It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Woman Gets 10 Years in Idaho Teen Scalping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The Idaho woman who scalped her friend for lying about having been raped has been sentenced to ten years in prison. The two were members of a punk gang at the time and the victim was wearing a Mohawk haircut as a symbol of her membership in the group. The scalping was done to remove the victim's distinctive hairstyle. The defense argued that the perpetrator is bipolar and was not taking her medicine at the time of the crime. It was also argued that the scalping was accidental.

news.yahoo.com
A woman who scalped a teenage friend for lying about being raped was sentenced to 10 years in prison for felony aggravated battery.

District Judge Kathryn Sticklen on Friday ordered Marianne Dahle, 27, to serve at least four years before she will be eligible for parole. Sticklen said she had little confidence that Dahle would seek psychiatric help and avoid harming society on her own.

The January attack left the victim, a 16-year-old identified only as Sheila, physically and emotionally scarred, prosecuting attorney Theresa Gardunia said.

The teen was too afraid of Dahle to read a statement at sentencing, Gardunia said. The girl has undergone several surgeries and will need more, she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was a shocking crime and the physical and psychological damage to the victim is incalculable. It is good that the sentence was harsh, but it cannot compare to the lifetime of pain the victim will bear. This crime and the recent bludgeoning and laceration of a pregnant woman for her fetus give us pause to consider just what must be happening to our culture.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Idaho Teen Scalped After Slight

[edit on 2005/10/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I find it amazing that this woman (and MANY like her) will only do 4 years in jail for a HEINOUS crime, when there are people in jail for selling or possessing marijuana that will serve 20 years.

[edit on 15-10-2005 by craig732]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
What a horrible crime

craig732 made a very good point
This crazy women could be back on the streets in a few years. I would consider her a danger to society if she could commit such a horrible act and to a so called friend no less.And yet people get a Minimum 5-year jail term up to a 20-year maximum for selling a little pot.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
I find it amazing that this woman (and MANY like her) will only do 4 years in jail for a HEINOUS crime, when there are people in jail for selling or possessing marijuana that will serve 20 years.

[edit on 15-10-2005 by craig732]

Be happy she's in jail at all. Here in Sweden she would have probably gotten away with a fine. Just a couple of week ago a guy that did a hit&run that killed 2 teens got a his sentence reduced by 6 months (to like 18 months in total). A rapist or murderer might get a year or two.

Our justice system is a complete joke compared to the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Merka, it is refreshing to hear someone saying something good about the USA these days... thank you!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What about the false claim of rape? Did some poor guy get locked up over this womans fantasy story? She should serve time as well for creating a story like that.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
What about the false claim of rape? Did some poor guy get locked up over this womans fantasy story? She should serve time as well for creating a story like that.

Indeed, while the action taken in scalping her was more than excessive, let's not forget that some bloke somewhere may have ended up locked away and even if that was not the case probably suffered greatly himself on those accusations.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Beg your pardon, but what exactly does it mean to scalp someone? If I remember correctly however it involves the skinning of ones scalp off the head..

Luxifero

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero
...what exactly does it mean to scalp someone?

From the article:

She said Dahle and another woman lured Sheila to a remote area, bound her with rope and duct tape and at one point held her under water. Then Dahle decided to give her the "haircut," she said.

"She cut off approximately a 6- by 8-inch section of her scalp," Gardunia said. "This was not an accident."

news.yahoo.com...

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: scalp

Function: verb

transitive senses

1 a : to deprive of the scalp

b : to remove an upper part from

www.m-w.com...

[edit on 2005/10/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow, that's very disturbing. You're one with credentials in the social sciences, so may I ask as to why one would be geared towards commiting such crimes, and if it all has anything to do with other variables such as economic, social, pyschological, or even cultural?

Luxifero

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
thats really disturbing, there is some really sick and twisted people in this world.

i still can't get over this story

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There is no easy answer to that question, but psychological would be the best answer, given what we know. Bipolar Disorder Type I can result in psychotic behavior and, of course, there are those who have personality disorders and fetishes that result in cruel behavior. I think we can conclude that, regardless of which clinical term applies, the woman is just one sick puppy.

new topics

top topics

join