It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ultra jellyfish (my god is this real?)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the original picture looks kinda fake to me, but you never can tell...there are so many things in the ocean that are so hard to believe. (IE; the architeuthis)

however, id be more afraid of this little gem here...

www.australianfauna.com...

The Irukandji (Carukua barnesi) inhabits Northen Australian waters. This is a deadly jellyfish, which is only 2.5 cenimetres in diameter, which makes it very hard to spot in the water.

This is a species of jellyfish which has become known about in recent years, due to deaths of swimmers in Australia. In 2002, Richard Jordon was stung whilst swimming off the coast of Hamilton Island. He was a 58 year old British tourist, unfortunately he died a few days later.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
this pic is definately a photoshop. if you open it in an editor and zoom in on the diver you can clearly tell that the divers edges are way more rough(very pixelated) than the edges of the jelly which are very smooth. i took the liberty of doing an edge detect on it so you guys dont have to. see how hard the divers edges are? this is because someone pasted a far away pic of a diver over a close-up of a jellyfish. they are not very good with ps either i might add!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I don't think it's a photoshop. I recall seeing this exact picture in the newspaper about a year ago (The second one Plop posted). I kept it. If I can find it, I'll scan it in.

Update: A quick search of my room revealed nothing. Although I have three drawers filled with misc. paper and drawings from the past few years that it is most likely hiding in.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
god i hate jellyfish. theyre nice enough to look at when theyre behind a glass wall, but everytime i got to the beach, i get stung. i saw that thing on Irukandji BTW, scary.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It IS a PS! It has been debunked on this very site before! No more than 6 months ago if im not mistaken..

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yeah I say fake as well..I live on the Puget Sound and I have saw some pretty huge jelly fish,maybe 3-3 1/2 feet across,and they are bright red.

Hah,I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they are usually around Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (very polluted water in that area)

None the less,that is a cool pic though.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
Not exactly huge but this guy is screwed! he looks well scared

Yeah, if you look real close you can see something brown coming out of his shorts.

I saw a show the other day about the Irukandji jellyfish. The thing is like 2cm wide and can kill a person. How in the hell are you supposed to avoid something like that if you can hardly see it? It's still not safe to go back in the water!

Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Okay, here's a little something. (Did I just say little?!) This is a pic of a Rhizotoma Octopus, which in reality is a Jellyfish, sometimes called the Barrel Jellyfish. This particular specimen is 40 cm wide.

There are also records of the Root Mouthed Jellyfish washing ashore with mantles measuring five to seven feet wide. On the high side, these particular fish are not poisonous.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
by not poisonous, you mean it doesnt sting humans, or it just doesnt kill them?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
My favorite sea creature thus far must be the Vampyroteuthis!

Not much is known, but I have watched a facinating documentry on it on National Geographic Channel.

I would attach a picture, but they are quite rare, and not the best quality.

I would much rather encounter these than their brainless icky transparant cousins.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Anybody for jelly fish soup?

"
though capable of attaining a bell diameter of 2.5 metres (8 feet), these jellyfish are highly variable in size; those found in lower latitudes are much smaller than their far northern counterparts with bells about 50 centimetres (20 inches) in diameter. The tentacles of larger specimens may trail as long as 30 metres (100 feet) or more. These extremely sticky tentacles are grouped into eight clusters, each cluster containing 65-150 tentacles, arranged in a series of rows."

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
WELL it seems not ture this is fake right?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's just a little Jelly fish. I like Jelly fish..... even if they don't go so well with peanutbutter.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
never go swimming in australia. ever heard of the box jelly fish? i think thats the common name for the one justdj described at the top of the page. but i think its poison is the most powerful/deadly of any creature if you were to compare them in the same amounts.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I would attach a picture, but they are quite rare, and not the best quality.

I would much rather encounter these than their brainless icky transparant cousins.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
yes Hawker9, the Irukandji is the deadliest and tiniest of the Box jellies.

box jellies are more dangerous, not just because of their potent venom, but also for the fact that they are the only jellyfish with eyes and brains. plus the fact that they actually swim, not only drift with the current.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I thought that the Chironex Fleckeri (Sea Wasp/Box Jellyfish) was the deadliest jellyfish. One of the deadliest creatures on earth.

That photo of the guy with all the jellies - there are some islands with lakes in the Pacific that have these stingerless freshwater jellyfish! They're completely harmless and it sounds incredibly fun to swim amoung them.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Sorry but the diver is sooo pasted over a pic of a small jellyfish. Cool fake though, it is cool to look at.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I agree that picture looks so fake.Now the second one looks real but I dont know. Man I really hate jellyfish.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Found this picture doing a search for the Box Jellyfish on Google Image Search.

WAY too close for comfort if you ask me! That is definately a Cubidae.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join