It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would Happen If We Withdrew From Iraq Now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It seems that many people across the world would like the US/UK to withdraw from Iraq immediatley!.

But what would happen if we did?

Would the insurgency believe they had acheived their goals, forcing the west out, meaning they could cease their attacks on the public?

Or would the attacks intensify as they tried to retake Iraq and return her to the way she was under Saddam?

I personally believe that the insurgency has no real goals, yes they want the west out, but what will they want after that???

Their only aim is to refuse Iraqi citizens peace, which at present they are doing a very good job of!

Your thoughts???

Mic

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
i said this in another thread, but seem applicable here in answer to your question.....

let me start by saying that i dont agree with the reasons we went into iraq to begin with. the time and resources could have been much better spent persuing OBL in afganistan (or pakistan, or wherever the heck is his now). but neither do i think bush is an outright liar. heck, EVERYBODY in the US government was hoodwinked on this one...even the major democratic players believed the intel (until, of course, they were up for election).

but now that we are there in full force, i think that it would be a major mistake to leave, and here are a few reasons why:

first of all, it would be just like beirut in 83, or somalia in 93...."the americans got there noses bloodied and ran". you think maybe that has something to do with where we are today? i do.

second, if we left right now, the entire country of iraq would slide into uncontrollable civil war. as it is, shia and sunni gangs are attacking each other every day and committing horrible atrocities against not only each other, but innocent women and children. without us there to at least try and stop the carnage, it would get ten times worse. kind of reminds me of northern ireland....brits try to step in and stop the mess, and they get the overall blame from both sides (and i know im gonna take hits on that comment, because im just a dumb yank that doesnt know anything about the conflict except what i read in the western press...forget the fact that im third generation irish).

third, anyone who has kept up on the middle east over the last twenty years and has any knowledge of the situation knows that saddam definitely had WMD...because WE SOLD IT TO HIM!!!!! (enough said on that).

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
It seems that many people across the world would like the US/UK to withdraw from Iraq immediatley!.

But what would happen if we did?

Would the insurgency believe they had acheived their goals, forcing the west out, meaning they could cease their attacks on the public?

Or would the attacks intensify as they tried to retake Iraq and return her to the way she was under Saddam?

I personally believe that the insurgency has no real goals, yes they want the west out, but what will they want after that???

Their only aim is to refuse Iraqi citizens peace, which at present they are doing a very good job of!

Your thoughts???

Mic

What Im guessing would happen:

Terrorist acts in the country would reduce (most terrorists are there because they hate the West with a passion).

The country could erupt with militias trying to control like in Somalia.

Iran would try and occupy Iraq, considering both countries have a majority of Shiite Muslims Iran would do a better job in stabilizing the country than the Coalition forces.

Ox

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
As Shire19 said.. The only real thing that might happen is that Iran might try to occupy.. And.. well the insurgent attacks would decline. You have to realise that these people believe the Americans are the criminals here.. And to a point.. They're right.. Now dont jump down my throat about it, it's true.. to a point.. Question: Is the "War in Iraq" protecting the American people?.. Answer: No.. The recent bombings in London and Bali are proof of this, Terrorist attacks are still going on around the world. Question: Can America achieve a definate "Victory"? Answer: No!.. Absolutely not, If so, please enlighten me, For all I see is more and more suicide bombers turning themselves into martyrs for their cause, killing the infidels (All of us I'm afraid)..

I'm sorry if I seem rude, But it's just the truth, The USA would stand to lose nothing from withdrawing, and so they should, this occupation isnt just affecting the USA anymore, it's taking it's toll on the entire world.. And it's ridiculous.

Jeff

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'd say the moment the U.S-led Coalition Forces withdraw from Iraq, it will be reminiscent of Vietnam. Nah, I think the Americans are too PROUD to back away from a fight. Indeed, aren't they war-tired by know after being in Afghanistan and now Iraq. What the hell did you Americans eat to keep you so STRONG???

The consequences of such action would be disastrous to the U.S, of course. Since they spend so much time, effort, money and manpower on such stupid move. Well, to them maybe it is a strategic move to secure the oil fields or yada yada..etc.

Moreover, the moment U.S-led Coalition Forces are gone I can bet with you Iraq will fade away into the darkness and history will repeat itself whether you like it or not. Maybe even the Middle East Coalition of countries would come to the aid of Iraq and turn it into a Islamic Republic just like Iran.

America is/was and always have been INCORRIGIBLE. No doubt about that.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartagram
I'd say the moment the U.S-led Coalition Forces withdraw from Iraq, it will be reminiscent of Vietnam. Nah, I think the Americans are too PROUD to back away from a fight. Indeed, aren't they war-tired by know after being in Afghanistan and now Iraq. What the hell did you Americans eat to keep you so STRONG???

The consequences of such action would be disastrous to the U.S, of course. Since they spend so much time, effort, money and manpower on such stupid move. Well, to them maybe it is a strategic move to secure the oil fields or yada yada..etc.

Moreover, the moment U.S-led Coalition Forces are gone I can bet with you Iraq will fade away into the darkness and history will repeat itself whether you like it or not. Maybe even the Middle East Coalition of countries would come to the aid of Iraq and turn it into a Islamic Republic just like Iran.

America is/was and always have been INCORRIGIBLE. No doubt about that.

im curious heart....what country are you from?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

My country? Nah, if you check out the map, you wouldn't even be able to spot it. I'm an Asian and proud to be one. Why do you ask?

Anyways, my statements about the Americans are as true as the tales of hogzilla. Only such blind and ignorant person wouldn't get the idea that U.S is going for Oil control behind that veil of liberation and justice. I ponder why people are so easily fooled by the beautiful words of America.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   

My country? Nah, if you check out the map, you wouldn't even be able to spot it. I'm an Asian and proud to be one. Why do you ask?

Anyways, my statements about the Americans are as true as the tales of hogzilla. Only such blind and ignorant person wouldn't get the idea that U.S is going for Oil control behind that veil of liberation and justice. I ponder why people are so easily fooled by the beautiful words of America.

well, because you make it sound like we are the only country that has ever invaded another for shady reasons. im betting whatever secret country youre from isnt exactly innocent.

and by the way...labeling all americans "ignorant" and "stupid" just because you disagree with US policy is ignorant and stupid in itself.

are all muslims killers and jew-haters because a few radicals believe they can corrupt the koran into saying that's the way they should behave?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Actually Your statements about American's are quite Ignorant, Stupidic, Ill-informed and state your IQ around judging people quite well.

On to the topic:
The terrorists care none about if we are in Iraq, or in our own damn office buildings trying to provide for our families. This should be very clear from events that have taken place in this country and others in the last ....oh say..... 20 years or more? We could put all our fingers together and still not be able to count how many attacks have taken place in countries outside of Iraq and Afganistan in the past decades. Now how many are there that we know about that have occured in the US since 911? None successful that i know about. But i guarantee you that if we pull out of Iraq and let it secumb to larger scale terrorist breeding ground, Al-Quaeda and other terrorist organizations will come out from the defensive and gain momentum. More buildings or worse are going to start blowing up in this country, as well as others.

Carburetor

Order in Iraq must succeed.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
My view. If America & Britain pulled out the country would disintegrate into civil war. Would terrorism cease? No because the terrorists (whilst killing the American’s and Brits) are also killing their own people. Terrorists have their own agenda.

Would Iran take over – I don’t believe they would.

Would Iraq become a breeding ground for more terrorists? Yes, I believe they would. Terrorism didn’t start with Iraq and Afghanistan but American & Britain going into Iraq has given the terrorists the excuse (and in their misguided way justification and “legitimacy”) to continue the ‘fight’.

Repression breeds aggression. Whichever way you cut it the people of Iraq are repressed. Should America and Britain have gone into Iraq in the first place? No. Did the people of Iraq need liberating? Yes they did, but there had to be a better way.

[edit on 13/10/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Mr Carburetor and snafu7700,

It seems both of you are still blinded by the real reason behind the war in Iraq. Tell me are you the ones who voted yes in the polls about "regret of invading Iraq" because I know most Americans are having setbacks about invading Iraq and I entirely respect them from their heads to their toes. These are the people who are the true Americans. They are what I believe to be upholding what you guys have been "trying" to uphold which is righteousness.

Tell me again why did the U.S invade Iraq?

well, because you make it sound like we are the only country that has ever invaded another for shady reasons. im betting whatever secret country youre from isnt exactly innocent.

And to snafu7700, I bet you're surprise to find out that some countries have never even invade other countries for some shady reasons.

Americans are INCORRIGIBLE.
Define INCORRIGIBLE.

In simple words it means "Incapable of being corrected or reformed". Give me one good example that U.S has accepted the critique of other countries towards their stance on Iraq before the Iraq war or any other events?

Furthermore, I do not hate the Americans. I hate the blind and ignorant Americans who just say "yes" to whatever the country wants them to do. Be it invade another country for some inaccurate reason and then jumping to another reason after the latter.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
well, if you would have the intestinal fortitude to admit to your country of record, i'll bet i could find some case where said country did something that wasnt so savoury.

as far as your statement about regret of invading iraq, if you read through my posts you will find that i have stated over and over again that i do not agree with our reasons for invading to begin with.

but of course, you seem to be a "skimmer." skim over the parts where people admit mistakes, then try to find something to attack them with.

i am an american, and a veteran...proud of both. do i agree with US policy? not all the time. but at least i admit to our mistakes and try to correct them by voting my concsience in the elections....and not try to blame everyone else in the world for them, as some (and i emphasize "some") of the people on this site seem to do to americans.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Furthermore, I do not hate the Americans. I hate the blind and ignorant Americans who just say "yes" to whatever the country wants them to do. Be it invade another country for some inaccurate reason and then jumping to another reason after the latter.

Is it fair or reasonable to hate people just because they are swayed by misinformation? Is it fair to direct your hatred toward people who may not have the capacity to determine ‘fact from fantasy’? There have been some very compelling arguments over so many issues of late. Many, many people are confused over any number of issues. At some point as people of this earth we have to make a call and go one way or the other (and yes perhaps we change our views any number of times) and we do not always get it right - but then I bet you don’t either. That isn’t a good enough reason to hate.

Hate is such a destructive emotion.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Mr Carburetor and snafu7700,

These are the people who are the true Americans. They are what I believe to be upholding what you guys have been "trying" to uphold which is righteousness.

I can see what righteousness means in your eyes. Does that mean Everyone must see it your way to be righteous and a true American?
Labelling a True American by the polls they vote in, are like labeling you Not True Chinese cause you chose to eat Thai Rice. This clearly shows that you are ill-informed on the US culture and its people. Our freedom of individualism and deversities whether it be our opinions or our goals unite us and for that we are True Americans.

And your statements thus far on Americans clearly state your opinons of us. You're too deep for back pedaling. You have your opinion and we have ours, not much ground to make here as your hypocrasy to the word incorrigible as you defined it makes it difficult.

Carburetor

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Mr Carburetor]

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Mr Carburetor]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
No Americans or Iraqis would die from the war.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

If you meet such folt, please direct them to your nearest mental hospital.

It's quite obvious that Iraq needs the Coalition of the Willing to maintain (reasonable) peace within the country - if all the troops are sent back, then the country would be taken over by terrorists and extremists within days.

The problem is, Iraq shouldn't have been touched in the first place....

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
U.S. forces aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

We are already scheduled out to 2009.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Do you even know why America was in Vietnam? No really, do you?

new topics

top topics

join