It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Paul Cameron, The Man Who Loves to Hate Gay People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
If you've ever found yourself on the wrong end of debate supporting the latest superfluous legislation from Republicans to define marriage, require state approval for fertility treatments or outlaw consensual sex acts between adults, chances are you relied in part on the queer ideas of this man.

Meet Paul Cameron, the straightest man in America.

Denial aint just a river in Egypt, mkay?

Paul Drummund Cameron (all honorariums revoked) founded The Family Research Institute in 1982, with a clearly defined mission.

Our Mission
The Family Research Institute was founded in 1982 with one overriding mission: to generate empirical research on issues that threaten the traditional family, particularly homosexuality, AIDS, sexual social policy, and drug abuse. FRI believes that published scientific material has a profound impact, both in the United States and around the world.

In short, to make stuff up and provide it to America's leading hate groups with the same "family" fetish as his own like The Family Research Council, Focus on the Family and The Christian Coalition.

But the real beauty of Cameron's "research" is Christianity is no longer required to pass moral judgement on minorities since his authoritative theories have found such welcome among the anti-expert experts like conspiracy theorist and moustache buddy Joseph Farah, who happens to run the largest outlet of conservative "news" on the Internet, World Net Daily.

For such a straight slant, that's a lot of gay stuff. I wonder if Matt Drudge has ever run into these guys in a moderate bar.

But what moustache buddies do on their own time is none of my business. Or theirs. And that's the point. Although, the stuff they try to pass off to the public as research? Well, that's another thing.

Though Cammy (may I call you Cammy?) describes himself as a "Researcher/Clinician" similar to the way I describe myself as a "Bootyologist/Field Expert," the fact is he's just a guy on the Internet, just like me (well, not quite).

The difference is, no matter how much his frankly laughable causal work is discredited by experts, judges and civilized society alike...

On December 2, 1983, the American Psychological Association sent Paul Cameron a letter informing him that he had been dropped from membership. Early in 1984, all members of the American Psychological Association received official written notice that "Paul Cameron (Nebraska) was dropped from membership for a violation of the Preamble to the Ethical Principles of Psychologists" by the APA Board of Directors.5 Cameron has posted an elaborate argument about his expulsion from APA on his website, claiming that he resigned from APA before he was dropped from membership. Like most organizations, however, APA does not allow a member to resign when they are being investigated. And even if Cameron's claims were accepted as true, it would be remarkable that the largest professional organization of psychologists in the United States (and other professional associations, as noted below) went to such lengths to disassociate itself from one individual.

At its membership meeting on October 19, 1984, the Nebraska Psychological Association adopted a resolution stating that it "formally disassociates itself from the representations and interpretations of scientific literature offered by Dr. Paul Cameron in his writings and public statements on sexuality."6

In 1985, the American Sociological Association (ASA) adopted a resolution which asserted that "Dr. Paul Cameron has consistently misinterpreted and misrepresented sociological research on sexuality, homosexuality, and lesbianism" and noted that "Dr. Paul Cameron has repeatedly campaigned for the abrogation of the civil rights of lesbians and gay men, substantiating his call on the basis of his distorted interpretation of this research."7 The resolution formally charged an ASA committee with the task of "critically evaluating and publicly responding to the work of Dr. Paul Cameron."
At its August, 1986 meeting, the ASA officially accepted the committee's report and passed the following resolution:

The American Sociological Association officially and publicly states that Paul Cameron is not a sociologist, and condemns his consistent misrepresentation of sociological research. Information on this action and a copy of the report by the Committee on the Status of Homosexuals in Sociology, "The Paul Cameron Case," is to be published in Footnotes, and be sent to the officers of all regional and state sociological associations and to the Canadian Sociological Association with a request that they alert their members to Cameron's frequent lecture and media appearances."8

Cameron's credibility was also questioned outside of academia. In his written opinion in Baker v. Wade (1985), Judge Buchmeyer of the U.S. District Court of Dallas referred to "Cameron's sworn statement that 'homosexuals abuse children at a proportionately greater incident than do heterosexuals,'" and concluded that "Dr. Paul Cameron...has himself made misrepresentations to this Court" and that "There has been no fraud or misrepresentations except by Dr. Cameron" (p.536).9

...He persists as the wellhead of "expertise" alllllllllll over the Internet constantly cited to validate those heebie jeebies homophobics get over people they don't know doing things they can only imagine (all too well) shortly before another legislative binge strikes their misinformed authoritarian fancies.

Of course, it could be (as many including Cameron claim) just a giant conspiracy by everyone on the planet that knows what they're talking about to discredit the last straight man in America.

But I doubt it.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's this mans opinions or may I say "Research" bases for some of these ridiculous legislations that are popping out in some states? when it comes to gay and lesbian rights?

So anybody with a "Self proclaim expertise" that fit in some Republican conservative and homophobic agenda is good enough to be considered for legislation.

I realy love the fundamentalist agenda.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
...and the list grows...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So anybody with a "Self proclaim expertise" that fit in some Republican conservative and homophobic agenda is good enough to be considered for legislation.

I realy love the fundamentalist agenda.

Well, no. Not just anybody. This is part of the slowly orchestrated movement on the right from "the good old days" (to which many now wish to return) where Jesse Helms could just stand on the Senate floor and filibuster AIDS research by reading from the Bible while Americans died. Many in the streets since Reagan closed much of the nation's health services and mental institutions on a whim to buy $800 toilet seats. But people actually watch C-SPAN now and the press tells on Presidents. They can't do that anymore.

So now the anti-experts have manufactured their own anti-expert experts to fit in with Frank Luntz "compassionate conservatism" newspeak in order to make the war on things like homosexuality (as well as you and me) more palatable for the greater glory of an unrelated wedge to screw straight Americans too. For example, just like raping our natural resources and polluting the air we breathe is now called "Clear Skies," institutionalizing bigotry is now called "family initiatives" or "defense of marriage" or you know "for the children."
And that's just to give the easliy duped an option to feel good about their pre-existing homophobia in order to press the real agenda which is to convince them that anyone that doesn't want to drill in ANWAR must be a ----sucker.

And the "expert(s)" are all behind it! Really, it's just the pervasive presence of single mindedness that's so funny. The collective hive mind of that one self replicating conservative "blogger" being fed memos (and probably much more) under the table from Scottie "Sweet Meat" McClellan that is indeed an 'army of one' but at the end of the day given all the trackbacks and pushers freeping the most radical fringes of society into "mainstream" discourse, one would conclude surely this many people can't be this dumb.

Well they aren't. That many people I mean.

The seedy underbelly of the social conservative "movement" is one of the most well documented overt conspiracies of just a few men since Paul Weyrich's brainstorm to invent the "moral majority" on behalf of Big Business. Pastors were trained to do this to people, first by Weyrich, then Falwell, now any number of purely partsian Political Lobbying organizations having nothing to do with religion. This is no natural phenomenon or "backlash" as they've been brainwashed over time to describe it either.
It's a Nixon/Moonie conspiracy and the fact it's imploding testifies to it's unnatural and wholly unsatisfying nature.

I'm angry and enfranchised dambit!

Yes, you are and you never looked more ridiculous.

Take another GOOD look at the brains behind the war on civil liberties as pertains to homosexuality "Christians."

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oh, my oh my, that picture looks like the actor from the Adams family

Well you have to remember that the last time they had a shot at power was under Reagan but the public was not very impressed with the pats and fat-wells back then.

So now they are financially secure and have more so call "experts" in their ranks graduated from . . . how you know? their own Christian universities.

And to think that we have another 3 years of them.

top topics

join