It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: American Consultant Tells Australia - Support The War For More Income And Contracts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Robert Van Gordon, vice president of the Washington Management Group has told Australian business people that to support the war in Iraq would greatly help companies. Under the New Free Trade Agreement with the US, Australia can for the first time tender directly for US government contracts. Mr Gordon explained how helpful it would be to Australia to support the war effort and cited the fact that French companies, which opposed the Iraq war are having trouble securing contracts. He further stated "So in this case, if you're supportive they will support you, they will make sure they help you along."

finance.news.com.au
AUSTRALIA'S support of the US in Iraq could help local companies crack the huge US government contract market, a visiting American consultant says.
Mr Van Gorder said the market was highly competitive but Australia's support for the US in the war in Iraq would help firms.

Before the introduction of the FTA, which came into operation this year, just 32 Australian firms had US government contracts worth a combined $US14 million ($18 million).

But Mr Van Gorder said interest would grow now that the FTA was in place, and Australian firms started to get an idea of the opportunities in the US.

Some of the key contract areas include the services sector, IT, research and development and management support. Other areas where major contracts are available include military components.

Mr Van Gorder said Australian firms should consider tendering for contracts that may not grab the direct attention of competitors, such as military base maintenance and service provision in South-East Asia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is terrible. Buying support for a war, we line your pocket, you line ours. It is such a blatant move by this person to drum up support for a war that most Australians do not want. Once again money talks though and here it can be bought.

It is also a bad sign for American companies currently holding those contracts. Hollywood was one such entity that found Australia was a cheaper alternative for production costs and started making and producing films in Australia at a largly increased rate. This in turn caused strikes by many American firms who were virtually put out of business by the Australians coming on the scene.

It is probable the same case will be found here and Australia may turn out to win many contracts on lowered production and labour costs.

I see more problems than gains by the Free Trade Agreement and although John Howard may brag and say how much he has increased Australians standards of living and increased Australia's rating in the world market....At what cost?

[edit on 11-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Ah, yes...Free Trade Agreements and America.

Just jump in the pool, kids...it's all uphill from here.
Or is it? ($5 billion owed Canada; softwood lumber dispute, and they're not paying)

Sure, there's benefits to the FTA...no doubt, but, the majority of the benefits will be to whom?

I like your slant on this, Mayet, and as a Canadian, I wholeheartedly agree with the 'tongue in cheek' conspirational approach of the issue as a whole...'buying' support for a war (whether that war is justified or not, that's lots of other threads).

Beware that 'pig in a poke'.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I would be careful not to take what Washington Management Group's VP says as some sort of explicit Government policy.

WMG is not the Government. They don't work for the Government. They are a private consulting firm. They work with firms who are trying to get business through the various GSA Schedules. The GSA Schedules are contract vehicles that allow companies to list their rates for various services.

Essentially, when the Government (let's say, the National Institutes of Health for this example) wants to buy some marketing services to advertise some new program, they can look at the GSA Schedule and compare the prices and customer ratings of several companies at once, without having to ask the companies to write a specific proposal. They can just say, "Company A has the lowest price for brochures and the highest rating. Let's call them and get them to do this work."

WMG just helps companies get on that schedule and helps them in their strategies for responding to open calls for proposals. The VP, while certainly powerful at WMG, likely has no pull in Washington whatsoever. Instead, he sounds like a blowhard trying to show that there are many reasons why a company could use WMG's services. It sounds like a sales pitch gone awry to me.

It was also very irresponsible, but since he doesn't speak for the U.S. Government any more than you Canadians do, I'm not terribly concerned with his claim.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Very good work Mayet. Thank you.

...Those pesky "Free Trade Agreements" are really quite interesting. What they do is put corporations on par with nations in terms of international negotiations. So what this guy is saying is true - Australian firms now can bypass the Australian government, and negotiate directly with the US government.

Soon, it will be possible to bypass nation states completely, and we will live in the age of corporate states.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thats a good post mayet.
Its common knowledge that all participants (apart from Britian) in Iraq were bribed or coerced into joining. "The coalition of the willing" was more the "Bribing of the reluctant."

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Ah yes, I see my countrymen are still living by the "Golden Rule," namely, he who has the gold rules.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have to agree this could be a very good thing for Australian gov. it would bring them in more money. but i am American bush has sent 1000's of jobs over sea's already. and as a American im feeling the pain of it. our American hitler (pres. bush) has did nothing but drive this country into the ground. his cure for the 9/11 attack was for everybody to spend money to get money rolling around again. then he starts setting up jobs for everybody BUT for the American people unless your his friend. it don't take much intelligence to think. we spend money but we no longer make money. do you think we will go broke? drrr.

new topics

top topics

join