It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ultra jellyfish (my god is this real?)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Those first couple pics definitely look fake to me, I know some jellyfish can be very long, but what I'm not sure about is how big that can be in diameter.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
the massive jellyfish pic is definately a fake. done in photoshop. I am a photoshop tutor and the obnoxious teenagers i teach could easily produce something as realistic. the diver a different res than rest of pic.
I not saying that something like that dont exist though. Just not in this pic.
happy swimming y'all.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Where is the film of this thing, the diver does have a camera right?

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Kitsunegari says:

"box jellies are more dangerous, not just because of their potent venom, but also for the fact that they are the only jellyfish with eyes and brains. plus the fact that they actually swim, not only drift with the current."

That is not true.

Cubozoans (box jellies), like all cnidaria, do not have eyes and brains. As a matter of fact, cnidarians (which include coral polyps, anemones, and jellies) do not even have organs, only tissues. There are three layers of tissues in cnidaria: ectoderm on the outside, gastroderm on the inside, and mesoglia which is the 'jelly'. (The stinging nematocysts are merely specialized ectoderm cells)

The only multicellular animal simpler than cnidarians is the phylum porifera, or sponges, which only have a cellular makeup.

The "next up" marine phylum, platyhelminthes (flatworms), are the first animal to actually have organs and organ systems.

Furthermore, many cnidarians, especially the medusae forms as opposed to the polyp forms, are motile and can control their movement to some extent.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Giant jellyfish menace Japan
November 11, 2005

HUGE echizen jellyfish, which can weigh up to 200kg and have an umbrella measuring 2m across, have been causing serious damage to the fishing industry off Japan's east coast.
Thousands of the jellyfish have damaged fixed fishing nets while also degrading the freshness of fish by flicking them with their poisonous tentacles.
The population of the jellyfish, the largest variety found in the Japan Sea, has skyrocketed recently.

www.news.com.au...

Here's another similar picture:

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The Jellyfish is in color with no underwater distortion, easily debunked. The diver was truely in the picture, and the Jelly fish is probably pasted over top of a shark or something...

The least the hoaxer could have done was add some blue tint to the Jellyfish to make it at least appear to be undewater.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
that's an image (talking about first pic in thread) from the worth1000.com photoshop contests site....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join