It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Marijuana makes your brain grows

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
According to a new study, injection of cannabinoids in the brain of mice would make some new neurons grow

full article @ www.nature.com...


Marijuana may make your brain grow - Cannabinoid injections sprout new neurons in mice.

Most addictive drugs inhibit the growth of new brain cells. But injections of a cannabis-like chemical seem to have the opposite effect in mice, according to new research. Experts say that the results, if borne out by further studies, could have far-reaching implications for addiction research and the application of marijuana in medicine.

For several years now, researchers have been interested in how drugs affect a part of the brain known as the hippocampus. This region is unusual in that it can grow new neurons throughout a person's lifetime. Researchers have theorized that these new cells help to improve memory while combating depression and mood disorders.


Well so long the image of a brain destoying drug.

Mod edit.



[edit on 14-10-2005 by John bull 1]




posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
so maybe a change of laws is in order



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I find it disgusting that cannabis is illegal when alcohol and cigarettes are not.
Excellent find by the way..!



[edit on 14-10-2005 by AgentSmith]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
another thing, lsd is illegal as well, yet it is less toxic then vitamin c,
and not addictive



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Well according to Foreign Policy the socalled "War on Drugs" in not long for this world. Very well written article fyi a must read.

www.foreignpolicy.com...




The war on drugs will soon be over. It won’t have been won or lost, and we certainly won’t have wiped out illicit drug use. People will still pursue their personal pleasures and uncontrollable addictions. No, the war on drugs will end because drugs as we know them today will be gone.

The model drug of the future is already here in the form of crystal methamphetamine, a drug that is sweeping the United States and making inroads abroad. It’s cheap and easy to make—little more than Sudafed doctored up with plant fertilizer. One hundred percent of the profit goes to the manufacturer; no intermediary or army of couriers is required. Made of locally acquired materials in the garage or basement, the drug’s production is nearly impossible to stop. Only the stupid and incompetent get caught.


[edit on 14-10-2005 by sardion2000]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
That rubbish (meth) causes problems, but as they say, sadly it is impossible to stop.
I object to natural things such as unprocessed cannabis and magic mushrooms beng illegal, I don't see why a naturally growing plant can be illegal.
Deadly nightshade kills if eaten but thats not illegal.

Here in the UK they just made Liberty Cap magic Mushrooms illegal to pick, possess or consume. They are now Class A like Heroin and Cocaine.
They are not highly toxic if at all and though people sometimes may get hurt due to the hallucinations and doing something stupid, they are generally harmless and only grow for a couple weeks twice a year in the wild.
A lot more people cause problems every DAY from alcohol.

Ironically, however, the Fly Agaric mushroom is still legal and not covered by the law change as it does not contain psilocybin, but can kill very easily if not prepared and taken correctly, ridiculous.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by AgentSmith]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Doing a little dance, make you wonder why its is illegal, maybe it makes peoples brains bigger. hmmm.... Maybe, just maybe hemp is stronger and cheaper than other textiles.



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
According to a new study, injection of cannabinoids in the brain of mice would make some new neurons grow

full article @ www.nature.com...


Marijuana may make your brain grow - Cannabinoid injections sprout new neurons in mice.

Most addictive drugs inhibit the growth of new brain cells. But injections of a cannabis-like chemical seem to have the opposite effect in mice, according to new research. Experts say that the results, if borne out by further studies, could have far-reaching implications for addiction research and the application of marijuana in medicine.

For several years now, researchers have been interested in how drugs affect a part of the brain known as the hippocampus. This region is unusual in that it can grow new neurons throughout a person's lifetime. Researchers have theorized that these new cells help to improve memory while combating depression and mood disorders.


Well so long the image of a brain destoying drug.

Mod edit.



[edit on 14-10-2005 by John bull 1]


That kind of debunks the old myth that marijuana will make you lose your memory...
I wonder just how much longer society will continue to believe the lies & deception about marijuana?
I ran across another bit of information related to this study, the use of marijuana actually increases alpha wave activity
"Tests done with marijuana have found that it has very little, if any effect on long term memory or learning abilities. Marijuana has been found to slightly increases alpha wave activity. Alpha waves are associated with meditative and relaxed states which are in turn associated with creativity. Among other effects, marijuana has been found to stimulate the immune system."
anathemic.armyofpearl.com...
the above link has some very good information on marijuana...

IMHO one of the main reasons marijuana is still illegal is because it would destroy the pharmaceutical industry



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I knew it, I knew it! I freakin' knew it was good for my brain! But nobody would freakin' listen, would they? Noooooooo................



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'd really be interested in seeing what would happen if the 'safe' class-C drug cannabis was legalized and taxed heavily. It could serve as an outlet for those who have drug cravings. We could then put heavier penalties on other illegal drugs as well as fund this effort through the cannabis taxation. It's already estimated to be a $100 b + industry.



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah_John
It's already estimated to be a $100 b + industry.


This would soooooooo help our economy, right now!!



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
That rubbish (meth) causes problems, but as they say, sadly it is impossible to stop.
I object to natural things such as unprocessed cannabis and magic mushrooms beng illegal, I don't see why a naturally growing plant can be illegal.
Deadly nightshade kills if eaten but thats not illegal.

Here in the UK they just made Liberty Cap magic Mushrooms illegal to pick, possess or consume. They are now Class A like Heroin and Cocaine.
They are not highly toxic if at all and though people sometimes may get hurt due to the hallucinations and doing something stupid, they are generally harmless and only grow for a couple weeks twice a year in the wild.
A lot more people cause problems every DAY from alcohol.

Ironically, however, the Fly Agaric mushroom is still legal and not covered by the law change as it does not contain psilocybin, but can kill very easily if not prepared and taken correctly, ridiculous.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by AgentSmith]


Hit the nail on the head. Their priorities are so twisted that they are more concerned in status quo and free thought than real, actual danger. It would take a serious, SERIOUS rethink of the whole drug scene by the government for them to "do the right thing", but the way things look doesn't give me a shred of hope.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by chebob]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It is a laughable state of affairs as you say, they would rather people drink too much and become violent and lose the ability to think, rather than smoke cannabis which can promote creative thought (as long as you remember to write it down) and makes people too paranoid and 'mellow' to bother going out, let alone cause any trouble - without wanting to condone drug use in any way, obviously there are many drawbacks to any drug and it's not a good thing to get into.




[edit on 14-10-2005 by AgentSmith]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If you've ever tried anything illict from the Atropine family you'll realize why its not illegal. You'll never want to try it again, trust me on that one.



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
speaking of fly agarics, the are meant to be pretty potent and spiritual, with some people believing it to be the "soma" of Vedic culture. True it can be toxinous (not fatal unless the "death cap" is taken which is a different species to the fly agaric which is aminita muscaria, which the death cap is also aminita, but a different sub species, and while fly agaric is pink, the death cap is brown.).

however, on drying the fly agaric out at high temperatures, the toxin in the mushroom is actually converted into an hallucigen! I havent tried these yet, although i have got about 25g of dried ones lying around. I will prbably re-dry them/oven cook them jjust to make sure they dried proper.

I also think cannabis should be legalised mainly since ive seen too many fights, racism, vandalism etc when people are drunk rather than when high. And dont see why the govt has double standards with regards to allowing cigarettes & alcohol, and not marijuana

[edit on 14/10/05 by el_illumbrato]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
FWIW, I saw on the History channel the other night some info on the illegalization of marijuana. Apparently the legislation was an attempt to reduce immigration in the southwest; I believe the logic being that the immigrant mexicans used and worked it, and by outlawing it the immigrants wouldn't be so quick to come up here.

If I remember correctly, the federal law provided that marijuana could only be possessed, transported, or sold if you had a federal hemp stamp which (of course), was supplied in extremely limited quantities by the government. And on top of that, in order to get the stamp you needed to posses hemp, which is illegal without the stamp.

I can't find any reputable sources online--I'd rather not cite a forum with its roots in hemp legalization--and the History Channel's program details don't mention it (it's "History Alive", aired 10/08 @ 8pm Pacific). Anyone can verify this I'd appreciate it.



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"Marijuana makes your brain grows"

Anyone see a problem with this sentence?

I find the irony almost more than I can take. This is more than enough proof to convince even the casual reader why they call it Dope!



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
"Marijuana makes your brain grows"

Anyone see a problem with this sentence?

I find the irony almost more than I can take. This is more than enough proof to convince even the casual reader why they call it Dope!


OK, Can you read?

"it can grow new neurons throughout a person's lifetime."

It dose not make your brain expand in size.

Who is the dope here?

EDIT - My bad, I misread the quote - my apologies to Thomas Crowne

[edit on 14-10-2005 by netobrev]



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
another thing, lsd is illegal as well, yet it is less toxic then vitamin c,
and not addictive


That was the common street word back in the day when coc aine was the drug of choice of so many.



posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
"Marijuana makes your brain grows"
Anyone see a problem with this sentence?




netobrev, it's the 's' at the end of 'grow' that is the problem...

I do agree with the original post, though. I know people who have smoked pot for years and years on end, daily and they're brilliant!

If a person is a bum, they're going to be a bum whether they smoke pot or not. Pot doesn't make someone worthless.




top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join