It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Successfully Test New Supersonic Airliner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Japan conducted a successful test flight of a supersonic jet in the Australian outback on Monday, which takes it a step closer to its goal of developing a successor to the Concorde.

news.bbc.co.uk
Japan's Aerospace Exploration Agency (Jaxa) has successfully tested a new design for a supersonic airliner.

An 11-metre scale model was launched by rocket from the Woomera test site in the Australian desert.

The designers say that in 15 to 20 years time a 300-seat airliner could be flying as fast as the Anglo-French Concorde, which was taken out of service two years ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I suspect scramjet technology will circumvent this new Japanese model before it ever gets commericalized. If they can't improve fuel efficiency, it will never become profitable either.

Related News Links:
mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp
abcnews.go.com
www.physorg.com

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

[edit on 10/15/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Interesting plane but I hope they aren't planning vertical launches like this on the final version.
I think that would put a lot of people off.
Why not just do a proper launch like the concorde?

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Wait, if its a passenger airline...why are they doing vertical launches? Is it still in that early of a stage of development? One last thing, is JAXA the Japanese government or a private company?

BlueAngel

[edit on 16-10-2005 by BlueAngel]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I assume the rocket vertical launch is the cheapest way to get the model up to its operational speed.......! Cheaper than dropping it from a carrier aircraft then using a solid booster to take it up to Mach 2 +

Sv Out.....!

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The pictures above are of a scale model recently tested.
Vertical rocket launch is an inexpensive way to do the testing.
The real thing will be like a Concorde, landing and taking off from a runway, but with higher flight speeds.

Artist's picture of model in flight:

www.newscientist.com...

Here is the artist's design concept of the proposed aircraft, and webpage at JAXA, the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency:

www.jaxa.jp...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Interesting plane but I hope they aren't planning vertical launches like this on the final version.
I think that would put a lot of people off.
Why not just do a proper launch like the concorde?

I think they would do a proper launch like concorde, the problem being the high speed necessary to do it. And the large amount of noise generated, which with airports like JFK and heathrow, is a problem.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's a model, used to test aerodynamics. The plane is still in a VERY early stage of development. Before you build a prototype, you must know what you want to build. You do this with inexpensive testing (= vertical launching of models).

top topics

join