It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mount Everest 'Shrinks' By 12 Feet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
New measurements by a Chinese survey team show Mount Everest to be 12 feet lower than previously thought. The most likely reason is some error in measurement; however, some think that the mountain may have actually subsided, possibly due to global warming. The new measurement of 29,017.16 ft above sea level doesn't put in jeopardy its title as the world's highest peak though, as it's still safely higher than the nearby K2 peak which comes in at 28,251 ft.

news.scotsman.com
MOUNT Everest is about 12ft lower than previously thought, according to the results of a Chinese survey of the world's highest peak.

It revealed the summit is now only 29,017.16ft above sea level - 12.14ft below a 1975 Chinese survey and 21.65ft lower than a 1999 American study.

Using a combination of radar and global positioning system (GPS) equipment, Chinese mountaineers scaled the peak in May this year and measured the height against six control points near the mountain's base for reference.

The revised measurement does not threaten Everest's revered position as the world's highest peak - the second highest, K2, is 28,251ft above sea level - but it may surprise some observers, while perhaps confirming suspicions that the mountain has been shrinking due to the effects of global warming.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this difference is due to some error in measurement, in either past measurements or this Chinese measurement. I can't see how some people are saying global warming could make it shrink -- if anything I'd think it'd make it taller because of the reduced weight of glaciers from melting. Conventional wisdom says Everest is still actually growing taller due to the continued effect of India pressing against Asia causing rocks to fold and move skyward.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
~~

feet & inches??

since when did the scientific community cease using metrics?

~~

i notice that someone is trying to pin the blame on human error
rather than the GPS system (as GPS is a $$ producing product)
i notice that a subliminal confusion is being suggested & reinforced
by the use of mixing 'feet&inches' measurements vs. 'metric'....
and the buzz word Chinese mountaineers rather than
scientists or technichions...
but the good PhD @ Edinborough used the terms "1cm, 25mm,10mm"
in his learned discourse.

sheeze

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Umm, Udio, that's a Scottish site, which still uses Imperial measurements in everyday use IIRC. So why would they give measurements in meters when most people reading the article use feet and inches? This is not a scientific publication, so they'd have no standard to meet in what measurement system to use. You're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one.

And look at the previous measurements. The most recent one is actually *more* inaccurate than one done in 1975. Even assuming that one of the two previous measurements is correct and the GPS one is incorrect, either the Chinese one or the American one is off by twice or a half.

And most scientists aren't mountaineers. Don't 1/4 of people whoa ttempt to scale Everest die? I would imagine they would send trained and professional mountain climbers to scale Everest, as opposed to someone who has a Ph.D but is going to fall off a cliff halfway up.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Esoterica]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The latest Chinese measurement used ground penetrating radar to determine the actual rocky top of the mountain. Previous measurements were of the "ice on top". All measurements were basically correct, plus or minus the error factor. This includes the previous British measurements. Ice does increase and decrease more rapidly than rock.

btw... Mt Everest isn't the tallest mountain on Earth, just the highest above sea level. Measure from the center of the Earth and see what you get...
(Note: the Earth isn't round...)

[edit on 10-10-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'd say we're most likely looking at an error. All it would take is one integer entered arong and you'd have a built in error that would grow exponentially through every calculation. Also, GPS units are not exempt from error and when we do road centerlines, we are required to check into to a USGS point weekly for accuracy checks.

Yeah, the global warming crowd tries to tie everything to their cause and they are getting pretty despirate, it now seems.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZPE StarPilot
btw... Mt Everest isn't the tallest mountain on Earth, just the highest above sea level. Measure from the center of the Earth and see what you get...
(Note: the Earth isn't round...)

I think Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain when measured from the base (which is WAY below the sea) to the peak.

top topics

join