It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

asteroid 1950 DA potential impact probability?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have been reading about the potential impact of this asteroid in the year 2880 and, while it doesn't (obviously) directly impact (no pun intended) any of us, it has me somewhat concerned. If the "good news" is that if the asteroid's spin axis is the opposite alignment, it probably wont' hit us, that's not terribly comforting, is it? Commander, what do you think about 1950 DA? Perhaps there is a bit of a conspirancy (that's what ATS is all about, isn't it?) to not let us in to the actual danger? It seems like, from what I have read, that adjusting the orbit slightly given the 800 yr lead time would not be impossible, but one would assume it would take a real international collaboration both of time and money to achieve this. That is more worrying than the technology, which we pretty much have right now or will certainly have within a couple hundfred years. Will we be able to play nice in the sandbox all together for long enough to fight what would potentially be a global catastrophic event? What do you think?
some links to follow:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
www.space.com...
www.space.com...
www.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 15-10-2005 by DrStupid]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
why worry the nabout this asteroid when there are millions more we think have no potetional to harm us, and then they get their orbits some how altered to be put on a direct collision course with earth withen a few years?

This ranks up thier with winning the lottery and getting hit by lighting... you dont bother spending much time worring about them becasue the chance is so small

new topics

join