It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Test Reveals How Many Eggs a Woman Has Left

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A new test developed by Professor Bill Ledger reveals the levels of two hormones produced by the ovaries, and one produced by the brain, to determine how close to menopause a woman is.

'Fertility clock' test for women

Clare Brown, chief executive of Infertility Network UK said: "This is obviously a good method of giving a women an indication of their current fertility in terms of how many viable eggs they have left.

Another helpful benefit of knowing how close a woman is to menopause is also mentioned in the article:

Mr David Sturdee, a spokesman for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said: "It's a common concern. Some women are leaving it too late to start a family. One never knows who is going to be struck by an early menopause. "A test like this could be helpful, not just from a fertility point of view but also for older women who are having menstrual problems such as heavy periods and are thinking about whether to have a hysterectomy or wait for the menopause."

This test is supposed to be available to the public in January of next year.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
That's kinda cool. I dunno how popular it will be, since we've survived for a few dozen thousand years just playing it my ear, but still a cool idea. I'd totally get it done then count down every month.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That is really cool. For a person like me, anyways.

I am currently 30 years old and not ready for children yet. I really don't know if I ever really will be, but something like this could be an alarm bell to let me know to make a decision quick or let me procrastinate like normal.....

new topics

join