It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Bands of all Time.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivanglam

Originally posted by Alcor
Though I agree that Beatles, Zeppelin, and Eagles are like top ten of all time, I STILL insist on putting my vote on Queen...

Queen is great I love crazy little thing called love!... But do you think they really were one of the top 5 greatest bands of all time?

Why yes, yes I do... Ha ha ha

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I would be remiss if I didn't claim my current band "Catfish Steven and the Caucasians" comming to a sleazy bar near you. This is not an all ages show; leave the kiddies at home. No firearms please.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This is not an all ages show; No firearms please.

LOL It must be great

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
being an old hippie, it does my heart good to see all the younger members love the vintage groups so much.
i have partied with the eagles, carlos santana and but for frey's ego, they are humble and and fun folks.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
Sorry, I must have missed that.
My son is a sound technician and he claims Pete Townsend alone and Pink Floyd are the best mixes ever??

Yes.. I can see what he might mean about pink floyd - especially if he has ever seen 'the dark side of the rainbow' (which is the album 'dark side of the moon' played in synch with the wizard of oz.). The timing was way too percise to ignore. Alot of thier music was brialliantly written and had an 'orchestrayical' (spelling) touch to them.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

being an old hippie, it does my heart good to see all the younger members love the vintage groups so much.
i have partied with the eagles, carlos santana and but for frey's ego, they are humble and and fun folks.

You partied with the eagled and santana

wow... it really is too bad that modern music isnt like that... like, where the bands actually related to the crowds (withough being depressing - lol)

I do find it funn though, how the message from music evolved into what it is today...

it went from the "yea, somethings wrong, but its gonna be alright" message of the beatles and led zeppelin to the "somethings wrong, and nothings alright" message of the bands who evolved from that like metalica and motorhead...

now the message goes something like this.. "c'mon baby, lemme sex u up jus a lil bit, and maybe i'll love u"...

too bad the mods cant strike those bands down

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yes, I did party with both of them and Ted Nugent too.
I had a commune at this time and Carlos would stay there whenever he was in town.
I had a beautiful Romanian room mate, and Glen Frey came up to us at the concession stand at the gig, and told her she was who he wrote Witchy Woman for..This is how we got the invite.
My son is a fabulous play by ear Gibson player, but he is too shy to be on stage, so he chooses to mix and sometimes stands in with his playing for mixing sessions.
Pink Ployd shall never be match by anyone.Did you see their reunion for the British Katrina concert?I got it on tape..They still got it..
Talking bout todays' music.how about My Baby's Daddy?
I SWEAR all this is true, I have had a STRANGE life..

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
wow sirious that is awesome....

I'm 13 and I LOVE classic rock and some progressive rock but most of all classic! It is jsut so much better than todays crap. It had feelign back then liek a soul now it just has like meaningless ntohingness. I'm learnign how to play the guitar right now I've got a squier strat and I hope to get good enoguh to learn a bunch of the classics.

1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd or Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd or Zeppelin
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Who

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
wow sirious that is awesome....

I'm 13 and I LOVE classic rock and some progressive rock but most of all classic! It is jsut so much better than todays crap. It had feelign back then liek a soul now it just has like meaningless ntohingness. I'm learnign how to play the guitar right now I've got a squier strat and I hope to get good enoguh to learn a bunch of the classics.

1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd or Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd or Zeppelin
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Who

Great for you..please keep up your playing.you are on the right track..
My son says strats are too twangy for him.He plays a Flying V.
Have you played any Gibsons?
PRACTICE is the word.. have you tried a slide yet?
When I think of Zeppelin's song Whan the Levee Breaks, it brings tears to my eyes, thinking of New Orleans..
Glad you chose to respond..best to you.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I pla non tryign a slide when I get a bit better. I just took up playign recently. Well last year I took somethign in school but my teacher wasn't really a guitar player and he didn't teach us anytihng. I've already learned more in 3 classes this year then I did all of last year.

EDIT: when the levee breaks is a great song... I think I heard the drum part was recorded by having the recording equipment upstairs and recordign the drums up a flight of stairs or somethign liek that... interesting...

[edit on 10/13/05 by cpr12r]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
If you want to learn "When the Levee breaks" by Led Zeppelin, u2u me, I have a good quality transcription of it taken from a magazine. Spot on stuff.

Nearly every tab on the internet has it wrong. :shk:

The only difficult part is playing the notes while the slide is still on your finger. A good slide is needed.

If you play with a slide, it should be a breeze. Very simple song to get into the groove.

Edit: A strat is a deadly weapon. I used to think single coils sucked, but now its pretty much all I play ! I love mine. Once you get the tone down, its great. But thats half the fun, the quest for tone.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I pla non tryign a slide when I get a bit better. I just took up playign recently. Well last year I took somethign in school but my teacher wasn't really a guitar player and he didn't teach us anytihng. I've already learned more in 3 classes this year then I did all of last year.

EDIT: when the levee breaks is a great song... I think I heard the drum part was recorded by having the recording equipment upstairs and recordign the drums up a flight of stairs or somethign liek that... interesting...

I will have to get out my vinyl Zep and listen to those drums, I have 3 that are very valuable, Mom's Apple Pie. Skynrd flames album and a beatles white vinyl on the white album.
As far as lessons go, my kid could NOT stand them, so he did not go, saying his teacher was nuts..
you sound like a very bright teen , I am impressed with your soul and your thinking...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
My friend has a copy of the beatles white album in liek perfect condition. He got it for liek 2 bucks laong with like 50 records at goodwill. And it's in like perfect condition! I todl him it woudl probably be worth soem cash.

EDIT: My teacher is kinda nuts.. he liek talks to himself and yells at himself. Not just liek normal talkign to yourself like full converations liek soemtiems even 3 way oens wiht himself.... kidna scary... but he has taugth me a lot so I respect him for that... we call him the guitar nazi at school though can be very strict... but he can be funny liek when he say plays a pink floyd song and dance and sings along.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

My friend has a copy of the beatles white album in liek perfect condition. He got it for liek 2 bucks laong with like 50 records at goodwill. And it's in like perfect condition! I todl him it woudl probably be worth soem cash.

Lol. I have a few zeppelin and rolling stones records..... all my friends laugh ahhaha, but hey, this is the music that still is changing the world, not that pop junk... u know? crap is more than rap.... one letter more to be percise. haahha
(just kidding... there actually are a few good rap songs.)

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Some rap songs are good for that haha funny thing... but not for liek 'real' music.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If you're talking about bands from all time and all genres, I'd say that Duke Ellington and Count Basie had ten times the sheer musicianship as any rock band, although I'm pretty fond of the Beatles, being a freshman in college when they first became big.

And I did play a lot of Top-40 in the seventies, when I did music for a job for three years.

But certainly Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, from 1935 to 1960, had more influence on their particular genre of music than any rock band had on its genre.

And if you're talking about really heavy music, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Fritz Reiner (and Georg Solti), the LA Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta, and, of course, the NY Philharmonic under Mehta and Bernstein.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

EDIT: My teacher is kinda nuts.. he liek talks to himself and yells at himself. Not just liek normal talkign to yourself like full converations liek soemtiems even 3 way oens wiht himself.... kidna scary... but he has taugth me a lot so I respect him for that... we call him the guitar nazi at school though can be very strict... but he can be funny liek when he say plays a pink floyd song and dance and sings along.

The reason I keep all the vinyl is because i am a DYLAN JUNKIE and cannot afford all his work on CDs.
Do you like Bob?
Maybe you should give the teacher a break, he is perhaps stuck in non-rock and roll?
I am stuck in the late 60's and early 70's, so I have no room to talk..LOL
Can you teacher sing ot is he just goofing off?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I liek soem of bob dylan's songs. Some very good ones.

My teacher can't sing good at all it's so funny. I give him a break he's really cool if you get to knwo ihm. Just kidna creepy and a bit insane but who cares bout that anyway?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

My teacher can't sing good at all it's so funny. I give him a break he's really cool if you get to knwo ihm. Just kidna creepy and a bit insane but who cares bout that anyway?

Glad you are open about bob, as most teens cannot bear him.He has a MESSAGE no other has had or ever will have.
Just remember that YOUR goal is to be a good player, and you will succeed.
As far as slides go, back in the 70's-80;s Bufferin came in a glass bottle/BEST slide of all. See if you mom has any old Bufferin bottles or anyone else..:]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Glad you are open about bob, as most teens cannot bear him.He has a MESSAGE no other has had or ever will have.
Just remember that YOUR goal is to be a good player, and you will succeed.
As far as slides go, back in the 70's-80;s Bufferin came in a glass bottle/BEST slide of all. See if you mom has any old Bufferin bottles or anyone else..:]

Funny you mention Dylan's message... I remember watching a DVD with Dylan, and he was laughing at how people were looking through his songs for meanings... He said there really isnt any meaning in them.. they were jsut words thrown together...!

But I know better!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join