It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Amazon Drought Emergency Widens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
A severe drought in the Amazon basin is worsening, prompting Brazilian authorities to widen the State of Emergency. Brazils Military has been stepping up efforts to deliver relief supplies to thousands that have been trapped or isolated due to the severe drop in water levels.

news.bbc.co.uk
A worsening drought in the Amazon basin has prompted Brazil to extend an emergency across the Amazonas state.
Brazil's military has been distributing supplies and medicine to tens of thousands of people stranded by the dramatic drop in water levels.

Witnesses say rivers and lakes have dried up completely, leaving behind kilometres of sand and mud.

Environmental campaign group Greenpeace has blamed deforestation and global warming for the drought.

It quoted scientists as saying that the burning of forests has raised temperatures in the Amazon, preventing the formation of clouds.

Brazilian government meteorologists, however, have said the drought is the result of unusually high temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, that have also been linked to this year's devastating hurricanes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some of the pictures and information about this drought are shocking. Many environmentalists have blamed global warming and deforestation for the drought, wheras the official line is warmer ocean temperatures in the Atlantic, thought to be responsible for the increase in dangerous Hurricanes this year.

Tens of thousands of people are trapped, as the river was their only means of transportation, ships are left on sand banks in the many large ports along the basin and millions of fish are rotting in the sun amongst the mud. This is truly a major environmental disaster in the making.

We can only pray for rain in that part of the world and hope that the damage is limited. If this happens over the course of several years, we could be looking at the loss of the worlds largest rainforest and the implications of that are too grim to contemplate.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Anyone care to explain what is wrong with my grammar or spelling? I must be missing something here....

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Nope. I can't find it.

Blow 'em off. It's a good article!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks!

I felt this needed addressing and was quite surpirsed to find that ATSNN didn't have a "climate change" or such like category for these things.

I think this is something major in the works, like I said above if we lose or seriously damage the Amazon, we will be quite buggered....

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Don't worry Stu, some of us voted 'Yes'.

What worries me most, in the short term, about this situation, is fire. The whole region sounds like it may be being reduced to one rather large tinder box. Should a significant area be engulfed in flames then who knows what the outcome will be!!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Imagine of there was to be a forest fire in the Amazon! The amount of CO2 released would be considerable, then the "carbon sink" nature of the forest would also be damaged. Not to mention recovery from an extensive fire would take decades, not counting the possibility of a repeat!

EDIT:

An anonymous contributor has a comment your submission: (submission) (news) Amazon Drought Emergency Widens. They seem to think your source link could be better.

No vote was recorded, and you can go back and edit your submission if you like. Correcting this issue may increase the changes of your submission being voted up sooner.

Now the source is being questioned....honestly, some people......

[edit on 15/10/05 by stumason]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

news.mongabay.com...
news.mongabay.com...
news.mongabay.com...
news.mongabay.com...
news.mongabay.com...

Some Amazon related news links above.

Its sad really the state of the Earth with deforestation...the surface of mars but on earth as our future is what I see...

[edit on 15-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ya well there will be plenty of water there when polar ice caps melt

new topics

top topics

join