It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punching bag, NOPD style

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Talk about problems....

The NOPD is in such a mess that a couple thousand National Guard troops are having to stay to help secure New Orleans. The timeframe is for the stay is till next March!

No wonder that NOPD Police Superintendent Eddie Compass resigned, huh?

Anyone also heard that NOPD police officers stole Cadillacs before Katrina hit?

Louisiana officials are looking into allegations that New Orleans police officers stole Cadillacs from a dealer as Hurricane Katrina closed in.

At first, the city's police chief said officers were using the cars for patrols. He said that was not looting. Now the department will only say it is cooperating with the state investigation.

The Cadillac dealer president says more than 150 cars were taken, including 88 new Cadillacs and Chevys, used cars and customers' cars and two restored classic cars. Doug Stead says that amounts to more than four (m) million dollars in losses.

Authorities look into claims New Orleans cops cleaned out Cadillac dealer

Even more ludicrous is that an NOPD spokesman decried the "looting" charges as the appropriation of non-essential items during the height of Katrina, from businesses.
Amazing and dumbfoundly, when city officials or police officers do such things as stealing and theft, it is called "appropriation of non-essential items". Huh?!

Definate major issues within the NOPD.

seekerof

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Seekerof]

THIS is why I don't trust cops. Never have. Never will. No, they're not all dirty, but how do you know who is and who isn't. All it takes is a hurricane and a flood and the real person comes out, badge or not.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually after listening to the rights of the law enforcement in NO over dealing with public intoxication I found out that they have the right to use any force necessary to control individuals.

Come ot find out dude wan't even drunk so now what is their excuse

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
So ya saying the cops should beat everybody up? You know, just in case they have an AK47 tucked away somewhere?

No, I think he was saying (and rightly so), that none of us were there. We don't know what happened. We know what 10 seconds of film told us, and that's it. We have no idea what happened before this incident.

Instead, we get CNN reports that basically have a bunch of other people who also don't know what happened talking about the event.

We all know what's going to happen here, regardless of the full truth of the situation (which is unknown to everyone but the cops and the guy).

But, to say that the cops were in no danger is just as fallacious as saying that they were totally out of line. We don't know. We weren't there.

We should all try not to jump to conclusions.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
where are the ATS cop apologists for THIS one??? is there a law enforcement convention???
i wouldn't go to new orleans if you paid me.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Man tells his side of the story.
us.video.netscape.com...

You guys can flame me if you want but from what I have observed most "newer" cops seem to be in it for the power. The older veterans seem to be much more friendly with the public. The newer ones seem to have engrained in their head that most citizens are bad and cause trouble.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I never said what happened to that guy was justifiable, or a cop punching someone in the head for no reason is right, so please, DON’T put words in my mouth.

If a police officer is attacked by a person or a group of people and doesn't have time to grab his gun or pepper spray, would you advise the cop to do nothing because punching is not allowed?
I think in that situation a cop punching his attacker whether it be in the head or the body is justifiable, until the police officer can reign control of the situation.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

If a police officer is attacked by a person or a group of people and doesn't have time to grab his gun or pepper spray.He/She should be trained not to punch in the head and face. In this scenario, the single cop would need to flee and regroup.

I think in that situation a cop punching his attacker whether it be in the head or the body is justifiable
Punching Directly in the Face and head, is what I said.

Note how I do not tell you your Idea or opinion is ridicules.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
If a police officer is attacked by a person or a group of people and doesn't have time to grab his gun or pepper spray, would you advise the cop to do nothing because punching is not allowed?
I think in that situation a cop punching his attacker whether it be in the head or the body is justifiable, until the police officer can reign control of the situation.
[edit on 11-10-2005 by WestPoint23]

Like SpittinCobra said, it would be best to run away. That said, you can 'what if' it to death (and WestPoint, you usually do) but the fact remains that punching is a no-no.
Every LEA I have worked with or heard of would tell its officers the same thing, that punching is never OK.

That said, no plan survives first contact, and for officer safety reasons, you must do what you gotta do to go home at the end of your shift sometimes.

If you get into a situation where you somehow don't have your duty belt and at the same time allow yourself to be surrounded by a group of thugs and cannot run away, by all means, punch away if a punch is the best thing you got (and it won’t be, if you paid attention in academy.) Just don't expect to have a job in the morning.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by cavscout]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Note how I do not tell you your Idea or opinion is ridicules.

That's because it isn't.
I never said it should be practiced and implemented by officers, I just found the idea of you saying never, just a little too much.

by all means, punch away if a punch is the best thing you got (and it won’t be, if you paid attention in academy.) Just don't expect to have a job in the morning.

It shouldn't be that way, a police officer shouldn't be handicapped if his life depends on the situation because it might not look good on TV, or because Mr. and Mrs. X might find it disturbing.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

by WestPoint23:
It shouldn't be that way, a police officer shouldn't be handicapped if his life depends on the situation because it might not look good on TV, or because Mr. and Mrs. X might find it disturbing.

That would qualify as "self-defense" and I doubt you will find anyone who would argue the point under a true life-or-death type situation. The situation at hand, and the topic being discussed, bears no similarities to a self-defense nor life or death type situation.

Regardless of what we didn't see, what's not in the video, can you offer any scenario(s) that would warrant the excessive aggression portrayed in the video?

Bear in mind the 4+:1 ratio . . . and we won't even discuss the out-of-line and unlawful actions of the man accosting the news reporter.

Hand #1 cuff - Hand #2 cuff - Done!

If it takes 4 to do it . . . fine . . . but that's where it should have ended!

Attempts at justification due to stress are absurd.

Peace2All

[edit on 10/11/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
12m8keall2c, I wasn’t talking about what occurred in NO, I was talking about a hypothetical situation.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join