It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Bikers, i Need Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I dont know how many bikers there are on ATS but im in the market for a new bike. At the moment i have a Honda CBR 600 R, its been a good bike but the riding posture is getting a bit much for my aging bones, i ache something terrible when i get to my destination lol.
Now im looking for something that provides me with a more upright riding possition. I have narrowed it down to a few candidates.

First up is the Triumph Speed Triple.. Its a nice street fighter, decent engine size and im told it handles well for a naked bike. No faring though which any biker can tell you can be a bit of a pain in inclement weather. Plus its British

Next is the good old Suzuki Bandit. Again a street fighter, but still minimal protection from the weather. Good solid build and plenty of power with the 1200 engine.

And lastly we have the Suzuki GSF750F. Fully faired sports tourer with a decent size engine, protection from the weather and it looks pretty decent as well. As a sports tourer it will have a more upright riding position than my CBR so should be more confortable for long runs.

Those are my picks, anyone else suggest any other models that may be worth looking at? I dont like Cruisers, nothing against Harleys etc but they just arnt me.
Any sugestions welcome

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Janus]

JAK

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hey Janus, I haven't rode any of those three myself but I have a good friend who owns a Triumph Speed Triple and he is totally in loved with it. The grunt combined with it's delivery was just beautiful apparently.

He's had untold bikes recently including an RVF400 (which was a nice ride but personally I didn't like the engine) to the Supermotard he also owns at present and which he says positively encourages behaviour he though he'd left behind years ago. Have you tried one of those? 'The grin factor is off the scale' apparently.

As for the Harley comment I'm with you there, not my cup of tea. Have you had a go of all three? The answer might become obvious as you go out on one. Definately bear in mind the Supermortard though. He really likes the riding position (he's getting older and the sports type was not really an option), can get from A to B as needs (not just Sundays), but has the added benefit of being stupid fun too!

Jak

[edit on 10/10/05 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hi JAK, i hadnt considered a Supermoto, never been into the Enduro Racing thing or crossers as we call em in my kneck of the woods.
I quite like the BMW R1150 that Ewen Mcgregor and Charley Boorman used when they rode to the US. Not sure i could get used to it though after years of riding sports Bikes ill have a look though.
I agree with you about the RVF 400, engines a bit on the small side but i bet if you stripped it down it would make a decent trak bike.
I havent ridden any of my picks yet, it can be a bit difficult finding a dealer with a demo bike. At the moment im leaning towards the Speed Triple, from what ive heard its got bags of power and decent mid range tourqe. Looks pretty cool as well. Not looking forwards to the wind blast at 70 on the Motorway though lol.
After all this time riding Sports Bikes, Ive owned A Gixer 600, CBR 600 an NSR that i used for Commuting and a 1998 R1, its going to be quite a change moving to a naked bike or a tourer. But you can still have fun nailing the apex on the twistys where i live no matter what you ride.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You'd be king of the road...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Janus, have you looked at the SV650 Suzuki.

www.suzukicycles.com...

or the Suzuki DRZ400sm

www.suzukicycles.com...

The 650 has a good riding position that is not as set forward as your 600, and it's reviews over the past few years has this bike as the cats ass in terms of power to weight and handling, I would take a close look at the SV650.

Now I perfer something with a little more creature comfort than than the 650, this is what I own.

powersports.honda.com

My 1800 is 27th out of 28 motorcycles I have owned over my life, and by far this is the Cadilac of motorcycles. It not only hauls me and my wife, but when I ride one up with my friends on the twistys the 1800 handles quite well in the corners and the suspension and brakes are right off the Honda F1 race bikes.

If you get the chance to test ride an 1800 you will be surprised by the power and handling of this very expensive motorcycle.

Now if I lived in Europe, this is what I would buy in a heart beat !!!!

www.honda.co.uk

CLICK ON FMX650 !!!!!

I don't know why Honda will not sell this bike in the states. It seems that Europe gets all of the cool Hondas.

Oh well, so I build my own Super moto

When I have to let off some steam and need to have some fun, this is what I ride on the back roads here in the midwest USA.

Image Link 1

Image Link 2

SIRR1
Southern Illinois Red Riders 1

[Mod Edit reducing link length - Please review this post ~ Jak]

[edit on 10/10/05 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I hadnt looked at the SV650 but i will, thanks for that. Goldwing is an awesome bike but a little out of my price range, i was looking at spending about £5000 and i should get a couple of grand on my mine when i trade it in.
After careful thought i have decided to go with UK Wizards recomendation, the lines are beautiful and it looks like it goes 100 mph stood still.

Im having a go on my mates Bandit 600 tonite, he likes it and has had 2 of em. If its ok i may get the 1200.
I quite like the look of the SV600 so that may be a winner as well. I like it in Red and it will go with my leathers heheh.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Janus]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I miss my 1994 CBR 900 RR although I'm probably alive today because I sold it. I know what it tops out at btw, FAST.

Looks like you have some tough choices, all look really nice. Let us know which one you pick up and post the mandatory pics!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hi Janus;
I'm in my early 40's, currently riding a Gsxr11 (which I intend to be my last bike and to keep forever) and have been through so many bikes it is unreal.
I too have come to the end of the line with the 'head down, bum up and clip-ons so low they're somewhere around the front wheel axle' malarky, my last bike (a Gsxr750wn) got my back to viciously kill me after the 100 - 150mile mark.
No more.

If I can offer you a little advice and some thoughts?
(I'm assuming you mean brand new machines?)

Triumph Speed Triple:
good machine, radical looks (esp the latest version), very well built with very few vices although the latest torque monster 'big bore' motor has only just come out and may be a little unproven.....but Triumph do have an excellent reputation for reliability and, rather nicely, excellent aftersales customer service.
Many have said for years this is the best bike in the Trumpet range and they're said to be a ton of fun.
Very different to the Honda CBR600 in terms of weight and acceleration (the difference between a peaky machine like your old 600 and a big-bore torque monster has to be felt to be believed, the big motor just makes life so effortless and so much less hassle.....and if there is also a heavy heavy horsepower hit up top so much the better
) and the immeadiate sharpness of handling will feel very different - especially on a bike without a fairing.
It'd be a good choice but as you say has zero weather protection which makes 80mph+ a pain in the neck for any length of time and our colder months a bind too.
Something not to be overlooked.

Suzuki Bandit:
another excellent machine, been around for ages so spares are easily available and there is a massive custom scene (you can really personalise a Bandit), it has a peach of an unburstable engine even if it is the older 'oil and air cooled' Gsxr motor, vast potential to tune for more reliable power when you get too used to it - over 400bhp is possible if you have the budget and inclination!, great value for money too, again few vices (maybe very heavy compared to that 600 you had).
New model in the shops next march/april so good deals to be had on the existing stocks.
Also if that kind of thing appeals how about the Gsx1400?
It's more up to date with the 2-butterfly EFI (as per the latest Gsxrs) and is also hugely tunable (have a look around the net for the various owners groups, you'll see a ton of possibilities out there and many owners are happy to let you know some of their experiences.
The trick is stopping them!
)

GSF750F:
Another worthy machine; based on the older 'oil and air cooled' Gsxr750 motor (so as bullet-proof as they come). Not the greatest finish though, needs keeping out of the weather (but don't they all) and looking after (again, but don't they all).
A workman like machine and good value too.

It's just a though but before you ditch the 'first division' bikes entirely - Have you thought about something more sporty but just with different bars?

You can get a set of excellent quality fully adjustable Giles bars for around £300 brand new (if you are lucky and have the time you could try ebay, I got mine for £100 on ebay) and they even do a set of 'risers' to make them higher and pull back more for a further £70 brand new.
They're very easily fitted (at worst you'll need 1 or 2 new brake hoses and a couple of cables) and mean you don't have to give up the premier league sports bikes.

Fully adjustable pegs are also readily available (many people just consider using them as rear sets but the adjusters can be used to drop and move forward the peg position).

That way you can stay with a sporty power-monster and you do not have to trade down in the handling, weight or all round high-spec department either.
The only downside I can see is a little less weight over the front but I'd pit the handling of my Gsxr against that of any retro big-bore bike anyday of the week (and the wheelies are mouth-watering!
).

When you change bike you just change the bars & pegs back and fit them to your new bike. Easy.

There are some great deals out there on all of the current crop of 1000's (all facing new versions in mar/april 06 although the Suzuki is mostly just a new paint job.....with the 1000's they are a year out of synch with the other 3 and the Gsxr1000 gets it's big update in 07).

By the way if you are buying brand new, why?
Why not look out a seriously mint *whatever* 1-2yr old machine with a genuine main dealer full history and let some other sucker take the knock on depreciation?

If the SV650 appeals think about the SV1000 too, they didn't sell as well as hoped in the UK and there are some great deals out there.

I know a (very well off) guy who loves the big V twins and has had almost all of them (inc Foggy replica Ducati and is currently on a 999. He also owned the SV650 & 1000) funnily enough he rates the big air cooled 900ss/944 (not the 916/955/996/998) Ducati as the most practical and enjoyable of the big V's in a day to day riding sense (and reliability is much better than it used to be........if you buy a minter that has been looked after by a pukka Ducati main dealer).
They'll happily do trackdays too if you are into them.

There are a million and one great bikes out there, take your time (don't buy the first one you see and like.....unless it's an amazing deal you just can't say no to!).

The best advice is always to try and get someone very laid back, not easily impressed and who knows a lot more about them than you to go along with you if you can.

Good luck.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Weekday fun...

Bust the bank account #1

Weekend fun...

Husqvarna TC 510
Bust the bank account #2

*wipes drool from keyboard*

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
would be a 2-3 year old Yamaha FJ1100.

www.yamaha-motor.com...

You should be able to find a used one ebay.uk for your price.

I think the Bandit is kind of buzzy thru the bars and on the butt, make sure you do a long ride on your friends Bandit before you plunk down hard cash on a used one.

No comment on the SMX650 Honda hmmmmm.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
would be a 2-3 year old Yamaha FJ1100.

- Didn't you get the FJ1200 in the USA Sirri?

Either way I'd say that is getting pretty old (in age and tech).

I think the Bandit is kind of buzzy thru the bars and on the butt, make sure you do a long ride on your friends Bandit before you plunk down hard cash on a used one.

- Test before you buy, always a good policy.

No comment on the SMX650 Honda hmmmmm.

- I've had a look around, it's not a UK model.
we get something a bit like it in the shape of the Honda Dominator 650 single.
But it's a single......

(You have to understand that in the UK we have a major tendancy to go for sports 4's or sports 2's.
Every other part of the market beyond these segments tends to be comparatively small here)

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
Weekday fun...
Harley-Davidson. V-rod

- Well each to their own matey but IMO whilst it's better and far more up to date (tech wise) than their previous offerings it is still a grossly overweight (with all that means for handling, braking and performance) and relatively low powered machine - and here in the UK at least at a very high price too.

We have corners (and curves) on our roads in Europe and the UK!

Weekend fun...
Husqvarna TC 510

- Now that is more like it (for the intended purpose).
They are proper off road bike those Huskys, some might just say a tad too much on the 'experts only' side of things?

[edit on 10-10-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Wow a lot more replies than i expected, its made the job of picking a new bike a bit harder than i expected lol.
All the bikes mentioned are worth a look, exept the Harley, nothing against them but im really not into cruisers and they are bloody expensive in the UK.
Went out on my mates Bandit for a hour last night and to be honest i wasnt that bothered over it, seemed very heavy compared to mine and didnt have the omph i am looking for, i didnt feel that confident leaning it over in the twisties as i am with mine, prob just need to get used to it but i dont think ill bother getting one.
I have found a Triumph dealer that has demo bikes so im going in this weeken to have a test ride on a speed triple, he also suggested the Speed four and the Sprint ST ( a sort of a sports tourer ).
Im going to go for a second hand bike as we all know they lose value as soon as you ride them off the for court.
Im considering Sminkeys suggestion about the diffent bars and pegs as well. If i could get a more comfy possition on my bike i wouldnt change it, the acceleration and handleing are superb on a CBR i can get my knee down with no worries at all, only on track days Officer honest .. ahem, and theres nothing like a race bike to make you feel 21 again

Thanks for the suggestions guys you have given me a lot to think about, i will let you know how i get on.

new topics

top topics

join