It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is a measure of what is an important for american voters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is a prime example of just what issues are most important to American voters. The Mayor of Detroit who is running for re-election will no longer wear his trademark diamond earring since a poll shows that

women ages 40 to 55 didn't like it.

Wow such a hot topic too ! Detroit mayor sheds earring

I guess such issues as the education system, public works are really meaningless today GRRRRR.....

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So, you base your measure of what is important to American voters off something that motivated a potential mayorial candidate to remove his trademark earring....in 2001?

It is 2005, nearly 2006.

As far as I am concerned, running for a civil servant public office, such as a city mayor or state governor, etc. is still seen as a formal affair and position, meaning and implying that public perception still plays a vital role in how some may view a potential candidate and his message.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Seekerof,
You misinterpet what I am saying. This guy stated Wensday that he is losing the earring to help himself get re-elected. What happened to addressing social / economic / educational issues?
That is what I am on about. Why not push those issues / agendas to the forefront instead of his earring?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Opps, my bust.
I am sorry for mis-interpreting your message.
Sure you are not running for a public service position?

My apologies, kenshiro2012.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
No worries

Sometimes I think faster than I type and things get lost in the translation

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The mayoral election in the city of Detroit is rife with scandals and speculation. The current mayor and his entourage are often in the news regarding excessive spending. The was a party at the mayor's mansion that is surrounded in scandal:
news.yahoo.com...
news.yahoo.com...
Recently, the Michigan Attroney General dropped this case in the lap of the Wayne County, MI prosecutor's office. The state attorney general apparently (Detroit is in Wayne County.)
news.yahoo.com...

The other candidate's son has been busted for domestic violence:
news.yahoo.com...

And, last but not least, Detroit is possibly headed for insolvency:
www.crainsdetroit.com...

And while I don't think a father should suffer the sins of the son, you can see the poltical climate in Detroit is rather MUDDY

and, it's how many days to the election

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The political climate in Detroit has been muddy for some time now..and I mean over 30 years. This is not a new phenomonon nor is Detroit the only city in this predicament.
What I dont like is the concept silent or otherwise that Detroit is represenative of all of America socially or politically. Hollywood either nor New York. This concept in the media and politics is insulting to me.
Also alot of candidates and partys opertate as if they are the cats meow or the "tip of the spear " in political thinking and technique. Removing ones earing is something that should have been done long ago.
In many citys you have a aging population..of voters...you cant keep them on the string trying to be fashionable on thier dollar forever and expect their votes. People are catching on rapidly to that..especially with a aging population. They dont jump like a 20 year olde to the next stimulus politics offers for votes.
The internet and such blogs as this one have educated people to a line of thinking outside the standard settings on many peoples radio or television dials. It only takes about 20 percent to catch on ..and a election could be in jeapordy. These are the swing voters..not the dedicated party liners.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I remember when former Detroit mayor Coleman Young had his name put on the Detroit Zoo water tower...now that tower is in the suburbs (Huntington Woods I believe). People had a fit over that.

I also remember Purtan's People on 95.5 FM..."This is Coleman A. Young, Mayor. The A stands for _________."

Sometimes I miss living in the Detroit area...other times I'm glad I'm out near Amish country in Ohio.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
pretty ridiculous thing to do to grab votes. If politicians talked about issues people want in government and not issues that are only there to divide on religious/moral grounds maybe they'd be half way there to fixing up the place.

top topics

join