It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need To Talk Evry. One come here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
it seems that noone quite understands the ter U.F.O. first of all i am not here to criticise people or groups of any kind, my only wish is to educate some people. Now let's move on shall we, a U.F.O. is an Unidentified Flying Object, it is not anything that is related to aliens, or Extraterrestrials (or E.T.'s). The proper tone for a space craft of an alien decent is an E.T. space craft, it's all to common that people on this site make the common misconception that E.T. space crafts are U.F.O.'s which is not right. I am a skeptic if you ask and yes i do de-bunk useless and stupid junk, which is usually painfully obvious but people still believe in it. Anyways that was all that i needed to stay thank you and good day

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Says you. Thats your opionion and thats fine. Does not mean everyone shares your thoughts on it. If I want to call it a UFO I will and for lack of a better term thats exactly what it is be it a space craft or a piece of frozen crap that was just dumped from a passing airliner. At the moment its seen its unknown.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Whompa1]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If you dont know what it is, or WHO is in it, what does it matter if you call it a UFO or an extra terrestrial space craft?

You would sound like an absolute nut going around saying look up in the sky its an extra terrestrial space craft !

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
dulc i didn't mean that i meant people on this site go around posting things about aliens and say U.F.O's are real, when in reality you can't say U.F.O.'s are real because they are unidentifed and you don't know what it is.Basically what i mean is that people who go around in threads saying u.f.o.'s are real, when they are reffering to aliens, shouldn't refer to the term u.f.o.'s. A U.F.O is an unidentified flying object, it cannot be an alien space craft unless you have already identified it which most people, if not all of us can do, because we do not know if aliens truely do exist or not.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaxPineapple
Basically what i mean is that people who go around in threads saying u.f.o.'s are real, when they are reffering to aliens, shouldn't refer to the term u.f.o.'s. A U.F.O is an unidentified flying object, it cannot be an alien space craft unless you have already identified it which most people, if not all of us can do, because we do not know if aliens truely do exist or not.

A quick off the topic note - just because one person does not know if aliens exist doesn't mean everyone else doesn't know either - but I agree that once an object is given an identity that is in any way more specific than simply "flying object", then it is no longer simply an "unidentified flying object", and is now something more specific - ASSUMING that identify is indeed TRUE, and that is the sticking point. Because I can call an object "a flying taco" doesn't mean that that is what it is - and so unless it is somehow obvious to most people, it will still be called a UFO by those who don't know that it is a "flying taco".

I think people continue to call "alien space craft" UFO's for 2 reasons.

One, most people simply cannot be in any way certain whether something is truly an "alien space craft", and the best they can do is see that it is a flying object, and the rest is just someone's theory to them. So even though some people call this object an alien space craft, others may be less certain. However, everyone can see that it is a flying object, and that is the only thing certain about it for most people (well not ABSOLUTELY certain, but far more certain than it being an alien spacecraft).

And the second reason is, UFO's are synonymous in our culture with "alien space craft". So when someone says I saw a UFO, most people will NOT think that he's talking about a flying object that he did not know the identity of, but will think he's specifically referring to a stereotypical saucer-shaped alien space craft (often with little green men
), or something similar. So the acronym is most often used in its cultural meaning (alien space craft) than its literal meaning (unidentified flying object).

But purely from a logical perspective I agree with you that if you're specifically talking about "alien spacecraft" then calling them UFO's is illogical since you already identified them as "alien spacecraft".

It would be just as illogical as talking about "Italian bread" but calling it "unknown food" throughout the entire conversation. UNLESS of course "unknown food" had a purely cultural meaning, and it simply meant "Italian Bread", and NOT what it actually means

My 2 cents.

-Mike

[edit on 10-10-2005 by lilblam]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
When talking about extra-terrestrial vehicles, the term UFO is always used. Not just by governments and agencies, but by alien researchers and such.

Any UFO should be considered to be an extra-terrestrial craft unless proven otherwise.

Fortunately, there are countless pictures of extra-terrestrial craft which are obvious to even a monkey, and would not be questioned by anyone with human intelligence.

Of course there is the occasional manufactured picture.....but the majoriy aren't, and it's pretty obvious.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak

Any UFO should be considered to be an extra-terrestrial craft unless proven otherwise.

I beg to differ. Any "unidentified flying object" should be considered an object that is a traditional aircraft and/or astronomic anomaly before it can be considered to be an alien spacecraft. Most ufos' are, upon examination, found to be aircraft, weather balloons, satellites, Venus or stars or some phenomenon created by atmospheric conditions. This is not to say that all ufo's have natural, mundane, origins but that appears to be the case.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Sure we do!!! But what about? What if you just call here a load of aliens, or implantees?

What kind of people are those so called "Everyone"? I know that: It's exactly ME!!!

Well, since I don't really know what to talk about, it is up to you, what that deliberate subject might be. Let me hear.... the definition of aliens, alien spacecraft, or whatever?

Or do you wish to talk about something else? Are we going to make a nice deal?

[edit on 10-10-2005 by istvan1]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
We know what the term "UFO" stands for, and without question it is linked to the ET penominom, and when we look at UFO websites and UFO magazines the subject is about alien visitors,
A reason for this i believe is, traditional aircraft and/or astronomic anomalys do generally become Identified Flying Objects (IFO) becouse of there certain natural behaveural trates,
the one's that act uncommonly, or in a way that can not be concieved as traditional aircraft and/or astronomic anomalys, will remain UFO's,
thus, once a ufologist determins this, the opinion will be a ET space craft,
so thats why UFO's are linked and persieved to be ET space crafts, simply becouse they remain Unidentifiable or Unexplainable Flying Objects

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I really get annoyed when people say UFOs don't exist.... Because they do. It doesn't mean they are alien craft...... Thats just one possibility.....

The truth is that there are unknown objects flying around us, in space and on our planet...... Its 100% fact UFOs exist.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The term UFO has a cultural definition that typically indicates a space ship/whatever of some kind. You are going to waste a lot of energy trying to change this. But if it's that important to you, go for it.

Do you realize that you made your title longer by attempting to abbreviate it?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
I really get annoyed when people say UFOs don't exist.... Because they do. It doesn't mean they are alien craft...... Thats just one possibility.....

The truth is that there are unknown objects flying around us, in space and on our planet...... Its 100% fact UFOs exist.

Okay here this is what i mean.... you can't say u.f.o's exist, sure the term u.f.o.'s exists, but what people are making the connection to extraterrestrials is wrong, how can you believe that a u.f.o. exist's when you don't even know what it is that you are looking at.

Most of you make the common misconception that a u.f.o. is an alien spacecraft which is wrong, what you couild be seing is a group of fighter pilots or such. I am not here to argue just trying to get my point out.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No, no..... There are some freaky things flying around us...... I personally know...

Its just a matter of opening your mind and excepting the evidence as fact.

Now a small percentage of these can't be explained.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yes, this is reasonable, and yes in air defense term UFO means any craft which is not identified, even if this is human made aircraft if you don't know who is flying.
And among other phenomena natural or supernatural ALiens from outer space is smalll amount of them.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
We are fully aware of what the term UFO means, I can assure you of that. Because we theorize and speculate that UFOs could be of ET origin doesn't mean we all automatically assume that they are or that we confuse ET craft with UFOs.

The reason that UFO has become a widely accepted term in the UFOlogy community is simply that, while some guess their origin to be ET, to all intense and purposes, they are still unidentified flying objects.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shorty
We are fully aware of what the term UFO means, I can assure you of that. Because we theorize and speculate that UFOs could be of ET origin doesn't mean we all automatically assume that they are or that we confuse ET craft with UFOs.

The reason that UFO has become a widely accepted term in the UFOlogy community is simply that, while some guess their origin to be ET, to all intense and purposes, they are still unidentified flying objects.

I know that, but most people automatically assume that a u.f.o. is an alien spacecraft which technically wrong. I know that theorizing and speculating that a ufo is of a ET origin, i didn't say that because that would be assuming and would make me look stupid and destroy the whole purpose of this thread.

Listin the only reason i made this thread was to open the people who think ufo's are space craft's of E.T.'s, which is wrong by a technicality, a ufo cannot be directly linked to an E.T.'s space craft due to it being catogarized as unidentified.

The newer skeptics to this site commonly make that misconception which i am trying to point out so they can fix it. again i'm not argueing(sp?) just pointing out the obvious.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I beg to differ. Any "unidentified flying object" should be considered an object that is a traditional aircraft and/or astronomic anomaly before it can be considered to be an alien spacecraft.

I think this is a case of.... is the glass half full or half empty, only relating to our beliefs rather than views on life.

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Most ufos' are, upon examination, found to be aircraft, weather balloons, satellites, Venus or stars

Hahaha, that's bloody halarious.

Look, I think any sensible person can tell a true UFO from an aircraft, stars or Venus

It's impossible to know if a bright dot, moving accross the sky is an alien ship or a satellite, so closer examination here will not matter.

As for weather balloons...well after about 50 years of "No sir, it wasn't an alien ship, just a weather balloon", when in a LOT of cases it most definately was not "a new experimental kind of weather balloon" I think we are all pretty goddamn tired of them.

And I've never seen one in my life. Nor an alien ship or even a UFO.

Originally posted by benevolent tyrantor some phenomenon created by atmospheric conditions.

Can you suggest some?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I remember a case where a British police officer witnessed a 30 metre UFO (And had missing time) floating above a country lane (several other officers witnesses it too)

It was dismissed as 'the planet Venus'

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
People are ignorant by definition and when they see something in the sky it is 99.9999999% Venus or star or airplane or something like that and they love to call it UFO.
Technicaly for them it is UFO.
And don't tell me it is easy to recognise this when it isn't.
Hundreds, thousands of people were talking to me how they saw something and that was guess what = VENUS.
You have other planets, too.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
ManokoW

Venus??

I think you should research a little more into the UFO phenomenon.

If you see a stationary pin point light in the sky that lasts for a long time thats Venus.

If you see a giant flying saucer hovering with a rotating bottom which suddenly zooms off at a phenomenol speed....... I guess thats Saturn

But I do agree with you. Most 'UFOs' are the result of something other than aliens or secret government craft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join