It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Biometrics still out of reach for U.S. ATMs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Biometrics are "The new way to get cash, from your fingerprint". As people walk up to an ATM and press their thumbs on the screen out pops the money. Out spits the cash, and into the customers pocket and off they go. The technology that we are developing is growing more and more complex every day. With the ATM machines ability to have this type of technology, ID fraud will be more than likely impossible. This will make the world of money a safer and securer place.

www.cnn.com
Scanning fingerprints or irises to verify an ATM customer's identity has yet to penetrate the U.S. banking market because of concerns about expense and privacy. Customers must be convinced that the technologies provide more benefit than the card-and-PIN system, which works well, said John Hall, spokesman for the American Bankers Association. The cards also serve functions beyond the ATMs, as debit cards and as advertising for the banks.

Ricardo Prieto, who was vice president for system operations at BanCafe when the system was installed, said that at first ATMs failed to recognize fingerprints on the well-worn hands of some elderly customers and laborers such as construction workers. "Biometrics is certainly the most secure form of authentication," said Avivah Litan, an analyst with Gartner Inc., a Stamford, Connecticut-based technology analysis firm. "It's the hardest to imitate and duplicate."

Linda Campbell, 49, of Springfield, Ohio, said she probably would use a fingerprint ATM as long as she was sure that no one else could obtain her print. But Connie Steele doesn't believe the technology would add that much more security to the card-and-PIN system. "If I'm a thief and I've got the card, I still don't have your PIN number, so how could they use it?" said Steele, 57, of West Milton, Ohio. Supporters of the technologies are confident that bank customers eventually will accept the new ATMs. "The real holy grail in biometrics," said Jim Block, Diebold's director of global advanced technology, "is let's get rid of the PIN so no one has anything to steal anymore."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My opinions are as follows:

I agree that the fingerprinting idea would be great as one person has their own individual fingerprint. This would bring ID theft down alot but would also increase the new ways to figure how how to "steal" someones fingerprint. It would be like one of the crime scene type things where someone would be able to put a powder on the fingerprint and replicate it. People would definantly find a way around this system. I would still stick with the old card and pin thing. Instead of a fingerprinting type of ID. If they are able to make a way to "clean" the fingerprinting board, and have users supply a pin, it would be foolproof.

[edit on 10/11/0505 by brodband]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Finger printing: Not just for criminals anymore.
I'm sure someone can spin this into a NWO subject.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I think that would cause a lot of people to be missing fingers/thumbs...very stupid idea.

Thank you,
Starr

new topics

join