It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so closed-minded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
That sounds funny coming from me.

What I'm talking about is just rejecting things out of hand. For example, I believe that the earth is the center of the universe (but it's ROUND, okay?) and that the sun, etc., go around it.

Why do people reject this out of hand and bring it up to "discredit" me when I say something that no one likes to hear? (It's not here on ATS BTW.)

At least look up geocentricity and learn about it before just dismissing it out of hand. We've been conditioned to accept heliocentricity as being "gospel truth."

People just get brainwashed into believing things. Like the pastor of the church I used to go to. You try to tell him the truth about Bush and he says that's just the Liberal Media.

I'm just frustrated. People blindly accept things--they don't ask questions, they don't bother to investigate. You should ALWAYS ask questions. Question everything. Even Paul the apostle approved of questioning--the Bereans always checked his teachings against Scripture and he called them noble because they did so. That pastor I mentioned got a little miffed when I did that and questioned some of the things he was teaching.

That's a reason why I'm not putting my child into public school. He doesn't need to hear candy-coated, altered history brought to you by the Ministry of Truth. He doesn't need to hear the lie that Columbus was some kind of hero.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
At least look up geocentricity and learn about it before just dismissing it out of hand. We've been conditioned to accept heliocentricity as being "gospel truth."

Wow, I can't believe anyone thinks that could possibly be true anymore. :shk:

For the record, the Roman Catholic Church did believe in this for years, but that was more from Greek literature, not from the Bible. I can't think of any passage in the Bible that says that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I know how you feel people think im crazy when i say the world is flat and its carried upon the shoulders of four elephants who in turn are standing on a giant turtle flying through space

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by obiwan15
I know how you feel people think im crazy when i say the world is flat and its carried upon the shoulders of four elephants who in turn are standing on a giant turtle flying through space

*sigh*

I'm serious here.

BTW I don't think the earth is flat at all. There's just no way.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
i know you are being serious and im sorry for taking the mickey out of you its just i visited the site you posted and the notion of a fixed earth and the attempts it makes to discredit science just really annoyed me no offence meant

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
FWIW, this right here makes me stop reading further (from the link above):

It talks about the heavens, the firmament, and tells us that the lights in the sky were made for the earth, for man, to give light by day and by night, to serve as signs, and to determine the seasons.

(emphasis mine)

This takes the wind out of the sails for the geocentric theory by making it more into a humancentric theory. What's so special about us that we get a universe created for our viewing pleasure? I have yet to see anything that justifies that level of arrogance.

From a scientific standpoint, I was open minded about geocentricity until I heard that it had been disproven several centuries ago, and was laid on the shelf next to the flat world theory, spontaneous generation, and honest politicians. I believe that was sometime during elementary school, and I have yet to see any reason geocentricity--or even heliocentricity, saying that the sun is the center of the universe--is valid.

Aside from that, regardless of which theory is correct, I doubt it would matter in the slightest. All of our astrophysics have been calculated to be correct regardless of what is the center of the universe, so it's not like the space program would have to be rethought.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I offer mine as well and you can take it or not. I personally think that any religious scriptures that were written before the introduction of modern scientific techniques and that tried to explain natural phenomena were valiant efforts to (somewhat) logically deduce what was going on around those writing it. If any higher power was directly involved in the explanation, then most likely the people were interpreting the "story" as best as they could. We may make discoveries in the next 2K years that make our current theories look just as ignorant as many of the theories we now discredit, but the ones we have now work great for all intents and purposes, and explain things much better IMO.

Just my two cents...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How do you define close minded? An unwillingness to consider a different side?

Because, personally, I agree for the most part. But it's stupid to waste your time considering something that is just physically wrong.

For example, no point considering that the Earth is flat, as you said. Why? Because we've sailed/flown around it and taken pictures of it. Equally pointless is that the Earth is the center of the solar system. Why? Because we've sent countless probes around the entire solar system and hae taken thousands of pictures of it.

I don't waste my time.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

That sounds funny coming from me.

No kidding.

What I'm talking about is just rejecting things out of hand. For example, I believe that the earth is the center of the universe (but it's ROUND, okay?) and that the sun, etc., go around it.

I reject this the same as I reject the existence of Leprechauns. It's not about being close minded, it's just silly to me.

People just get brainwashed into believing things.

Yeah... exactly. Things like geocentricity.

That's a reason why I'm not putting my child into public school. He doesn't need to hear candy-coated, altered history brought to you by the Ministry of Truth. He doesn't need to hear the lie that Columbus was some kind of hero.

Yes, why send him out to be brainwashed when you can do the job at home?

I'm all for home-schooling and I commend you for taking your son's education so seriously. I wish more parents did. I probably strongly disagree with your curriculum, but that's none of my business.

Seriously, you're free to believe in geocentricity or a flat world or Leprechauns if you want, but the fact that other people don't take it up doesn't mean they're close-minded. Perhaps more scientific-minded or logical or less willing to follow a faith, but not necessarily close-minded.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
My definition of closed-minded is someone who rejects an idea out-of-hand and doesn't even bother to research it.

I know when I first heard about it a couple of years ago, my knee-jerk reaction was NO WAY. But then I went to the site, and I read up on it, did a little research, and I was like, wow, THIS makes sense!

It's not so much the geocentricity thing...it's people who have that knee-jerk response and refuse to even look into the matter and act like they know it all--after all, they learned it in school and that's good enough for them.

Copernicus was a liar.

I'm also wondering how many people actually visited the link....

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Not only did I look at the site, but I googled 'geocentricity' and looked at several other sites.

Frankly, this just seems like another way for religion to overcome or outpower science. Or to state that the 'science of the bible' (whatever that is) is somehow superior.

I get the feeling that in today's world, religions are trying to 'marry' with science to pull in the scientifically-minded people that they're losing over the past few decades. Science is proving many basic religious concepts to be unrealistic, so if religion can make a new psuedo-science (ID, geocentricity) then maybe people won't turn against religion in droves.

I don't understand where it says in the bible that the sun revolves around the earth. I get that according to the bible, the stars and sun were made for the earth, but why does that have to mean that the sun physically revolves around it? I can't find that piece.

I'm not inclined to believe this, but I was wondering what makes you believe it...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

*sigh*

I'm serious here.

BTW I don't think the earth is flat at all. There's just no way.

It seems to me that you're out of hand rejecting the idea that the earth is flat.

It is quite obvious that the earth is flat and I don't like it when people reject this idea just because they've been indoctrinated to believe the earth is round by the photoshopped images of the so called demonic "spherical" earth.

Edit to add excercice to prove the earth is flat:

Get some binoculars during sunset. Look directly at the sun (not dangeous at all), when it is coming in the horizon; you will see that the horizon is completely straight, not rounded like the spherical cult worshippers will make you believe.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

new topics

top topics

join