It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 - A Look at the Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This may not be very popular, but it needs to be said

No one seems to realize that there's nothing more tragic about losing someone in 9/11, than there is losing someone in a damn car accident. Yet, were expected to tip toe around these people as if they're really f*cking special. Piss on them! Get over it! Everyone else in the world who loses someone, no matter how tragic, has to go on with their lives....and most of the time, without gov't compensation!

No one questions that the people who lost loved ones in the 9/11 attacks suffered a tragedy that will stay with them for the rest of their lives, but was their loss any greater than that suffered by families who lost a family member in an auto accident, or a fire, or during the commission of a crime or in any of the dozens of ways in which people meet an untimely, unexpected death?

I don't think so. A tragic death is a tragic death regardless who or what causes it.

Certainly some firemen and some policemen and some of the victims of those attacks performed heroic acts that day, but the majority of people who were killed in the attacks were victims, nothing more. They were no more heroic than the pedestrian run down by a drunk driver, or the woman beat to death by her enraged husband for no apparent reason, or the innocent bystander killed in a driveby shooting.

All these deaths were tragic, all these victims are missed by their loved ones, many, if not most, of these deaths could probably have been prevented, which makes them all the more tragic, but these people were victims, not heroes.

I simply don't understand what makes the victims of 9/11 "special", and I don't understand why so many people think that the families of the 9/11 victims should be made instant millionaires, while so many other families can't even afford to give a decent burial to the loved ones they lost.

Many people want the site of the Towers to be turned into a shrine or memorial. If this is done, shouldn't we erect a memorial at the site of every accidental death?

I've been wondering why they're any more important than anyone else. No matter how many people died total, any family or friend of anyone who died in the WTC, only lost one or two family members or friends. To me, that's no different than any instance in which someone can lose them to death. It may sound cold, but no one whose lost someone really gives a rats ass about all those other people they didn't know. They may say they do, but I still hold to the fact that it's pretty much impossible to care for someone you never knew existed.

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
9/11 victims have in some respects the same symbolic importance as Private Jessica Lynch.

And rebuilding at "Ground Zero", and everything in the name of nationalism and "Patriot"-ism.

Their families have been looked after in some respects, but I wouldn't ever downplay the loss of breadwinners, spouses, parents, siblings, friends, in such overwhelming circumstances, to the people that knew them.

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I posted in response to this in the "58 Minute" thread... I'll sum up here, I don't see where there is a "HERO" Proclamation directed toward the VICTIMS anywhere...

Have I missed some BIG thing?

P...
m...

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It is questionable that the victims should be seen as heroes. The magnitude of loss has nothing to do it. It's how the situation is framed by the media complex, they make the heroes. But I think only the firemen and police that are dubbed heroes, not the victims. I don't think the victims are being portrayed as heroes.

"no one whose lost someone really gives a rats ass about all those other people they didn't know."

You know, it's the weridest thing. Before my dad got sick I used to feel the same way. My empathy was shut down. But now things are different and my empathy actually allows me to feel good or sad for others. It's very weird feeling and you won't believe until something happens to you.

edit- Dang Springer, you have a link to the JT project in your sig? Talk about heroes

[Edited on 13-9-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Why then, are the families being "compensated"? They weren't soldiers. They weren't risking their lives. Why are people going on about memorials? No one is acting sad about the event. They're all going on about the victims. We all know Bush has been exploiting the victims every since it happened.

[Edited on 13-9-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Oh. They're being compensated because its so tragic and sad. Simple. And they took money to shut up. Some refused and wanted to know what really happened ... and the gov't stonewalled.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It is VERY common among Civilized Governments to compensate the families of those who fall victim to attacks against the state.

That's all this is... Unless ofcourse there is something to what KTPR says... In that case it's quite OBVIOUS why they were paid...

K - I lost my Dad two years ago i know EXACTLY how you fgeel about the empathy...

P...
m...

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It's not just the families, though. It's all of America! They keep going on and on about the sh*t, and won't let it go. "We want a memorial. We want compensation for the families of the victims....blah, blah, blah, whine whine." When does it stop? Who's responsible for feeding the idiocy?
These were every day people. The people who died on the planes aren't even getting as much fake respect as those in the WTC. Have you noticed that?

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think I know what the difference between our perspectives is... I QUIT watching the "TV" news about 2 years ago...

Now I strictly get my info form many papers and the web everyday...

I have NOT seen all this that you speak of buy I can just imagine what the crows in the idiot box are spewing!

Think that could be it? Are you seeing this mainly on tv news?
PEACE...
m

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Good point about the people on the planes. All i've read is that they get a tape recording of what went down (a year after).

I don' t know about "all of America". I haven't seen anyone protesting. I think the media might be doing some very dizzy work. Find me a recent link of Americans, not the families, wanting a memorial.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Actually, I don't really watch TV much, except movie channels, TLC, and DSC. But it's obvious, isn't it? People everywhere, still having their moments of silence....still acting like this was more tragic than anything that's ever happened in history. What's really tragic is, they still aren't thinking about why this happened! They still aren't thinking about what our gov't did to piss these people off to that degree! These blind sheep are convinced that we're all perfect angels, and they just hate us because we're wealthy...or we have too many TV sets and DVD players...or we get Playboy magazine...or our women wear bikinis...or we eat at Mickey D's. Jesus Christ! What will it take to wake these people from their blindness??? These victims were killed because they support a gov't that is out of freaking control! Everyone outside the US sees it. We attacked Iraq for the same reason, right? Because we think their people weren't taking the bull by the horns and controlling their gov't, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this a vicious circle? That, my friends, is the true tragedy....the hidden tragedy, that no one seems to want to face up to.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It's defintely a circle o' hurt and vicious. Whatcha doing about it?

I'm just about to hitch up britches and skip over to Canada. Oh ... Canada ! Oh fair madian of glory and freedom. Oh ... Canda !

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
To tell you the truth, I've seriously been thinking about leaving myself. Canada is pretty neutral, aren't they? It's damn cold up there though.

new topics

top topics

join