It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dead Birds Tested For Bird Flu In Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Authorities in Bulgaria have announced that they are currently testing three dead birds for avian flu after the birds were discovered in different areas of the country's Plevon region. The area is just 100 kilometres from the Danube River border with the country of Romania, who announced their first Bird Flu cases earlier this week. The birds have been sent to Sofia for testing but at this stage no Bird Flu has been found and tests results will not be available for at least a week.

www.news.com.au
BULGARIAN authorities have been testing three birds found dead in the northern part of the country for avian flu but that so far there were no indications the deadly virus had reached the country.

The Balkan state of eight million people has heightened safety controls after its neighbours Turkey and Romania reported suspected cases of bird flu.

"We sent the bodies of the birds to be examined. Results are expected no sooner than a week from now."

Bulgarian authorities said their tests were simply a result of stricter controls and that the birds could have died from a variety of causes.

Romania and Turkey reported new cases of the virus on Saturday and began culling thousands of birds to prevent the globally feared disease from spreading.

Experts there are yet to discover whether the cases are from the highly pathogenic H5N1 virus, which has killed millions of birds and 65 people in Asia since 2003. Officials have played down the likelihood.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet another country with possible cases. That is now three European countries in the same region with suspect and in two cases confirmed instances of Bird Flu. This is the season that Birds are migrating to warmer climates so it appears the disease is now spreading rapidly and totally out of control.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Notice, though, that they do not know what type of avian flu it is. They don't know if it is H5N1, and realistically, any other avian flu could kill three birds. Depending on the size of the flock, three birds does not constitute a very high morbidity. And, since we know that high morbidity is the hallmark of H5N1, we can conclude (for the moment at least) that this is probably some other avian flu.

Interestingly enough, I'm about to quote myself from a post about 10 minutes ago on a similar story...

Originally posted by Hamburglar
There are avian flus going around in bird populations all the time. It's just that few of them have the potential to harm us. And, for that matter, few of them carry the same high morbidity that H5N1 does.

So, this really isn't news at all. This is scaremongering on the part of the reporter. If we reported EVERY case of ANY kind of bird flu, you'd never read about anything else.

As an aside, this is something that is near and dear to my heart. Both my sister and my father are in fields that require that they deal directly with large bird populations on a daily basis. I hope that their frequent exposures to other forms of bird flus will offer some nominal protection against H5N1 if it hits.

new topics

join