It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss Nuclear weapon program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Everyone favorite neutral country Switzerland it seems had its own secret nuclear program. Others might know of this but its new to me I came across this while looking into global nuclear arsenals.

Switzerland – Between 1946 and 1969 Switzerland had a secret nuclear program that came into light in 1995. By 1963 theoretical basics with detailed technical proposals, specific arsenals, and cost estimates for Swiss nuclear armaments were made. This program was, however, abandoned partly because of financial costs and by signing the NPT on November 27, 1969.

link

What was a neutral country that officially stayed out of two World Wars doing developing nuclear weapons? I found it interesting just thought I would share.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hey! We Irish were neutral. We might have a secret program. WAIT! Im not supposed to say that...its classified information! We also have a:

StarGate
Inter-stelllar ships
Time machines
Holographic televisions
Apple Pie
The Corrs

I mean the list of our secret projects must go on and on! Now bow before the nation that will eventually dominate the planet! See our spire:

Its really a giant telenetic mind control device. That, when switched on can beam to the whole planet. It also doubles as a missile silo!!!

Be afraid! Be slightly afraid!

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

What was a neutral country that officially stayed out of two World Wars doing developing nuclear weapons?

If you look at the dates when they were considering developing nuclear weapons (1946-1969), I think you will find at least a partial answer. The Cold War had just begun in 1946 and tensions between the Warsaw Pact and the NATO Alliance were perpetually tense throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

Map of Warsaw countries

Map of NATO countries

You can see from these maps that Switzerland, though neutral, is wedged in between several prominent NATO members, including Italy, France and the then West Germany. Throughout the Cold War, NATO was constantly worried about the possibility of a Warsaw invasion of Western Europe. Were this to occur, it is likely that Switzerland would find itself caught in a maelstrom of war, possibly even nuclear war. Given this, I do not find it surprising that the Swiss government at the time chose to investigate the manufacture of nuclear weapons. I am certain that they viewed a potential conflict between Warsaw and NATO as a massive threat to the security of Switzerland and probably wished to employ nuclear weapons as a deterrent against both sides.

I hope this helps address your question.

Edit

Now bow before the nation that will eventually dominate the planet!

When I read this, I was reminded of that saying that God invented alcohol so that the Irish wouldn't conquer the world.

[edit on 11/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Of course he did but we're starting to become immune to it. Now have a Guiness won't you?

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Interesting so you think the threat of the ColdWar was enough for to make Switzerland look into a weapon with massive offensive potential like a atomic bomb. With the size of the US and Russian nuclear arsenals I cant see the Swiss having the power to deter either side let alone both sides.

Im just having a problem seeing that since they were pretty much smack dab in the middle of the most massive war in human history and stayed neutral. But incase of a WW3 they wanted to be able to lob some nukes around?

[edit on 11-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Im just having a problem seeing that since they were pretty much smack dab in the middle of the most massive war in human history and stayed neutral. But incase of a WW3 they wanted to be able to lob some nukes around?

Perhaps their experience with World War 2 played a factor in their considerations into developing nuclear weapons. They had seen how other countries which had declared their neutrality to Hitler, such as Norway, The Netherlands and Belgium, had been attacked by the Nazi forces. Given this, they may have suspected that their neutrality would not defend them adequately in any future conflict between two dominant superpowers. Remember that even though we know that the Cold War never became a "hot" war, they had no way of knowing this at the time.

Furthermore, they had seen the USSR lose 20 million of its own people in their struggle to defeat Germany. They may have considered the Soviets to be a greater threat to Switzerland than the Nazis were, given that they were willing to risk so much to ensure their victory.

In my opinion, this is a possible reason for the Swiss to consider developing nuclear weapons. Perhaps they believed that their neutrality would probably keep them safe, but that neutrality combined with a nuclear deterrant would offer even greater protection. As you said, with all the nukes that would probably have been detonated in a major conflict between NATO and Warsaw, a small Swiss arsenal would probably prove to be a mild deterrant at best. But I suppose, from their perspective, they have to do something.

[edit on 11/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Good points
I doubt any plans Warsaw had of invading western Europe had them caring much about Switzerland's neutrality. In a WW3 event between NATO and Warsaw I dont think anybody in that area would have the luxury of being neutral

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
They're neutral now right? That's all you have to know to feel safe with the Swiss dudes.

My opinion on the Swiss' very very old nuke program is that they probably wanted to build one so that they defend themselves and Germany being one of their closest neighbour would further give them a reason to do so during that time.

Hell, if an armed madman is living next door to me, I'd buy me one of those p90s and hold it close to me everytime I go to bed.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hahahaha, Swiss nuclear program. If they had one they would already have sold it to Israel or something. Its all they do with their supremly well equiped army.
Lived there for a couple of years, and belive me there is no reason to worry about the swiss. Hahah, the only thing they would probably use nukes for is to get rid of the european union and their own liberal/left politicians.
Have a nice day

[edit on 12-10-2005 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Cold War Logic: The reasoning back then was self defense, spurred on by fears that the communists might invade like they did in the Soviet invasion of Hungary.

Nowadays: Switzerland has the best civil defense system in the world, one that can protect 95% of it's citizens in 270,000 anti-nuclear blast shelters. See more here: swisspolitics.org

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Couple that together with the fact that Switzerland is virtually one giant, mountainous fortress (which has always played a part in them remaining neutral), you can see how invading them is not a tasty idea. Throw in a few nukes and even the Soviets would think twice about it!

Lets see:

3 million + trained men under arms....

Lots of mountains/shelters to survive any nuclear attack and too really hinder those pesky Soviet Armoured columns (which never do very well in mountainous terrain)...

Throw in a few nukes....

I wouldn't want to mess with them!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

ShadowXIX
Everyone favorite neutral country Switzerland it seems had its own secret nuclear program. Others might know of this but its new to me I came across this while looking into global nuclear arsenals.

Switzerland – Between 1946 and 1969 Switzerland had a secret nuclear program that came into light in 1995. By 1963 theoretical basics with detailed technical proposals, specific arsenals, and cost estimates for Swiss nuclear armaments were made. This program was, however, abandoned partly because of financial costs and by signing the NPT on November 27, 1969.

link

What was a neutral country that officially stayed out of two World Wars doing developing nuclear weapons? I found it interesting just thought I would share.

I'd have thought it was obvious that deterrence would be the reason for them looking into building them. Switzerland has always followed a policy of armed neutrality, meaning that they want to make it as difficult as possible for any side considering invading. Not like other nuclear countries which neutrality just involves not taking sides, but having no means of defending themselves if either side didn't respect their neutrality.

new topics

top topics

join