It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google UFO Maps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Google has launched a site that Maps UFOs.

This looks like its a first attempt , but according to the text on the page it is soon to be updated.

www.ufomaps.com...

The page also has links to more maps and UFO info.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
That's pretty cool, there was 3 sightings in my area.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
That's pretty cool, there was 3 sightings in my area.

Likely more than that because the Map only shows one Month at a time , you can look at the sightings and distributions across the Country by the Month and Year that they are reported to have happened.

It is pretty cool!

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I would like to point out that Google did not launch this site, it simply piggy backs on the Google maps server. Sorry, I'm a stickler for details such as this.

[whois.schlund.info]

domain: ufomaps.com
created: 23-Sep-2005
last-changed: 23-Sep-2005
registration-expiration: 23-Sep-2006

nserver: ns29.1and1.com 217.160.224.2
nserver: ns30.1and1.com 217.160.228.2

registrant-firstname: Oneandone
registrant-lastname: Private Registration
registrant-organization: 1&1 Internet, Inc. - 1and1.com...
registrant-street1: 701 Lee Road, Suite 300
registrant-street2: ATTN: ufomaps.com
registrant-pcode: 19087
registrant-state: PA
registrant-city: Chesterbrook
registrant-ccode: US

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That's so cool! One thing is for sure... Those greys sure love visiting the USA...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76
I would like to point out that Google did not launch this site, it simply piggy backs on the Google maps server. Sorry, I'm a stickler for details such as this.

Are you sure it isn't a Google site?

www.freenewmexican.com...

It says here it has been launched by Google.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman

Are you sure it isn't a Google site?

It says here it has been launched by Google.

Yes, I'm sure. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't. They could just as well say that the National UFO Reporting Center launched the site because it plugs into data from both google maps, and the National UFO Reporting Center.

[edit on 13/10/2005 by Seth76]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76

Yes, I'm sure. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't. They could just as well say that the National UFO Reporting Center launched the site because it plugs into data from both google maps, and the National UFO Reporting Center.

Yeah, it is Google Maps with the new Google API software and NUFORC UFO sightings on a Google Map.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I dont think it's an official google site though.

Like people have said above it just uses the google maps api.

Any one with the technical skill could make something similar.

That’s why google’s so great, not only do they make a quality product but nine times out of ten they then release the tools to allow people to customise and further improve it.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It is new Google Software called Google API , and it allows information to be incorporated with Google Maps.

But Google owns the Google Maps and the Google API software that makes this work, and Google being the Corporate Entity not the people or companies using the software , is ulltimately responsible and in control of these sites.

This is completely different than someone just imposing UFO info on to a Google Map.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

This is completely different than someone just imposing UFO info on to a Google Map.

I totally agree. In the past sites that have done this have been asked to stop by google.

and Google being the Corporate Entity not the people or companies using the software , is ulltimately responsible and in control of these sites.

I dont think that’s right, i guess it comes down the definition of control.

They control the sites as far as being able to stop them accessing the google data.

I haven't looked at the agreement which comes with the google api yet so i dont know the exact terms but i would imagine the creator of ufomaps.com is in control of the site as far as it's coding, hosting, bandwidth, administration and so on. Google just controls some of the data it's accessing and not the site it's self.

If they wanted to stop them accessing the data they could, the site would still be there however it just wouldn't be able to use google. Which wouldn't be to much of problem as the engine the guys (or girls) have written for ufomaps.com can also use the data from MSN virtual earth. So technically the site would still be able to run even if google vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Its surely not Official Google site , it is really Google Software that allows the interfacing of Data Sets with Google Maps.

Yahoo simultaneously launched its own API software.

So these "mash-ups" are technically hybrid sites.

I don't think I was in the wrong by saying "Google UFO Maps". That is exactly what this is. Maybe I could have said "Google - UFO Maps". But really is all that necessary for our purposes here , to get so technical over nothing?

www.usatoday.com...

There are mash-ups for traffic conditions, cellular coverage, home sales and the location of potholes in New York. Newspapers are beginning to mash-up the locations of their stories with Google Maps. One of the newest mash-ups links the National UFO Reporting Center database to Google Maps. Interestingly, UFO sightings seem to cluster around Silicon Valley, perhaps indicating that many software engineers really are aliens.

Clearly this USA today article is about Google , not some anonymous person or NUFORC.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sorry i wasn't meaning to get picky

The title imo was fine, i was just thrown by this line of your first post

Google has launched a site that Maps UFOs

It's a little misleading because Google clearly didn't launch the site.

That’s all i was getting at

Didn’t mean to come off sounding like a nit picker

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess
Sorry i wasn't meaning to get picky

The title imo was fine, i was just thrown by this line of your first post

It's a little misleading because Google clearly didn't launch the site.

That’s all i was getting at

Here is where I got the Story.

Google Tracks UFO Sightings With New Map

Using the Google Maps API (or application program interface), www.ufomaps.com... launches an interactive map of UFO sightings.

(And the article goes on to say.)

The Google initiative is not the only site to use maps to chart UFO activity. www.larryhatch.net... is a detailed effort to graph UFO activity ffrom the past 50 years or ealier, and as a sizable set of graphs, charts, histograms and other data. www.ufodisclosure.com... tracks alleged UFO flight corridors and patterns near Bisbee, Arizona. While not offering maps, another serious effort of research is at www.ufoinfo.com...

I took the statement in Bold as meaning this is a Google site.

So I didn't mean to mislead anyone about anything, its a Hybrid site.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
That does make it sound like it's a google run thing.

Maybe it's been created by one of the coders at google?

Either way it's an awesome site

Thanks for the link

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Burgess,

My guess is that after it was noted this summer in the News that UFOs were one of the most searched Topics on Google, that Google teamed up with NUFORC as a neat way to advertise the new Google API software.

But anyway you are welcome for the link.

It will be interesting to see how they improve the site , and if the site will generate more UFO Sighting Reports for NUFORC.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
seems the ufo's don't like my area, heck there wasn't even 1 sighting in the entire state of louisiana

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpionxx
seems the ufo's don't like my area, heck there wasn't even 1 sighting in the entire state of louisiana

It only displays one month of any particular year at a time. Try changing the drop down box (at the top right) to May or June of this year.

new topics

top topics

join