It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2005 On Track to be the Hottest Year on Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Scientists say 2005 on track to be hottest year on record

WASHINGTON -- New international climate data show that 2005 is on track to be the hottest year on record, continuing a 25-year trend of rising global temperatures.

Climatologists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies calculated the record-breaking global average temperature, which now surpasses 1998's record by a tenth of a degree Fahrenheit, from readings taken at 7,200 weather stations scattered around the world.

The new analysis comes as government and independent scientists are reporting other dramatic signs of global warming, such as the record shrinkage of the Arctic sea ice cover and unprecedented high ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've been saying that this summer has been hotter than normal, but in South Florida terms that's a very difficult statement to prove, but when statistics show that overall the world has seen increased temperatures, I feel some sort of justification

The naysayers will say this this cyclical, more monitoring and provide a barrage of reasons against global warming. I think people might be hung up over the term "global warming" but with each new study and report released, it seems that the facts are showing that the earth is changing rapidly and we're all sweating a bit more.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Scientists say 2005 on track to be hottest year on record

WASHINGTON -- New international climate data show that 2005 is on track to be the hottest year on record, continuing a 25-year trend of rising global temperatures.

Climatologists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies calculated the record-breaking global average temperature, which now surpasses 1998's record by a tenth of a degree Fahrenheit, from readings taken at 7,200 weather stations scattered around the world.

The new analysis comes as government and independent scientists are reporting other dramatic signs of global warming, such as the record shrinkage of the Arctic sea ice cover and unprecedented high ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've been saying that this summer has been hotter than normal, but in South Florida terms that's a very difficult statement to prove, but when statistics show that overall the world has seen increased temperatures, I feel some sort of justification

The naysayers will say this this cyclical, more monitoring and provide a barrage of reasons against global warming. I think people might be hung up over the term "global warming" but with each new study and report released, it seems that the facts are showing that the earth is changing rapidly and we're all sweating a bit more.

Good find Worldwatcher! In Kentucky I believe we had more 90 degree days than i've ever seen in my lifetime. It seems like it was in the 90's from June on and upper 90's at that. The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a very hard winter, but I'm not buying. The fall has been weird here too. It's like the leaves on the trees are going from green to brown. Not the pretty colors you usually see. Everything is dying from lack of rain. I don't really believe we'll have much of a fall in Kentucky. We'll move to winter pretty quick and then an early spring; I believe.

Sorry if I went off track, but I just wanted you to know that I agree the weather is weird!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Being in an area that gets heavy snow and cold winters, I fully support global warming.

Jim Carey: I go out on the sidewalk with aresol cans in winter. Fhhhhhsssssssssss... fhhhsssssssssssssssss... Screw my grandkids, I want it warm now!

Yeah, again, still not sure whether this is just a natural cycle or humanity destroying the earth. :-P

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
SEPTEMBER WARMER AND DRIER THAN AVERAGE ACROSS U.S.,
WARMEST SEPTEMBER GLOBALLY SINCE BEGINNING OF RELIABLE INSTRUMENTS

The United States experienced its fourth warmest September on record, while global land surface temperatures were the warmest on record for the month, according to scientists at the NOAA National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. Also, three East Coast states had their driest September on record, while the month was the eleventh driest for the nation overall.

The 100-Year Forecast: Stronger Storms Ahead

The reason for the increase in storm intensity is that as the planet warms, the temperatures of the atmosphere and of the ocean surface go up as well, leading to increased evaporation and an increased capacity for the air to hold moisture. As this soggy air moves from ocean to land, the storms that form are heavier with rain or snow.

That analysis is in line with other studies that indicate there is no way to stop the planet from growing warmer through this century.

Somedays I feel like we are frogs in a simmering pot of water,
and we will boil before we find a way out.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Is the earth getting warmer because the sun is hotter?

From NASA

Although sunspots are cooler areas on the solar surface, the Sun is actually hotter when sunspots appear and cooler when they are absent. Scientists believe that a long period of solar inactivity may correspond with colder temperatures on Earth. From 1645 to 1715, astronomers observed very little solar activity. This time period coincides with an era known as the Little Ice Age, when rivers and lakes throughout Europe (and perhaps the world) froze.

When the sunspot activity slows down will we go into another ice age?

I live in Corpus Christi and it has been damned hot down here. Even at night. My electric bill runs $400-$475 a month. I look forward to the next ice age. I can handle cold. Not much I can do about heat.

new topics

top topics

join