It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whos buyin the PS3?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm buying a PS3 mainly because its 1000 times better than the Xbox 360, in my oppinion of course. I believe that the quality of the games will be better and the overall graphical output will be better. I wonder if they'll bring out a modernised version of final fantasy VII

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
the reason to go with ps3

is because there experinced with making game consoles

unlike microsoft they should stick with computers and just leave the agme console making to the pro's SONY and NINTENDO

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There are a few major problems with the X-box/X-box360... most having to deal with Microsoft's strategy with marketing.

Firstly and most relevant to the new console... they are expecting there to be an overwhelming majority of people who want to play online games against eachother. Certainly they are going to find quite a few people willing to sign up for their XBL package and purchase cheap games to play when bored. However, there is already a huge community of people that do this, *ON THE PC*. Not to mention most of those people aren't even entertaining the notion of buying a Console, as the convenient little games you can download on XBL tend to be similar to other games you can play on the PC in a sense (Not all of them).

Secondly, and also importantly, Microsoft's releasing schema is about as retarded as you can get for a console. With very few rare exceptions, most of their major flagship titles got released to PC. That means no exclusivity for the console, as I can merely wait six months to a year so that I can play FABLE or HALO or whatever, if I had the desire to do so. With rare exception (Such as Ninja Gaidin and a couple other titles), many of the major releases that Xbox relied on were released to the PC. This is just bad business strategy, IMHO.

In concerns with sony in the same vein, Sony has released a handful of games to the PC over the years (Well, it is more the devs than Sony). A couple final fantasies, a few other games that were initially developed to be released cross-platform... but overall, most of Sony's faire is EXCLUSIVE, and can only be played on their console (Or a very good emulator, but I'm talking legal stuff).

One other trifling thing leans me towards any console but the XB360... and that is I do not enjoy the fast paced action and shoot-em-up games, flashy adrenaline pumping games, and just hard core sports games all that much. I am a roleplayer, and me likee my storylines. You can surely go ahead and mention KOTOR and I can counter with 1) the above mentioned problems, cross platforming... and 2) That KOTOR is an example of what I like to call "PC RPG's", which to me feel more soulless than the "CONSOLE RPG's".

Why do I say that they are more soulless? With PC RPG's you control what could best be called a puppet of your own id. Generally the character has less personality when you come to the table than an actual character, and you bring to your main how you feel a hero should act and such. Compare this versus a well defined character with a rich background, a set personality all their own, and a personal relationship and history with the other NPC's which enmesh together to weave a rich storyline which draws one in.

To me it is similar to the difference of "CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE" (PC) versus an actual novel.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You must be joking?

I stopped bothering after the Dreamcast, sorry but I got bored of systems selling on their name alone and not the fact they "add" anything new.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
you're going with the dreamcast excuse?

if thats the case the Sega 32x and Sega CD should've been first clue that SEGA is going down hill THEN the Sega Saturn came out and flopped. Dreamcast wast heir final flop.

lets look at Sony though.

They own EverQuest(s)

All their products pretty much rox eventhough they might cost more than knock off brands.

now to gaming consoles

Playstation 1 > DreamCast/N64

PS2 comes about and its just ps2 and xbox

I prefered ps2 to xbox.

now I've the PSP which owns any nintendo DS by a million miles.

based off that i'd say its safe to say i'll be happy with a ps3

unlike the

sega 32 sega cd saturn and dreamcast

not to mention

3DO and the the M2 expanison which failed cause of their idiot owner.

oh yeah nintendo has had masisve failure too

Anyone remember Virtual Boy? ROLFIES.

one last thing

PC Gaming > Console.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
That's on brand only.

What did the PS2 do, which wasn't done before?

That was the Dreamcast's Problem, they wanted to do something different which now people are adopting.

Internet Play.
Controller/Memory Card.

The PS1 was new, it changed the shape of things but the PS2 and by the looks of thing the PS3 is no great leap. Until people bother to change and do something different, I will give it six months after release and get them dirt cheap from my company, along with the games.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
That's on brand only.

What did the PS2 do, which wasn't done before?

That was the Dreamcast's Problem, they wanted to do something different which now people are adopting.

Internet Play.
Controller/Memory Card.

The PS1 was new, it changed the shape of things but the PS2 and by the looks of thing the PS3 is no great leap. Until people bother to change and do something different, I will give it six months after release and get them dirt cheap from my company, along with the games.

hey i like the style of ps controllers main reason i was PS freak. I agree consoles ain't doing nothing a PC hasnt already been doing for years.

my real bitch is this.

3DO was probably the greatest console made and during its time NOTHING could match it everyone was still 16 bit lameness or horrid sega cd which was just movie clip gaming.

I dont blame you on buying after release cause the price will drop and the xbox360 and ps3 will be having pricing war.

however i'll buy ps3 for the sole fact that their will be PS only titles. and they will be RPG games.

lastly HALO SUX

/dodges fruit while holding a Half-Life ROOLZ sign/

but really PS3 will have a more powerful computer and higher density dvds.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
PS3, mainly because its likely that my PS2 will never function again. But I'm hearing great things about the PS3, supposed to make xbox360 look like a joke. Graphics are my thing, I love a game with goods graphics, and if they are bad, it bothers me. lol.

I've always gone Sony for gaming, and will continue to do so. Viva la Sony! woooo!

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Floating point for x-box 360 : 1 TFLOPS
Floating point for Plastation 3: 2.18 TFLOPS
Floating point for the worlds fastest computer: 36 TFLOPS

Playstation 3 is 35 times more powerful than the Playstaion 2

Yeah thats what I have seen of the specs too 35 x more powerful the PS2 and twice as powerful as XBOX360.

Nintendo has been stingy with any tech specs which does not bold well. I would be they are weaker then XBOX360.

-Not releasing tech specs

-Cheapest price- Next Gen tech cost alot theres no way around that

-By far the smallest console - Mircosoft and Sony didnt make their consoles that big for a fashoin statement. The are using cutting edge tech and they needed that size to cram it into. To even think Nintendo will have the money to outdevelop Titans like Microsoft and Sony and develop tech half as small and more powerful is laughable.

This all leads me to believe Revolution will be the weakest in he power department and will try to compensate for that with gimicks, Console version of dual screens on DS

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Not I. Sony can rot in hell for all I care right next to Microsoft.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I've been a Sony fanboy for a while. However, after reading an artile in last months issue of Game Informer and a couple articles online, I am now hesitant.

Apparantly Sony has a new patent that would make discs only playable in the first console they are played in. They have neither confirmed or denied whether it will be used in the PS3.

If not, I will buy one. But if they do, forget about it. No more buying used games. No more trading in old games that suck or I no longer play. And what if your PS3 breaks? Go buy your entire game library from scratch. Not to mention your movie collection.

I'm holding my breath untill I see what happens whith this new technology.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm gonna buy one, but probably not immediately when it comes out. The only reason I need to buy a PS3 is Killzone 2, anyone see the video for that, it looks insanely incredible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join