It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to deal with contaminated food and water?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Each and every day, this avian bird flu thing is looking worse and worse. Whether or not you believe in a pandemic, it wouldn't hurt to know what to do, just incase.

Now heres my question. I recently read that if you boil water for ten minutes, it is safe to drink (after it cools down of course). I was wondering if that would work on the avian bird flu. And also, what about food? Could anybody tell me if theres any ways to treat contaminated food and water?

xu

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I posted some info on the other thread, let me quote it;

H5N1 virus lasts

3 hours @ 56° C and
30 minutes @ 60° C

the meat of the infected polutry could be eaten after cooking, however you should know that the virus is stored in the animals guts. and to get infected from poultry meat, from what I read you have to first dry the meat and sniff it, even then it is a very small possibility(they say). However Im not planning to consume chicken breasts for some time.

possibly as you said, the virus shouldnt survive after about 5-10 minutes in 100° C. boiling water

xu

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
also something you should know which is not totally related, that if you or anyone catches this flu and fever you should not try to lower the body temp, because the high tempereature helps to fight the virus and weakens the virus, except if you are pregnant or have some medical condition. this is a misconception about fever, lots of people think it must be avoided and it is all dangerous which is wrong. (very high fever will kill you, but somewhere inbetween for a duration will kill the virus and save you) this applies to all kind of flues not just H5N1.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
xu, you provide some intersting information.
But, just for the record, could you tell us how you came about your information?
Self-taught, commone sense stuff, or some expert info?

I totally agree people want to get rid of theirs symptoms ASAP, before giving their bodies a chance to heal on its own.

xu

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
thanks. sniffing the dried chicken meat part came from BBC news website, which I would have to search again but its somewhere there.

the rest is from experts interviewed on TV, doctors and microbiologists etc. plus verified from experience. in the past if I had a flu which got intense, I would get under like 10 blankets and heat the body as much as I can (even if I had a mild fever) the heat becomes unbearable but if you can stand it for about 30 minutes and after taking a shower you are as good as new.

top topics

join