It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: The Tiny Tropical Frog That Could Rid the World of AIDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Scientists have found that the Australian red-eyed tree frog could be the key to preventing infection from HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. A chemical in the skin of the frog has been found to destroy viral particles. Scientists warn that the destruction of rain-forests in Australia is impacting tree frog populations and that amphibians are declining in population around the world.

www.rednova.com
LITTLE red-eyed frog could hold the key to ending the scourge of AIDS.

Scientists have found that a chemical in the skin of the Australian red-eyed tree frog can block infection by HIV the virus that causes AIDS by destroying the viral particles.

They hope further research could lead to an 'after-exposure' lotion to protect against HIV and AIDS.

The chemical is part of the 21/ 2in-long frog's defences.

Special glands on their skin produce and store packets of the compound, which is released when they are injured or alarmed and acts to protect them from infection by killing fungi, bacteria and viruses.

The ability to target HIV was discovered when researchers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, decided to investigate whether the chemical was effective against viruses that infect humans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Certainly, this could be good news for the world, if it works out to be true. The impact on these species from diminished habitat will surely be a rallying cause for environmentalists. If the chemicals in the tree frog's skin actually do prevent HIV infection, it would be appropriate to try to synthesize the chemicals or find ways to farm the frogs.

[edit on 2005/10/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Certainly, this could be good news for the world, if it works out to be true. The impact on these species from diminished habitat will surely be a rallying cause for environmentalists. If the chemicals in the tree frog's skin actually do prevent HIV infection, it would be appropriate to try and synthesize the chemicals or find ways to farm the frogs.

I agree, but unfortunately the article did have a lot of ifs in it which makes me skeptical. Even if proven to work as they think it will, we are still 15 years away from a working vacine as I read it.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

The scientists have now won a grant from the American Foundation for AIDS Research to continue the work. Its director of research, Dr Rowena Johnston, said no creams exist which could be applied to the body after exposure to HIV.

But she added: 'The first generation of these products is now not far from being developed. They could be applied prior to sex or perhaps taken in the same way as the contraceptive pill.

'Alternatively, if the woman is HIV positive, she could protect her partner from infection. It would be a fantastic tool for HIV prevention.

We are so far from having an AIDS vaccine, we are not going to wait around for 15 years and do nothing in the meantime.' [emphasis mine]

Based on this quote, I believe that these findings will not yield a vaccine but will offer products to provide protection against HIV infection in lieu of a vaccine. Of course, just like condoms, people will have to exercise judgement in the use of prophylactic products, which is always the rub. In the long haul it is more likely that products such as those proposed will only protect those who are wise enough to use them.

[edit on 2005/10/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
HIV does NOT cause AIDS! you *Great Guy*!

Read the book "What if everything you knew about AIDS is wrong" to find out.

Mod Edit: Please refrain from personal attacks

[edit on 10/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
As with everything, you have to start somewhere and this is as promising as anything else. Our ability to cobat viruses is not great and this may be a new direction that bears some fruit.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solidus Snake
HIV does NOT cause AIDS! you fool!

I'm presuming you're using that term affectionately. I guess all these scientists who think that HIV causes AIDs are just pulling our legs.

I suppose this is your idea of a cure for AIDS.

[edit on 2005/10/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

They could be applied prior to sex or perhaps taken in the same way as the contraceptive pill.

'Alternatively, if the woman is HIV positive, she could protect her partner from infection. It would be a fantastic tool for HIV prevention.

I realize that Grady and had a comment although I thought it would be inappropriate to post my thoughts on the "cream" comments they made.

I do however hope they find ways to get it to work, we sure need a cure for HIV.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by shots]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Great find.

...Good comments on habitat destruction too. What was that line? Oh yeah. "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you got til it's gone."

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a working vaccine in 15 years. lets hope so

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Science also shows that the rainforest causes AIDS. Now it's going to save us? Burn it down faster, before it kills us all.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
does science show us that rain forest caused aids? i thought it appeared in new york and los angelas in the very early 80s. how did the rainforest create aids?

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Some theories posit that HIV mutated from SIV, the simian version of HIV. I don't think there is anything that would indicate that SIV was caused by rain forests.

Google Search

new topics

top topics

join