It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writer Competitions, Contests and Submissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hi everyone

I am starting a new thread to share competitions, contests and submission info etc for your stories. I apologise if some of these are off limits due to location. I will try whenever possible to submit links that include everyone. I hope we can create a little compilation of links as well as a place to provide advice and encouragement.

Here are a couple of links for your scary stories:

www.darktales.co.uk...
New Horror and Speculative Fiction Magazine. Competition Summer 2005 (closes 31 October) £3 pounds per story to enter. Overseas writers can enter online.

www.ttapress.com...
3rd Alternative: Respected Sci-Fi, Dark Fantasy and Horror magazine.They accept submissions all year-round, from Britain as well as overseas. No fees other than postage.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Very nice nikelbee, You came in second in the last contest right?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I suspect that the list of places to submit stories to can grow to the thousands, nikelbee, but we should be aware that many of these contests are nothing but a scam to part people from their money.

I'm not suggesting that the 2 links you have provided are like that, but I would like to caution members to check them out thoroughly before sending cash.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Good point Masqua

And whenever possible I will try to provide free competitions. Unfortunately, a lot of them do require entry fees. I would stay away from the poetry.com and other vanity publishing websites however, and those that allow you to 'win' by making you buy useless anthologies written by 700+ writers.

My advice would be to check out bookstores and see what kinds of publications you like the look of and submit to them. Or just peruse online. A reputable website will have entries and submissions from other writers that you can read.

At the same time, just because a fee is attached to the contest does not make it a scam. Dare I say if anyone has come across one of these questionable sites we can inform the others?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Here are a few sites that I found useful for competitions. Some are probably better than others.

Competitions:
www.real-writers.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.miazachary.com...
www.writersreign.co.uk...

top topics

join