It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. soldier opens fire on fellow troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Morning exercise session at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was interupted this morning by gun fire from a fellow soldier. The military has yet to release many details on what happened other than they have a soldier in custody who fired shots at a training formation. No injuries have been reported.

news.yahoo.com
ASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier opened fire on a group of fellow soldiers during a morning exercise session at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, on Thursday but no one was injured at the Army base.
ADVERTISEMENT

The soldier, whose name was not released, "is in custody after firing shots at a physical training formation" but no one was wounded, Fort Campbell said in a statement.

It provided no other details but said the matter was under investigation.

The facility, on the Kentucky-Tennessee border about 60 miles northwest of Nashville, is home to the 101st Airborne Division that has served in
Iraq

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am not too sure on how this one will fall out. Is it another case of a Conscientious Objector firing on his own troops as occured during the begining of the Iraq2 war or is this a case of something else?
I will be very interested in what is revealed. I feel sorry for the troops that were in formation. If you can not trust your team mate who is supposed to cover your back, who can you trust?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
More info is needed before we can make an educated guess. This
soldier opened fire during training? LOTS of accidents happen on
the training field. When I was in basic training at Fort Dix in the
Army, there were bullets flying everywhere from the weapons of
those who had never handled them before. People didn't understand
range rules. My husband had the same thing happen to him in the
Air Force. My dad had someone next to him die while he was at
basic training - the guy stood up during a live fire training and got
nailed.

The article says he fired at a PT formation. Those are unarmed folks
and there shouldn't be any reason to have weapons there - off range.
Perhaps it was a personal grudge against one of the people in the
formation.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I am pooling info as it becomes available.
What has been released so far is as follows:
no charges had been filed
weapon used was a non-military handgun
Five shots were fired at the soldiers as they exercised near the 1st and 2nd Brigade headquarter
SeattlePI

As the story developes, I will add more

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
With nearly 20,000 troops being shipped to Iraq coming out of/from Fort Campbell, if it was not a personal grudge, it was definately someone looking to not go to Iraq.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
With nearly 20,000 troops being shipped to Iraq coming out of/from Fort Campbell, if it was not a personal grudge, it was definately someone looking to not go to Iraq.
seekerof

If he didn't want to go to iraq that bad couldn't he just throw a punch at an officer or anything else besides shoot at fellow americans? what an a$$

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
Is it another case of a Conscientious Objector firing on his own troops as occured during the begining of the Iraq2 war?

Can you provide a citation or link regarding a conscientious objector taking shots at fellow troops? It's news to me. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Sorry it took so long. Here is a link to the origional story that I referenced. The soldier was convicted if memory serves me correctly

CNN Soldier Detained for fatal grenade attack

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't think that's the same story man, that second one is 2 1/2 years old.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Intrepid,
I was responding to seattlelaw's request on the CO attacks in the past.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Sorry it took so long. Here is a link to the origional story that I referenced. The soldier was convicted if memory serves me correctly

I wondered whether that was the attack you were referring to. I recall it well. All I could find from that link describing the motive for the attack is this:

Military criminal investigators said the suspect was recently reprimanded for insubordination and was told he would stay behind when his unit left camp for Iraq,

Is there some additional information that has you claiming this guy was a conscientious objector? That's a pretty serious charge IMO. I find it a dubious claim under the above described circumstances. The typical motivation for conscientious objectors is their objection to killing people, not wanting to kill people. It appears from the article you linked to that this guy was simply pissed off about being reprimanded and angry he wasn't going to get his chance to 'wax some rag heads' as they (sadly) say. Try not to cast unfair aspersions about people who decide that murder is not their cup of tea.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I was responding to seattlelaw's request on the CO attacks in the past.

He was not a CO as you indicated he was a muslim who was against the war in Iraq, there is a differance.

The Los Angeles Times quotes him stating, after he was apprehended, "You guys are coming into our countries, and you're going to rape our women and kill our children."

NBC found that he "was opposed to the killing of Muslims and opposed to the war in Iraq." Reuters quotes one source saying, "He's a Muslim, and it seems he was just against the war," while another told the news agency that the violence was "politically motivated."

Source

Edit to clarify a co is based only on religious/ moral objections and everyone knows muslims are not against war per se

conscientious objector n. Abbr. CO, C.O. One who on the basis of religious or moral principles refuses to bear arms or participate in military service.

[edit on 10/13/2005 by shots]

top topics

join