It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keyboard Locks Up At Login! Grrrr!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
sfc /scannow

its first part THEN SPACE then /second part. no space after forward slash

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It brings up an MS-DOS screen for maybe 1/2 a second and then nothing else happens...

You wouldn't know any ways around this by using regedit by chance?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Enron

Here are a few things I might try.

Just update the keyboard in device manager with new drivers. Locate & download the drivers for your keyboard, and in device manager, update them with these new files.

OR

Registry damage often occurs when programs with access to the registry do not cleanly remove temporary items that they store in the registry. This problem may also be caused if a program is terminated or experiences a user-mode fault.

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft products.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows.

You can manually find the service pack you require Here.

OR

you could get lucky...
How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

The Last Known Good Configuration feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.

OR

What does your event log say?
Right Click on My Computer
select manage
select event viewer
select system
double click on any red or yellow events and look the codes and words up on a search engine.

Perhaps you can look up those codes instead of the device manager code, and get some more fix info.

OR

Boot to recovery console

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following
(press the enter button after each line you type):

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config

Reboot (Take the OS cd out first silly)

This puts your hardware drivers back to the original state when Windows was first installed. Be warned this required me to reinstall my network drivers, and I had to use another pc to download them.

OR

Last resort,

Search repair xp and follow the instructions carefully. You can repair xp without loosing any data with this method.

*SPECIAL NOTE*
If any of these work you owe all a the posters on this thread a virtual dinner.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Did you try a different keyboard? It could be as simple as that as I'm sure I've solved a similiar problem before like this. The problem with the keyboard turned out to be spilt coffie/pop whatever else lol

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You rock makeitso

You all rock!!

I'm gonna try each one of those....See what happens...

Virtual dinner indeed! I owe you all a virtual hundred dollar bill!

I've had a $hitty day folks...This computer problem is just a fraction of the crap I've put up with....

Edit: I think I'm on my 5th keyboard of the day
I wish that was the problem......

[edit on 10/13/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Also does you screen come up with some hex error codes in the bottom right of the screen? They should be just 2 characters.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hmmm - Doesn't sound familiar sardion...

Hex code as in color code? Nope...

Just my big fat stupid keyboard giving me beef today...hehe....hex codes are being set aside for tommorrow I'm sure

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
When you turn your computer on and it tests the RAM sometimes if there is some sort of short or some other problem a 2 Character code will appear at the bottom right of the screen. It is fairly noticable so if it doesn't look familiar then it didn't happen heh. Hope you cure you computer woes

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So we clarified that you tried going into Device Manager removing the keyboard, and then running the Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Panel?

Just double checking, before I try to figure out why sfc isn't working, lol.

[edit on 10/14/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yep Kala...No luck there...

I didn't bring it into the office today to work on....Out of sight, out of mind - ya know?

It was absolutely driving me bonkers last night....

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just as a comparison, try it on the machine you're on now. Normally it brings up a progress bar with a cancel button.

"sfc /scannow"

If you want, you can do it through CMD.

EDIT: What's your job anywho?

[edit on 10/14/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
EOH,
Try attaching the keyboard to another machine.
Does the keyboard work properly?
Attach a different keyboard to the problem system.
Do you have the same issue.

Check the pins on the connectors make sure that one is not bent and that all are able to be fully engaged.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
He just said he's tried about 5 keyboards, lol.

Considering the pins in the mobo are female, I doubt bent pins can exist on that side.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah - Unfortunately it's not an issue with the keyboard itself kenshiro...I've given that a shot a few times already...

Kala - Works here on my work PC fine....Just like on the problem-PC, it brought up that DOS window for a blink of the eye, but then it went straight into the other window with the cancel button....It stopped short of that on the other PC

Hmmmm....What do I do at work?!
I do all sorts of odds and ends stuff really - Everything from making sure all the staff get paid, inventory, building PCs (got three I'll be doing next week), graphic design, data analysis....Anything that needs to be done that someone isn't doing basically

We're a small soft-money driven prevention research center that's affiliated with FSU...

[edit on 10/14/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Just tried reseting the CMOS by removing the little battery on the mobo for about a minute....

Got a shimmering ray of hope for about five seconds when I saw the number lock light come on....Went in and reset the time/date...Saved changes and rebooted...

Light went off...Same problem persists....

I've been meaning to buy one of those external push-of-a-button backup hard drives...Think I may do that tommorrow...Back up all my files and just do a complete restore....

Someone stop me!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hum,

I might take a boot disk and boot directly to dos. If the keyboard wont work like that it is probably your mobo.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I still think it's the drivers, mainly because his OS is reading a hardware conflict. If not directly the drivers then some other software fault. But maybe that's just me and my wishful thinking, replacing mobo stinks sometimes, money, time, checking for shorts, gah.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I still think it's the drivers,

I dont think I have enough info to say what it is yet.

Back in the day, if there was a keyboard error, the bios would hang, and you would get something like this:

But today some bios have a setting to ignore keyboard error. If that were set on Enron's pc, then it would possibly still boot to Windows.

So one easy way to troubleshoot that is to boot to dos. If you can't type in dos either, it is probably not a Windows driver issue. Right?

If you can type in dos, then it probably is a Windows driver issue. If this is the case a usb keyboard may be the appropriate workaround since it uses the
kb dhid (human interface device), reg key instead of the Keybddr.dll found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\KEYBD\driver name Right?

Or you could try deleting the driver dll entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\KEYBD\Drivername to force Windows to load the default Keybddr.dll for a PS2 mouse.

it retrieves the name of the keyboard driver dynamic-link library (DLL) from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\DeviceMap\KEYBD\Drivername registry key. If no entry is found, GWES uses the default name, Keybddr.dll.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
*Scratches head in confusion*

It sounds brilliant...I just don't know where to start

I'm gonna sleep on that one...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Haha

Sorry for the technobabble.

I was trying to get two ideas accross.

1. A USB keyboard bypasses both the motherboard PS2 chip and port, and the windows registry key by using its own hardware (USB), and a different registry key than a regular (PS2) keyboard. So using a USB keyboard may be one workaround.

2. If you dont have a USB keyboard to test with, or the pc is not compatible with this type of device, then an easy way to decide if the problem is windows or the motherboard, is to boot to DOS(via boot floppy disk) instead of booting to Windows.

If you can type in DOS, then obviously the motherboard is ok and the problem is Windows drivers.

Best of Luck
makeitso

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join