It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil of Oregano...get some

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It has been shown effective in vivo as an antibiotic in some animal studies. I post an example below. Vancomycin is known as the antibiotic of last resort, and also has potentially dangerous side effects. A combination of oil of oregano and monolaurin (also natural -- usually derived from coconut), actually worked better than vancomycin with monolaurin for treating severe staph infection.

Toxicol Mech Methods. 2005;15(4):279-85
Effects of Essential Oils and Monolaurin on Staphylococcus aureus: In Vitro and In Vivo Studies.
Preuss HG, Echard B, Dadgar A, Talpur N, Manohar V, Enig M, Bagchi D, Ingram C.

Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 20057.
Abstract

The antimicrobial properties of volatile aromatic oils and medium-chain fatty acids derived from edible plants have been recognized since antiquity. To give examples, Origanum oil, used as a food-flavoring agent, possesses a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity due, at least in part, to its high content of phenolic derivatives such as carvacrol and thymol. Similarly, lauric acid, present in heavy concentrations in coconuts, forms monolaurin in the body that can inhibit the growth of pathogenic microbes. Using Staphylococcus aureus in broth cultures and a microdilution method, comparative efficacy of Origanum oil, and a constituent carvacrol, other essential oils and monolaurin were examined. Origanum oil was the most potent of the essential oils tested and proved bactericidal in culture to two strains of Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC #14154 and #14775) at 0.25 mg/mL. In vitro, monolaurin's effects mirrored Origanum oil. The combination of both was bactericidal at the 0.125 mg/mL concentration of each. In two separate In vivo experiments, injected Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC #14775) killed all 14 untreated mice within a 1-week period. In treated mice, over one third survived for 30 days when given oral Origanum oil daily for 30 days (6/14). Fifty percent of the mice survived for 30 days when receiving daily vancomycin (7/14) and monolaurin (4/8). Over 60% of mice survived when receiving a daily combination of Origanum oil and monolaurin (5/8). Origanum oil and/or monolaurin may prove to be useful antimicrobial agents for prevention and therapy of Staphylococcus aureus infections.

PMID: 20021093 [PubMed - in process]

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have a few bottles. Every time I've had any hint of coming down with something I've taken it and it's done wonders.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yes, that's right!

Coconut oil is quite beneficial, too. In animals and humans.
www.organicfacts.net...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yes, that's right!

Coconut oil is quite beneficial, too. In animals and humans.
www.organicfacts.net...

With regard to the antibiotic effects, it's probably better to buy monolaurin itself. But there have been studies coming out suggesting health benefits from coconut fat/oil, a special type of saturated fat (medium-chain fatty acids). In response to this, there is now low-fat, drinkable coconut milk on the shelves within the last few years, next to the soy and almond milk. When buying coconut 'oil', be sure it's non-hydrogenated, because it becomes unhealthy if it's hydrogenated.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamCorrect
It has been shown effective in vivo as an antibiotic in some animal studies. I post an example below. Vancomycin is known as the antibiotic of last resort, and also has potentially dangerous side effects. A combination of oil of oregano and monolaurin (also natural -- usually derived from coconut), actually worked better than vancomycin with monolaurin for treating severe staph infection.

amazing!

whats the diff bw lauricidin & monolaurin??

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

whats the diff bw lauricidin & monolaurin??

Lauricidin is a brand name for monolaurin.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Can this be used as an acne treatment?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

Maybe... However I suspect it might be way too harsh for facial skin, especially if the acne is
genetic or constant. That stuff could clean out a sword wound IMO...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

I wouldn't apply it topically, but I'd certainly take the geltabs to see if it takes care of the acne.

Check out the links I put in my first posting on the first page, there's information on there about treating acne as well as in the testimonials I linked to.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

Perhaps orally, but not topically. It's too irritating to the skin.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i take that, garlic, and fish oil... for about an hour afterwards i keep burping up what tastes like a very strange omelet.

it was even worse when i was taking the seaweed too.

edit on 15-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
my brother had a really bad case of strep and a woman friend of his girl friends gave him some oregano oil to apply to his throat and he told me that it literally pushed the strep out of his throat through the other side of his neck, he said it came out of his skin like a black tar and it was amazing, he though at first it was some kind of snake oil trick , but it actually did what the woman said it would, so yes , i would agree that buying some to keep on hand would be a good idea

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
oregano oil has qualities indeed

but it also interferes with iron absortion by the body

moderation is key, there are no miraculous medicinal ingredients

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1   >>

join