It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Sen. Frist had Conflict of Interest on Healthcare Votes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Between 1998 and 2002, Senator Frist earned $265,495 from a Tennessee blind trust, Bowling Avenue Partners, that was not subject to Senate ethics rules. The trust was made up primarily of nonpublic Hospital Corporation of America stock administered by Sen. Frist's brother Thomas Frist, who also happened to be a top corporate officer at HCA. Sen Frist's sale of HCA stock this past summer is under federal investigation.

www.miami.com
AP: Frist accumulated stock outside trusts

LARRY MARGASAK and JONATHAN M. KATZ

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Outside the blind trusts he created to avoid a conflict of interest, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist earned tens of thousands of dollars from stock in a family-founded hospital chain largely controlled by his brother, documents show.

The Tennessee Republican, whose sale this summer of HCA Inc. stock is under federal investigation, has long maintained he could own HCA shares and still vote on health care legislation without a conflict because he had placed the stock in blind trusts approved by the Senate.

However, ethics experts say a partnership arrangement shown in documents obtained by The Associated Press raises serious doubts about whether the senator truly avoided a conflict.

Kathleen Clark, a government ethics expert at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, said she doesn't believe the Senate trusts or the Tennessee trust insulated Frist from a conflict because the senator or his brother were advised of transactions and could influence decisions.

"What I find most appalling is the Senate calls it a qualified blind trust when it's not blind," Clark said. "Since the Senate says it's OK, the Senate has made it a political question. It's up to the voter. But there's no doubt it's a conflict of interest."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's not a conflict of interest because the Senate says it isn't. The Emperor isn't naked, his clothes are just invisible. You have to admire that devil-may-care style.

[edit on 12-10-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I have to say I saw the subpoena or some type of legal action coming when I saw this story. Like in the Cunningham and DeLay cases, it just seems way too obvious that legal action is pending.

Someone noticed that the Emperor is naked, and they are refusing to remain silent.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well what do you expect when big interest are in the government and not longer lobbying from outside.

Occurs is conflict of interest dirty and simple.

With his background as a heart surgeon as well as his position as majority leader, Frist has been at the forefront of legislation that would affect the hospital chain. Among the issues: a Medicare prescription drug benefit and limits on medical malpractice lawsuits.

Frist kept HCA stock in Bowling Avenue Partners and the Tennessee blind trust -- but outside the Senate-approved trusts -- between 1998 and 2002.

Any more prove of how much conflict of interest Frist have? the above quote can not be more clear.

VIVA la corporacion.

Now he has been indicted for it, but how about Cheney and his conflict of interest with Haliburton?

I will like to see him indicted too.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Frist has yet to be indicted like Delay has, but perhaps you can see that coming for Frist, once his personal records are received and reviewed and he has a chance to answer for what's in them.

top topics

join