state elected ones.

The white house tax brakes are not helping middle class Americans but more the rich and wealthy of America.

We earn now less money that we did 30 years ago, and since 2001 millions of jobs has been lost to other countries, and many of them are in the manufacturing area.

Many smaller companies can not afford to give their employees full benefits of health care due to the increasing cost of health insurance and prescription drugs.

My husband works for a big corporation and because he is a retired Marine and he is under Humana tricare they company is using that factor to offer only a “Supplemental Insurance” rather than a whole benefit one.

People with low income do not make enough to afford even the half health benefits that their companies like Wal-Mart offer them.

Wal-mart is becoming the biggest employeer of middle class American now but their wages are not enough for a family to be able to live on it.

People today work more hours a week to make less money that their parents made back in the 60s. More working Americans are living at poverty levels, these people are without insurances for them or their children.

Who is to blame? The American people for not finding a good pay job or losing their job?

Many companies are reducing their pensions adding more to the poverty level that their retire employees will face after years of work, and our elderly in this country is also been targeted more and more the elderly can not afford even the cost of drugs in these country.

The list is enless, we pay taxes, we support the economy, what is our elected officials doing for us?

They are assaulting us with laws and legislation.

[edit on 16-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Marg thanks for the reply . Perhaps the title of the thread should be assault on the American middle class.
Cheers Xpert11

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The second term deferred reward to credit card crooks and Republican contributors with the new bankruptcy crackdown is about the biggest "war on us" stuff I've seen in my lifetime.

I've just been reading a few articles on the changes. Man, we got screwed.

The elderly this is affecting is almost all from healthcare costs. Get a job Grandpa sickie!

The young people it's affecting were tomorrow's parents and entrepreneurs. Live in your parent's basement and work for the man forever ya hippie.

The families it's destroying now? No words. :shk:

Clearly this isn't anything the people wanted. Wow, how did this happen?

I know, but each in their own time. The journey starts with your undoing Young Republicans. No matter when this administration's criminal legacy finally gets you in your life, remember this moment. You asked for it.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
You bet that the way is going to end is all of us after working for years to maintain our families, buy a home that will never be truly ours and at the mercy of the banks after struggling to send our children to college, that if you are able to even do that.

Where is the hard worker that was able to buy a home and pay for that home during their life times?

My husband parents bought their house cash back in the early seventies, my parents paid for their home within 15 years.

It's true we will be living in their basement if my husband and I lose everything we have because of sickness or lost of a job.

But then again his parents and mine, are also in precarious situation with the inflation, my mother already told me that the Island electricity and water was going to be increased three times over is already been passed and the politicians never asked the island residents if they wanted that type of increased.

So as the prices get higher their paid off homes will belong to the banks one more time because that will be the only investment where they can squeeze more cash to survived their old age.

This is the life that our elderly are facing and the one that we are already into.

Assault on middle class American and on the ones that already worked, fought and bleed to support America.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

You know I live in an area that many people are hard working Americans that have invested on their future, I have heard their complains of how they have to tap into their retirements to cover for expenses that have come not because they are trying to live belong their means but because other problems arise, loss of jobs, sickness and other issues.

What is the government doing to help the working class American?

Nothing but make our lives harder.

Our government coming from both parties has turn into a group of partners that support monopolies.

Our economy is driven by profits, the patriot act have given power to the government to do indiscriminately expansion to control the citizens as it allowed bigger governments and more partnerships between the elite in power.

The American people have been modify to trust the federal government over the state elected ones.

The white house tax brakes are not helping middle class Americans but more the rich and wealthy of America.

We earn now less money that we did 30 years ago, and since 2001 millions of jobs has been lost to other countries, and many of them are in the manufacturing area.

Many smaller companies can not afford to give their employees full benefits of health care due to the increasing cost of health insurance and prescription drugs.

My husband works for a big corporation and because he is a retired Marine and he is under Humana tricare they company is using that factor to offer only a “Supplemental Insurance” rather than a whole benefit one.

People with low income do not make enough to afford even the half health benefits that their companies like Wal-Mart offer them.

Wal-mart is becoming the biggest employeer of middle class American now but their wages are not enough for a family to be able to live on it.

People today work more hours a week to make less money that their parents made back in the 60s. More working Americans are living at poverty levels, these people are without insurances for them or their children.

Who is to blame? The American people for not finding a good pay job or losing their job?

Many companies are reducing their pensions adding more to the poverty level that their retire employees will face after years of work, and our elderly in this country is also been targeted more and more the elderly can not afford even the cost of drugs in these country.

The list is enless, we pay taxes, we support the economy, what is our elected officials doing for us?

They are assaulting us with laws and legislation.

Your right, I'm worried that 40 years from now, I'll be in poverty or still living at home. I'm upper-middle class, and I'M SCARED!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The Nukes for Mangos Trade Agreement offers total concessions in favor of INDIA
More American IT workers are about to be ordered to train their replacements from Bangalore, India, then they will be FIRED and sent to the unemployment lines in support of this trade agreement.

Originally posted by Adonsa
Re: Prez visit to India.
The outcome, as we know, .....

India gets to buy Nuclear materials
US promises not to practice any trade protectionism
US promises to double offshoring of jobs to India
US promises to raise the H-1B cap

What does the USA get in return? and more Americans will get acquainted with the unemployment lines

You guys are the conspiracy experts. What, may I ask, in the hell is going on?

posted by mikesingh
I'm surprised at your ignorance!
Apart from the geo politics of counter balancing China etc etc, there's a huge economic angle to it.

Topic was never about China to begin with. China has had favorable trade deals for years, millions upon millions of Americans lost their jobs to Communist China. That's old news.

posted by mikesinghNot just mangoes dude. There's billions of dollars at stake here. Just look at the companies India is dealing with and will shortly. And that's gonna give you guys jobs and dough.

Lockheed
Hughes
GE
Walmart
Boeing
Citigroup
AIG
IBM
HP
Procter & Gamble
Dell
Exxon Mobil
Microsoft
Sun micro
Etc, etc, etc, to name a handful.
Plus companies to be involved in construction of nuclear power reactors amounting to Billions of dollars.

Man, thats a lot of $$$$$$$ for the Americans!

Wrong answer, the jobs and the money in question goes to your country. Americans who lose their jobs in support of offshoring, and all of middle class America won't see one penny of that money. Are you a propaganda writer?
The correct list of companies are:

Tata
Wiprospectramind
HCL
Infosys
Accenture
IBM of India
Satyam
MPhasis
and a long list of Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Pune based companies.

posted by mikesinghAnd for starters, $12,000,000,000 worth of F-16/F-18 that the Americans are 'palming' off to India in exchange for signing on the dotted line. (Have you counted the zeroes correctly??)
And $30 billion (!) to Boeing for their 7 series of passenger aircraft.

The Nukes for Mangos deal is one sided in favor of India, no mention of aircraft are in that deal. The only thing that the US gets is permission to purchase Mangos from India, and double the unemployment of American IT workers.

posted by mikesinghOh man, that's worth a lot o' mangoes eh?
So for Christ's, get to know the facts before posting.

Cheers! Have some delicious Indian mango juice!!
I will not be your mango customer.

Mr. Singh, congratulations, you won. Your country is getting double the number of our jobs at a very high rate of speed. The H-1B cap will be raised as high as you want it. Friends of mine will be required to train your countrymen under "knowledge transfers" just before being fired. You have much to be proud of. Old predictions were that your country would have over 10 million American jobs by the year 2010, now that figure will double. Many promotions and pay raises await you as the offshoring benefits India, and becomes an ever increasing crisis for US citizens. You will, no doubt, enjoy a position of very high importance in the global community. Again, congratulations.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Adonsa

Well that is some nice bit of information I have not been on that thread yet because the tittle was kind of funny

But hey this is very bad indeed, I wonder what in the hell is our government doing!!!!!!!

Why other countries are more important right now that our own including our own working class people.

What is supposed to be accomplished here?

Does anybody has a clue?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i kinda thought it was pretty simple. theres a few reasons they do this

1. middle class is making money, but isnt part of the elite group of rich, top percent. so the middle class is where most of the taxes will come from. they cant over due the poor because they dont have much to give.

2. capitalistic america is creating a modern slave/slave master system. the poor will be the slaves, the rich are the slave owners. they need to eliminate the middle class because the middle class doesnt fall under either catagory. unfortunately the slaves must outnumber the rich by a great amount because the number of slaves must outnumber the masters in order for the system to work.

new topics

top topics

join