It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-33 / X-34 Replacement (VentureStar)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2002 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Lockheed Unveils Images of Revised Venturestar
By Jonathan Lipman

Special to space.com
posted: 11:42 am ET
05 January 2000

WASHINGTON (States News Service) -- Lockheed Martin VentureStar released these images of the redesigned VentureStar, a proposed reusable launch vehicle.

The proposed look of the vehicle was changed late last year when engineers decided to move the payload bay outside of the vehicle's body. They added a pencil-shaped external payload, shown here carrying a satellite.

The VentureStar proposal calls for Lockheed to build the craft entirely on its own, without government funding.

Designed initially to fly unmanned, the VentureStar will service the commercial satellite market.

A manned version is expected to follow, and NASA will buy time on the craft to send astronauts to the International Space Station.

By moving the payload external it becomes modular, VentureStar CEO Jerry Rising said last year. The entire bay can be expanded if necessary, or removed entirely to be replaced by a proposed Crew Return Vehicle designed specifically for the ISS.

While VentureStar is a privately funded effort, the X-33, its beleaguered prototype is a joint venture funded by Lockheed and NASA.

The X-33 has a similar wedge shape and a similar internal structure of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen tanks, but is half the size of the full craft. Already a year delayed, construction on the X-33 has halted until NASA discovers why a panel on one of the fuel tanks burst during testing.

www.space.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2002 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Anything better than the Space Shuttle

posted on Oct, 24 2002 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Necro.

I agree, the space shuttle has past its used by date:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Were I an astronaut, I certainly would rethink taking the next shuttle mission. We're talking about seventies technology when we utter the titles Columbia, Enterprise, Endeavor, Challenger. I have your "challenge," why not use the gravitational pull of heavenly bodies to sail your craft, and let us try not stuffing our craft full of fragile human beings? Eh, ya think so?

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
They had quite a few problems with the Venture Star. However, I have to say, the VEnture star may have been the "White" sister of a "Black" project. If the miliraty worked out the bugs, we may see another stab at it.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Did you two guys look at the date? its 2 years old and the article is 4 years old. Why bother to comment on something we now know ain't gonna happen.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
We musn't change "the look." I am aghast that they have the audacity to alter "the look" of the craft. Oo, I may not survive this one.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by Jack Martin]

top topics

join