It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Bands of all Time.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Simply put, the greatest bands of all time are bands that influenced and will continue to influence bands, while still being liked by some of the mainstream.

Top Five Bands of all Time.

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Fleetwood Mac
Cream/Eric Clapton (He has had suscess with every band he's been with)

and one thats in and out of the list - Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin went on to influence Metal
The Beatles Influenced Pop and changed the face of music forever.
The Rolling stones were 'the child america adopted - but never had'
Fleetwood Mac was the highest selling band of the eighties with thier album - Rumors.
Eric Clapton was simply suscessfull with every band he was in.

Now what am I trying to get at here? Well all of these bands are connected (except for fleetwood mac and the rolling stones)
Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton were both members of the band 'The Yardbirds', but both felt 'held back' while in the band. George Harrison and Eric Clapton often shared riffs, and (lol) Clapton stole George's Wife (as shown in Layla).

What made all of these bands more than one hit wonders though was not thier connection by relation, but thier connection for sharing a love of music.. They would not simply throw 4 chords together to make a song.. They would literally treat the songs as thier children, and nurture them, and welcome them into the world watching them get accepted or picked on by all the songs were shown to. These bands knew how to get the crowds.

What has happened to modern day music? Even the modern day 'rock' bands are either going super heavy or are sticking to the four chord progressions... The originality is gone... and perhaps will be for some time.

And till the day comes with the return of the new beatles or zeppelin, I'll still be listening to the classics. Not because they are old and remind me of something i wasnt there to experience (I'm not that old), but because they show me something that the music on the radio can't.

Freedom.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I totally agree on most of your band choices. I just want to add Queen for the sake of my obsession. Ha ha.

I also agree that the rock bands of today just aren't what they used to be- If you can play three or four chords you can be a big time musician--- And every song sounds the same! I miss how everything you used to hear was good and new and something different.

I think we should just take all their guitars away and listen to old school rock instead.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alcor
I think we should just take all their guitars away and listen to old school rock instead.

I know... Steal thier guitars and
the
fools .. hahahaha...

Its too bad there arent alot of online musicians who like classic rock... Id love to do some online jamming and song creation.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There really aren't. It's sort of depressing actually. I myself am what I call a "moderate" classic rock fan- As in, I love it, but don't listen to enough of it to know all about it.

Online jamming- I like the idea!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Im supprised no one has put thier favorite bands up here! Is my classic rock obsession scaring away the Headbangers and Pop Folk?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There isn't anything wrong with listening to some classic rock. I'm only 21 and I love my classic rock!!! Anything from Zepp to Fleetwood Mac, I will listen.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I give it a go, but i'm sure i'll leave some out.

In no particular order:

-Stevie Ray Vaughn: As a guitar player he's my absolute favorite.

-Lynyrd Skynyrd: If your talking classic rock it don't get any better imo.

-Pearl Jam: I'm still listening to Ten today, one of the best albums ever imo.

-Red Hot Chili Peppers: Great musicians, original style..you can't deny Blood Sugar Sex Magic imo.

I'm a big music fan, i could go on and on. Just wanted to add some bands that you guys hadn't mentioned.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
There isn't anything wrong with listening to some classic rock. I'm only 21 and I love my classic rock!!! Anything from Zepp to Fleetwood Mac, I will listen.

Hahaha I'm younger, and I don't listen to anything BUT classic rock. Nothing satisfies me more than the storytelling of classic rock. From the 'lord of the rings' based stories of Misty Mountian Hop by Led Zeppelin to the mythology of Fleetwood Mac's 'Rhiannon', the storytelling is incredible.. I wish more music could be like this nowadays.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Yeah I'm young as well (16) and I almost refuse to listen to anything new rock wise. It just seems like a load a crap if you ask me really... I like the good stuff, with melodies... Catchy little tunes you can sing along with... But I listen to so much different stuff that it's hard to confine it all to classic rock... Because I'm a big cheesehead and listen to classical and broadway... A lot...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'll put The Eagles up against anybody.

Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Peace

The eagles are great and hold one of the best songs of all time (hotel california), but Id still wager that Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are above them

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Though I agree that Beatles, Zeppelin, and Eagles are like top ten of all time, I STILL insist on putting my vote on Queen...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alcor
Though I agree that Beatles, Zeppelin, and Eagles are like top ten of all time, I STILL insist on putting my vote on Queen...

Queen is great I love crazy little thing called love!... But do you think they really were one of the top 5 greatest bands of all time?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Peace

They were great, but do not party with Glen Frey's ego...

No votes for the great Pink Floyd???

[edit on 12-10-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone

Peace

They were great, but do not party with Glen Frey's ego...

No votes for the great Pink Floyd???

[edit on 12-10-2005 by siriuslyone]

I mentioned pink floyd in the beggining... they're either 5 or 6 in my ranking

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sorry, I must have missed that.
My son is a sound technician and he claims Pete Townsend alone and Pink Floyd are the best mixes ever??

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Leaving it at 5 doesn't cut it. What about Moody Blues and Jimi Hendrix?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Im a total classic rock fan. I also LOVE the blues. Blues artists get no credit yet they were the back bone for rock and roll as we know it !

Zeppelin? Blues!
Beatles? They loved american blues ! (but you dont hear it in the sound)
Clapton? Uhh that is blues !
Stones? Blues !

I play guitar also, but my guitar influences are different.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Id just like to share some "classic rock" tidbits.

I hope everyone finds these interesting. They are just things I am thinking up as I type.

-Aerosmith used sugar packets as maracas on sweet emotion

-John Lennon wrote "I am the Walrus" but used the wrong character in the song. The walrus is actually the bad guy in the writing its based on. The good guy was the carpenter, but what kind of song would that make?

-Angus Young of AC/DC uses no effects when playing guitar. His sound is pure guitar into amp and is actually quite clean contrary to popular belief. A friend of mine met them backstage in winnipeg and said that Angus drank TEA after the show !

-Jimi Hendrix would string his guitar in odd fashions, using a e for a b for example.

On the note of stringing instruments, the beatles were said to have pulled strings out of pianos to use on there own instruments. I dont even think its possible.....

-Many of the famous Queen guitar tones came from a homemade amp made from a scrap circuit found discarded by the bass player (cant remember his name at the moment deacy? )and a small hi-fi speaker and cabinet that ran off of a lantern battery. Brian May also created a small treble booster to get some of his famous tones.

-Johnny Cash (hes rock and roll to me!) became famous for his "man in black" image after he appeared on the grand ole opry with solid black clothes when everyone else was wearing rhinestones.

-Pink Floyd has a cover band endorsed by them. I cant remember the name, the australian pink floyd something... They were found out after the band played for the lead guitarist at his birthday.

-In his quest for loud, Pete Townsend basically invented the "Marshall stack" of amps with help of Jim Marshall. (those are the amps you see with the amp head on top and the speaker cabinets( 4 x 12 inch speakers) underneath. Except his version was a complete box of 8 x 10 I believe. They found them too hard to move around and later "cut" them inhalf inventing the amp stack !

-Edward Van Halen holds many patents on guitar inventions, with his input he helped to create the floyd rose tremolo system, used on thousands of guitars today.

-The Beatles would often talk with the Rolling Stones so that they could release there singles apart so that each one would have some time on the charts. Beatles then Stones, stones than beatles etc.

-Rush plays live with a set of washing machines. And the machines are mic'd !

-The eric clapton song layla is about stealing george harrisons wife.

-Fleetwood Mac would sometimes request that a PIANO would be brought into there hotel room so they could play, even if they had to take a window or two out to lug it in.

-When trying out amps at a shop, the cops had to come because Stevie Ray Vaughn was playing so loud.

-The guitarist from Black Sabbath made his own fingertips to play guitar because he lost part of them in an accident.

-BB King invented guitar vibrato (think of a violin player shaking there hand to sustain the note) to emulate the sound of slide guitar.

I tried to think of one for every band mentioned in the thread.

I know lots of interesting guitar bits and pieces, but I tried to stray away from them. If anyone wants to hear more, say !

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The thing about The Beatles is that it's not really fair to compare any band with them. They changed music forever. To me The Beatles are music and Paul McCartney is probably the most brilliant musician that's ever lived.

So my list would go something like:

The Beatles

1. The Eagles (sure most would not agree, but pound for pound the most talented)
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Pink Floyd
5. Nirvana (where did that come from?!!)

Fleetwood Mac holds a special place with me. I know all their songs by heart.

Peace

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join