It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why religion is hard to believe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There's no arguing that each religious faith comes from a history so far back we spend most of the time arguing over logicstics. Which I find extremely ironic for the following reason:

What would happen if a new sect of relgion and a new prophet emerged claiming fantastical prophecies that go against the general wisdom of the world's dominating faith? Persecution? Assassination? Outright denial of claims? Inprisoned for national security? etc...

My point is that we put so much faith into that very idea that happened 2000+ years ago. Also it is no surprise that historic prophets (as in the books of Bible) were murdered just like Jesus for such claims. Only post-humanously are they appreciated. Zachara (book of Bible) was taken to the edge of town and sawed in half with a rusty sword for his outrageous claims, now he is a book of the bible.

Are we (they) all just too narrow-minded to see these historic certainties? It seems like with a little attention, and the right words, this understanding is easy to understand. I just don't understand...

[edit on 14-10-2005 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I find modern religion just as hard to believe as Greek or Roman mythology.
People tell me I have to have faith, I can't do that.
When I was a small child I had faith there was a Santa Clause. When I found out that Santa did not exist I looked at how children are told to be good all year round or they wont get a present from Santa come Christmas.
As I grew older I applied that to religion also. You have to be good all your life or you wont get into heaven.
To me I see organized religion as a form of control, control through fear. The big religions use that control and even some leaders in religion abuse that control for personal gain. Some religions are worse than others in this aspect. Some religions even closely resemble cults.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What is the definition of good or the definition of bad? Someones good might be thought of as bad to others and vice versa

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Actually if you look at alot of religions, they are filled wit virtually the same thing.... Most of them are.. I am learning thru reading alot of things that I have to agree with all of them.. In fact its only that you believe in order to go somewhere after this life.. For you are the one that put yourself here in the 1st place..

Altho alot of the bible today is being changed again and again to stupid stuff.. Pick up a old bible for the 40's and 50's you will get a real meaning of religion..

Anyway I have my own belief in things, but i do believe most religions say 10 yrs ago to present are steering people in the right direction..

Most of all follow your heart in what you are trying to believe in.. Its the best way to see if its right for you.. Whether it be Christain, Islam, Satanism, or Buddism, I am sure you will find the right one..

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What would happen if a new sect of relgion and a new prophet emerged claiming fantastical prophecies that go against the general wisdom of the world's dominating faith? Persecution? Assassination? Outright denial of claims? Inprisoned for national security? etc...

Well, someone would have to be a real nut to claim they're a prophet of the world's dominating faith. For starters, they would not be a Christian and they could not possibly expect Chrisitans to follow them or believe any word they say.

Rev 22:18

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Also, the Bible speaks against false prophets.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Well, someone would have to be a real nut to claim they're a prophet of the world's dominating faith. For starters, they would not be a Christian and they could not possibly expect Chrisitans to follow them or believe any word they say.

Rev 22:18

For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Also, the Bible speaks against false prophets.

Man, how can you tell real prophets from fake prophets? They're only fake to you cuz you don't agree with them.

The author of this thread is right. Let someone come out and say they're the son of God, or God's right hand man, or God, or whatever, people are gonna attack that person. What's weird to me is that they would react badly to a person doing this that they could see with their own eyes, but accept a person who did this centuries before they were born and without them seeing them do it.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Like Joseph Smith, the prophet who founded Mormonism?

Or how Jehovah's Witness church claimed to be the prophet of God?

One group keeps bothering me in the street while the other keeps bothering me at home.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Man, how can you tell real prophets from fake prophets? They're only fake to you cuz you don't agree with them.

Hmm, I think you misread my post. I never claimed that. I saying that there will be no more prophets to be added to the bible. That if anyone claims to be a prophet that they're fake.

Let someone come out and say they're the son of God, or God's right hand man, or God, or whatever, people are gonna attack that person.

Agreed...

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Religion-the quickest way to separate you from your money. Have a liitle faith in your self for Gods sake.

I'm going to hell now. Can believe I just said that.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Religion is hard to believe for anyone who relies on their senses and reason when making observations about the nature of reality. I'm quite certain that the original basis of what has become modern day religion was a technical language for the complex science of astronomy, not intended for mass consumption. It was meant to be allegorical and the subject matter was rather specific. The fact that this information wasn't intended for mass understanding, and an inability to understand metaphors, especially those of a different culture, just adds to the confusion.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Racer5
Religion-the quickest way to separate you from your money.

I'm going to hell now. Can believe I just said that.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
SportyMB,

You are justifying my point by not being able to look passed the ideology of the interpreted bible. I'm saying that Jesus did exactly what this thread suggest 2000 years ago. People killed him then, people love him now. Under this ideology, in 2000 years, Bush could be that modern world's God. (especially if you're from Iraqi heritage).

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

People killed him then, people love him now. Under this ideology, in 2000 years, Bush could be that modern world's God. (especially if you're from Iraqi heritage).

I know exactly what you're saying and I don't agree. For starters (according to the bible) Jesus performed miracles, walked on water, etc..etc.. son of God, right.

Bush is bush...no miracles, no walking on water...I doubt he's gonna be martyred or anything like that.

So under this ideology, Jesus and Bush are not similar in anyway. That could apply to anyone, not just Bush.....I seriously doubt Bush will be held to the status of God 2000 years from now.

[edit on 14/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
SportyMB,

I agree that my comparison fell short. Although let me try to better define my position. There is more to Jesus history than you read in the bible. He has been written about in many cultures, because he was known to travel many miles learning from nature and his inner awakening. My point is, since you bring up miracles, is that many spiritual master (like Jesus was) have the ability to perform paradoxical tasks by ascedning their consciousness. It's called phsycic healing and mind over matter. Now there are many more spiritual master on this earth now than there ever was. Mostly they hang out in the mountains creating better connections with God by renunciating themselkves from the material world. They are just smart enough to realize that (from the point of this thread) they cannot change the world by force, but by time and inner effort. My point is that somewhere down the line, as with every religion, we had a spiritual master that reached a certain level, then when he or she died, none of the followers were as connected to the understanding as the original, and as generations pass, they get less and less concise to the original belief, which is the spirit.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
My point is that we put so much faith into that very idea that happened 2000+ years ago. Also it is no surprise that historic prophets (as in the books of Bible) were murdered just like Jesus for such claims. Only post-humanously are they appreciated. Zachara (book of Bible) was taken to the edge of town and sawed in half with a rusty sword for his outrageous claims, now he is a book of the bible.

Are we (they) all just too narrow-minded to see these historic certainties? It seems like with a little attention, and the right words, this understanding is easy to understand. I just don't understand...

Added bold for emphasis. AAC, faith is something that cannot be explained. Just like those who believe in E.T.s, they rely on thier beliefs. Faith in any religion usually comes with a spiritual epiphany. Those who honestly and fervently seek the truth will usually find it.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Faith in any religion usually comes with a spiritual epiphany. Those who honestly and fervently seek the truth will usually find it.

This is absolutely correct from the point of my own personal experiences and observations.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I know exactly what you're saying and I don't agree. For starters (according to the bible) Jesus performed miracles, walked on water, etc..etc.. son of God, right.

According to Josephus and others Jesus wasn't the only one at the time that could perform miracles. That would therefore make Jesus's miracles a bit less miraculous.
I think religions are hard to believe due to the fact they require a leap of faith and also the fact they are restrictive and prohibitive.

G

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
I think religions are hard to believe due to the fact they require a leap of faith and also the fact they are restrictive and prohibitive.

'you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free..'

Bingo!!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
First of all I think most religions do a lot of good regardless of whether they are true or not. I still find them all hard to believe because they promise things they never deliver. There is a lot of wisdom hidden within each of the various storys in religion that will enrich your life if you follow their principles.

For instance, what ever you do comes back to you, what comes around goes around or you reap what you sew, etc, etc.. I believe that. If there is any one principal that seems to be intertwined in all religions it is this one. It may take a long time but I have seen it with my own eyes come to pass. The buttox you kick today may be connected to the foot thats kicking yours next year or fifty years from now. You do someone wrong today and you will need a favor from them sooner or later.

Dad told the story years ago of how a fully grown man sit in thier classroom as a student and all the kids laughed at him and made fun of him. He got a late start in life and was trying to improve himself. Well next year he was teaching the class and had the last laugh.

No word in scripture has ever rung truer than judge not lest ye be judged.

new topics

top topics

join