It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 11 Kingdoms of the Post-Nuclear UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I often drive past Burtonwood every now n again when i go to Manchester for a weekend. In its day, F-84 Jet fighters were based there C-123 Providers n so on. I heard the base closed down in 1989.

There were also about 2 USN bases in the UK too.

Wonder how many Nuclear Bunkers there are in Britain and which is the biggest one?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Its a really interesting topic...
What intrigues me more is the ones we know about are often out of commission. Do we have any now? And are thet for the use of the general population or are they just too expensive to maintain with no clear nuclear threat against us?
I wonder what the contingency plans are for the general population in the event of some major attack or disaster. i am sure the top brass are well catered for.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Hey Dan, i think the place by the M62 your thinking of is called Burtonwood Airfield.

Not just 'by the M-62'. The M-62 is on top of the old main runway!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Noticed that myself, Just think years ago that was in active use, USAF aircraft landing and taking off from there and was part of defence against the communist threat.

Wish the base was still used and just re-arrange the M62 motorway by moving it further down so we will see the planes just taking off over us.

We would see B-52s, F-15s, C-130s, KC-10s n so on if the base was still in use

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
For details on bunkers check homepage.ntlworld.com...

Burtonwood was a stores supply for US troops under REFORGER plans, closed and emptied at the end of the Cold War.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ok Wasp lets look at it this way.

Scotland= 5 million people in many tens of thousands of square miles

London = 8 million people in 300 square miles

So its not so much that Scotland is empty, just sparsely populated, therefore noone would waste the bomb on it.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Au Contraire

Bonny Scotchland has many many targets in it. Nuclear missile stores, submarine bases, frontline airbases (nearest the ruskies) and culturally-important repositories of national good will (Glenmorangie, Laphroig etc etc).

Overall I think the regions were based on total numbers of population rather than geographical size.

[edit on 13-2-2006 by Strangerous]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join