It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Full Video Of New Orleans Police Beating Made Available By AP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The full, unedited AP video showing a retired school teacher being beaten by New Orleans police has been released today. Originally an edited version was released by the AP but due "enormous demand" the full video has been made available. The 3 police officers involved have been charged with battery. The man in the video has pleaded not guilty to public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation.

news.yahoo.com
NEW YORK - The Associated Press on Thursday released the full video of police officers beating a retired teacher as they tried to arrest him on New Orleans' Bourbon Street.

On Sunday, the news agency had released an edited version of the video, shot by an AP Television News crew the night before.

"Viewer interest in these images has been enormous, so we are putting out the entire video," said AP Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll. "Many times people like to see more information, which is why we post documents, transcripts and other amplifying material to our Web customers."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does this have the legs to become another Rodney King scenario? Is the civil unrest in America equal to the days of the police brutality inspired LA riots of the early 1990's?

Demand on the video is taking its total on server speeds. The full video can be seen here:

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

"Full tape released"

Related News Links:
www.ap.org

[edit on 14/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's already covered here, in fact all of the case so far is:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also do believe the video should also be on one of the three links I put up.

:-)

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The full video has only just been released by AP, hence the news item. How did you link it before it was released?

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It's one thing to beat his ass and donkey punch him.....but don't go booting him in the back when he's on the ground.....

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Does this have the legs to become another Rodney King scenario? Is the civil unrest in America equal to the days of the police brutality inspired LA riots of the early 1990's?

I think this may be the case... We will see after the trials and see if these cops get chagred with anything..

It looks to be another Rodney King incident all over again however.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
The full video has only just been released by AP, hence the news item. How did you link it before it was released?

Because Yahoo! updates their own links and the first one has the video on it. So bottom of their page will have a track-back to the new story.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Is there a way we can get this in a version we can download?

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Like I have always said before....if you can't handle a suspect on your own, you really shouldn't be a cop. It always seems it takes 3-4 of them to handle 1.

CX

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
Like I have always said before....if you can't handle a suspect on your own, you really shouldn't be a cop. It always seems it takes 3-4 of them to handle 1.

Whilst its obvious that what these cops here did was well out of order, the above comment is not one that most cops would agree with.
As an ex military policeman who can handle himself well enough when required to, i have enough experience of dealing with soldiers who needed dealing with by force, however when you are required by law to use recognised restraint techniques and specific holds which you are trained to do, its not always as easy to arrest a person on your own. You try holding a fully grown guy down on your own when they are thrashing about trying to take your head off and see how hard it is when he does'nt want to come quietly! Make it more realistic, try it with someone bigger than you, then see whether you reckon a cop shouild be able to arrest someone on thier own. Yeah i could have easily beat the crap out of someone and arrested them that way, but thats not professional, thats how you get cases like this one.
It does sometimes take a few cops to subdue a person, it very much depends on the situation, the person, size, and many other factors.

I'd have had no problems with the fact that they had a few cops there on that guy if they were doing it safely, lawfully and if he was going psycho on the cops, but he was'nt, and they obviously crossed the line when they stoped using proper police methods of restraint.

Hopefully that will be thier undoing because you don't need cops like that patrolling the streets.

CX.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
mY GOD!
I can't believe this is the kind of people that protect us...

at least the bullys in grade school (the ones that torture small animals, and grow up to be psychos) would stop when you're down...

This makes all cops look bad... and that is too bad... there are SOME good ones.
I am feeling compelled to do a little undercover work watching some cops...
any internal affairs people out there, that need some grunts?

Did you all hear the comments in the background... really gives you a pespective regarding the situation... there would have been a riot that night, if everyone wasn't drunk...

And i can very clearly see where that gentleman did resist, he didn't bend his arms backwards far enough after he was knocked senseless...

my god... how can these people sleep?

also, did you notice that the horse cop nearly ran over a girl that was walking over trying to help (witness) that made it even worse... if he wanted to help, he shouldn't have become an accomplice...

If there is nothing to hide, then why did they keep threatening the camera people?

[edit on 14-10-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Is there a direct link to the video?

I haven't seen it yet.

Troy

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I watched the Rodney King beating and this isn't that bad, but its bad enough, those officers should be suspended pending an investigation and/or trial.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What I find particularly disturbing (beyond the violence, of course) is the way that the mounted cop tried to manuver to block the view of the incedent by the person who had the camera.

In other words, the mounted cop knew something wrong was happening that they wouldn't want on film and was already acting in cover-up mode.

I think this indicates a common mindset among police these days. Us vs. Them and the tendancy to see everyone as a criminal. It's a scary thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here is the link of the video to his response, of actually what happened:

www.consumptionjunction.com.../downloadsnew/cj_49730.wmv

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
What I don't understand about this event is why the victim was so quick to point out that this was "not a racial thing"?

I can't say for sure WHY it took 3-4 cops to subdue a 64 year old man, but we have all seen how a DRUNK person acts and even how the cops handle them. There was no reasoning behind the beatdown this old man got.

I spent a year in Iraq and I took part in subduing hundreds of suspects, some were unruly. We have our R.O.E. and even though these are the bad guys during a time of war, we STILL didn't use as much force on them as these cops did to this old guy in New Orleans!

I won't even give them the pleasure of citing hurricane Katrina post-stress as a reason for their actions. Again, I was away from family for over a year, working in 120+ temp. day in and out, dealing with foreign people who you can't really trust.....and we/I were still expected to act with a code of conduct.

That, to me, is the REAL issue here: a lack of Code of Conduct.

Yeah, I also noticed how the mountie was casually blocking the video. and who was that civilian looking dude that was (assisting?) the cops? WTF was that all about?!

my racial radar is going off.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotThesmartestBut
my racial radar is going off.

It's not my racial radar going off so much as my totalitarian stormtrooper radar. I have a feeling that this kind of behavior from Cops is more common than we collectively realize as a society.

How often is this happening when there is no camera? Simple human nature dictates that it's probably happening a lot.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I'm digging the Stormtrooper idea. What with D.C. working on giving law enforments even MORE authority in the near future, are we heading towards an EMPIRE??

Is Bush actually a Palpatine?!!

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotThesmartestBut
Yeah, I also noticed how the mountie was casually blocking the video. and who was that civilian looking dude that was (assisting?) the cops? WTF was that all about?!

The Mountie is part of the “boys in blue club”, even if his comrade F’d up, he is going to cover for him. I know this because almost everyone I know is in the “boys in blue dot org”. Then you add a bit of other officers getting involved in a BS take down, and the adrenalin gets flowing, and these guys (other cops) that should have butted out don’t, they see the chance to take out a “cup’o’frustration” in what they consider a legal fashion (the prisoner disobeyed a direct verbal command). You would not believe how much weight these cops put on the disobeying "a verbal command" thing, even if that verbal command is to put your head between your knee’s and kiss your own buttocks. You would also not believe that most cops I know are the biggest rubber necker’s I have ever met, as in when there is something interesting going on, they all have to get their nose in there and their face on camera.

Apparently there is no limit to what they consider " a lawful verbal command", If you are a woman confronted by a male officer and he tells you to strip then lay prostrate on the ground and not make a sound, you best comply (after all you might have had a canceled weapon on you). If you refuse they have the right to beat you to a pulp until you do. Of course you can try and go after them legally down the road, but by then they should have 50 of their buddies that will back up their story. The minute you speak up and say “no, I am not doing that, call a supervisor, this is unconstitutional, etc.” you best be ready to have a can’o’whupa$$ put on you simply because you had the sheer audacity to say no to these blue suited minions of god. If you disagree, you should do a bit more research.

Oh, and believe me they know all the laws, and all the tricks, so down the road the court will favor them. There needs to be limits on what they consider a Lawful Verbal Command…

Ever wonder why when a cop has to shoot someone, there is usually about 15 bullets in them, this is exactly why, 15 guys get the chance (legally) to take a shot at someone. I mean after all that firearms training, you should get to at least shoot someone, right?

The guys in plain clothes were FBI Agents according to the CNN video; gee I wonder why they are not up on charges as well? Then what about the US Customs officer?

Ever get the feeling that the government is trying to get us uppity US citizens to accept that we have no constitution and are subject to the same police state rules used by many third world countries, I wonder why they would wish that?

[edit on 10/17/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
One more thing I wish to bring up here. Has anyone ever noticed how the police are going more and more to wearing military uniforms?

I remember years ago (early 90’s) asking a sheriff friend of mine why they could not wear fatigues, helmets, and carry automatic weapons like the Spas (Back then I thought the stuff would look cool). He told me that the police did not want to portray the image that they were the military. Anyone else notice how that concept seems to have stepped right out the window, and now they do all these things?

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What no boys in blue going to beat me down here?

Since our blue paladins are so above the law, I would like to know from one of them what exactly is:

1) Bush bond?
2) Fishing laws?
3) Lawful verbal commands?
4) Badge amnesty?
5) Badge bunny?

What do you folks think that the blue bar with a yellow strip in it is on the bumpers of cars?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join