It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Bird Flu Strain Found in Colombia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A strain of bird flu was found in a flock of chickens in the South American country of Colombia on Monday. However, officials say that the strain is not the Asian H5N1 virus that poses a threat to humans and is causing fears of a possible pandemic. The chickens have been quarantined to prevent the disease from spreading.

www.canada.com
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) - Colombian authorities said Monday they had detected the first suspected cases of bird flu in this South American country, but insisted the strain was not harmful to humans.

Avian influenza was discovered in chickens at three farms in Tolima state in western Colombia, and the affected flocks were immediately quarantined to prevent the spread of the disease, the Agriculture Ministry said in a statement.

There was no sign, however, of the H5N1 strain of bird flu that experts fear could mutate to become a dangerous human virus, the ministry said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a very interesting development. I think it's strange that all of a sudden a new bird flu would pop up in South America when all this talk is going on about the H5N1 virus. I think there's some more to this story.

[edit on 10/11/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's really not all that strange. There are avian flus going around in bird populations all the time. It's just that few of them have the potential to harm us. And, for that matter, few of them carry the same high morbidity that H5N1 does.

So, this really isn't news at all. This is scaremongering on the part of the reporter. If we reported EVERY case of ANY kind of bird flu, you'd never read about anything else.

As an aside, this is something that is near and dear to my heart. Both my sister and my father are in fields that require that they deal directly with large bird populations on a daily basis. I hope that their frequent exposures to other forms of bird flus will offer some nominal protection against H5N1 if it hits.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The article does say this was the first time the virus was ever detected in Colombia, so I don't think this is an everyday occurance, at least for that part of the world.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The article does say this was the first time the virus was ever detected in Colombia, so I don't think this is an everyday occurance, at least for that part of the world.

I think we will find this is going to be a first world wide before this is all over.

I even saw a funny add and wish I could remember which network, but reportedly they did in Big Bird from sesame street to stop the spread of the disease.

[edit on 10/11/2005 by shots]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The article does say this was the first time the virus was ever detected in Colombia, so I don't think this is an everyday occurrence, at least for that part of the world.

Which is complete rubbish. It's like this, friend, every time you get the flu, does the local news come to your house and report on it? If so, you live in a VERY small town. The answer, of course, is no.

It's the same here. Poultry flocks are HIGHLY susceptible to avian flu. It's not really news when some chickens in a farm get a runny beak and watery eyes. The problem is, H5N1 is HIGHLY pathogenic, and has and EXTREMELY high morbidity. That means it spreads faster and KILLS many birds.

So, naturally people notice. Couple that with the pandemic scare we are all under, and any case of normal bird flu will be sure to trigger this kind of media attention, even though it is unwarranted.

As a final thought on why it is highly unlikely that this is Colombia's first avian flu, it was recently discovered that the pandemic of 1918 was caused by a bird flu. Did Colombia get missed by it entirely? No chance. This is sloppy reporting by an AP correspondent that doesn't know the first thing about avian flus and how common they are in the poultry industry. Also, it is clear that nobody else at AP has a clue either, so news agencies around the world keep running with these pseudo-facts.

It happens, and it's not really worth a major argument. I just wanted to educate a few folks here. Hope I helped.

new topics

top topics

join