It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Bird flu, It is the H5N1 strain!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Breaking news:

It has just been confirmed that the deadly strain of H5N1 is in Turkey,

This is very worrying news,

On this note the European health chiefs are asking for everyone in the EU to be given a flu vaccine to prevent a possible bird flu pandemic

The virus in Turkey is the lethal H5N1 strain which is responsible for more than 60 deaths in Asia.

EU spokesman Markos Kyprianou said: "We have received confirmation that the virus found in Turkey is avian flu H5N1 high pathogenic virus."

He said the test results indicated a "direct relationship with viruses recently found in Russia, Mongolia and China."

Link

[edit on 13-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Worrying news indeed Asala.

There was a woman on the train yesterday, on my morning commute, who had a horrible coughing fit that lasted 3 minutes. Everyone around her moved nervously away, leaving her standing by herself in the middle of the train - a neat little circle of solitude. I felt really bad as I was one of the ones who crept away too.

People are getting seriously scared about bird flu.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
COMMENCE PANICKING IN FIVE... FOUR...

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is an anticlimax at this point or not. Are they really going to make vaccines for EVERYONE in Europe, and will they actually work? (Emphasis on the second part.)

xu

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
EU is recommending everyone to get a flu vaccine shot BECAUSE this will lower the possibilty of any individual to get infected with H5N1 and Usual Human Flu together at the same time, thus lowering the possiblity of H5N1 swap genes with Usula Flu and mutate into the feared humanto human transmitted pandemic version of H5N1. Otherwise the current vaccine has no effect on H5N1.

we are all gonna die!

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
i wonder if this hase anythink to to with the prisoner getting set free early,and not becouse the jails are full

[edit on 13-10-2005 by leejones]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We know that this flu is going to get into the US, UK, France, Canada, etc etc. There's no reason to think that it won't. I agree that this is worrying, but panic time is going to be when there is human-human transmission that isn't stopped, like in Vietnam where it existed, but apparently was stopped. This turk bird flu is 'just' bird flu, not the human-human form.

At least we'll be able to see how quickly it can spread. Think about it, the one in europe is being spread from migrating fowl, to domestic fowl, and then to people. Imagine whats going to happen when a person can infect another person, imagine how quick it'll jump the globe with humans as the vector, not Wild Fowl to domestic fowl to Man.

Are they really going to make vaccines for EVERYONE in Europe, and will they actually work?

Doesn't matter if they do, because the vaccine won't be available until after the disease mutates and outbreaks, not unitl months after infact.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I agree,

No need to panic until it mutates. What you rarely hear is that this bird flu was already in the US some years ago on a chicken farm and at that time it was quarantined.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hi there, i agree, no need for panicking, but i think governments have to have good solid plans against an outbreak. I dont know if thats the case, here in Holland we have about 5 million tamiflu recepies but there are 17 million people here so i guess a shortage. And i think there has to be a worldwide campaign, in paper on television and on the radio, to prepare us all better. And i think its too late, if you wait for it to mutate and you hear its has mutated, then youre too late to do anything right? Well hope the best for everyone and that this thing is going over.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Pazzz, knowing how governments work, I think we as citizens need to be proactive and do whatever we can reasonably do to prepare for this potential pandemic.
We can't afford to do nothing and hope will be taken care of by our respective countries.

There are several threads her devoted to personal preparation.
masks
www.abovetopsecret.com...
preparation and awaremens
what is your plan

There are others, but this is a place to start.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
They don´t want to cause panic but EU governments are urged to stockpile anti-viral drugs. They also want "at risk" people to be vaccinated against regular flu...

AFP: Alarm mounts in Europe as lethal bird flu hits Turkey

13/10/2005

While warning against panic, the European Union's executive branch immediately urged EU governments to stockpile anti-viral drugs, and said "at risk" people should ensure they are vaccinated against regular flu.

The call to the EU's 25 nations came after tests confirmed that the highly pathogenic H5N1 strain of avian influenza -- the version that has killed over 60 people in Asia -- was confirmed in Turkey.

Scientists have warned that millions of people around the world could die if that virulent form of the virus crosses with human flu strains to become highly contagious among people

A sign reading 'this area is affected by the bird-flu' is displayed at the entrance to Balikesir
©AFP/File - Mustafa Ozer

Turkish health officials prepare to gas chickens in Kiziksa
©AFP - Mustafa Ozer

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazzzzz
here in Holland we have about 5 million tamiflu recepies but there are 17 million people here so i guess a shortage.

You have a far greater shortage than that, since tamiflu is only produced in a few places and is made for global production, iow, those doses (presuming you arent talking about ones already earmarked for Hollanders) are for the world, not necessarily holland.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hi thanks for the mask links, ill check them asap. Youre right Nygdan, we have 225.000 preperations for tamiflu available here, but only the raw ground material, and to make them as a tablet, thats costs time, so i guess Holland is not prepared, our health ministery asked for 5 million of them, there produced in Zwitserland, closest to Holland. I think youre right, im going to get a injection against regular flu, but its only possible from the 10th of november, cause the elderly and the weaker once are injected first with the injection, with weaker i mean people who dont have good immune systems. Lets hope its not going that fast, and that avian flu and a human flu do not mix and mutate in a H5N1 human to human flu!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hi this is from BBC news!

Case of bird flu drug resistance.

A Vietnamese patient has become partially resistant to the antiviral drug experts plan to use to tackle a human bird flu outbreak.

The UK government has ordered 14.6m doses of Tamiflu, but the Nature report suggests this may not be effective enough if an outbreak does happen.

At present, H5N1 flu strain poses only a limited threat to humans as it cannot spread easily between people.

But experts fear it soon might, and other drugs may be needed to combat it.

Emerging resistance

It may be that using Tamiflu (oseltamivir) for too little time or at too low a dose could contribute to the emergence of resistant virus, Yoshihiro Kawaoka from the University of Tokyo and colleagues say.

"Further investigation is necessary to determine the prevalence of oseltamivir-resistant H5N1 viruses among patients treated with this drug," they warn.

The Department of Health said Tamiflu was the internationally agreed product of choice.

"Our antiviral strategy is kept under constant review," added a spokesman.

BBC Article

[edit on 14-10-2005 by sanctum]

new topics

top topics

join