It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honawewe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Anyone have any info on this crypto?

Supposedly of the Great Basin area of the western U.S.

I am getting conflicting info. Either it is a local name for sasquatch or a different, but somewhat similar, creature (quadraped?).

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You might read here. www.bigfootencounters.com...
This is a report I found listed that mentions this name being used for bigfoot like creatures by Washoe Tribe Indians in Douglas County, Nevada on October, 1994. This is the only time I have heard this name being used. Very good report to read.

When I herd the first scream I was so startled I jumped 2ft in the air. I never go in the mountains unarmed I was carrying a 30 round SKS. I could hear this beast was extremely angry and coming straight at me. I thru the safety off of my riffle and fired 10 rounds over the head where the creature was making his noise, which would have been 50 yards to the south of me. It stopped its advance towards me. Then it started to move in the opposite direction uphill, all the while screaming and breaking trees along the way until it crested a large hill.

Just a part of the story. Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I already found that one. I also searched for variations in spelling and Piaute, Washoe, Shoshone, and Ute folklore websites.

I first saw it in an out of print book on Native American myths and legends and it had no footnote or source reference. I sent an email to the local tribal elder council but haven't heard back yet. They work in preserving the language and culture, so if anyone knows of the legend, they should.

I thought I already knew most of the local legends and tales, but this is a new one on me.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
I already found that one. I also searched for variations in spelling and Piaute, Washoe, Shoshone, and Ute folklore websites.

I first saw it in an out of print book on Native American myths and legends and it had no footnote or source reference.

I thought I already knew most of the local legends and tales, but this is a new one on me.

Wow. Interesting find. And amazing about the lack of references to Honawewe (For some reason the word sounds familiar?). You've got a good point here. If Bigfoot existed then the Native American Indians would be well aware of its existence, not?

So here's what I found (Not much but just for interest's sake):
Some North American Indian tribes knew that Bigfoot was not an ordinary animal. If a member of the tribe wanted to pursue such a creature, the individual had to be ritually purified. There was a contagious, unclean aspect to encountering Bigfoot.
From TricksterBook.com
(Footnote 3 refers to www.liminalspace.co.uk... : Buckley, 1980, p. 155.

A complete list of Pre-Columbian and Early American Legends of Bigfoot-like Beings...
Bigfoot Legends
I have no idea which tribe lived in "the Great Basin area of the western U.S."... But I did not find the word "Honawewe"...

Other supernatural beings that used to be seen in the Coeur d'Alene and Spokane countries were called the Tree men. They, too had a strong odor. They dressed in buffalo skins and had the power to transform themselves into trees and bushes. Once, when a number of people were dancing in the Spokane country near a small lake close to the present day Cheney, they suddenly smelled a bad odor. One of them exclaimed, "That is the Tree Men!"

The people looked around and saw four men standing a little apart from one another and wearing around their shoulders buffalo skins, with the hair side out. As soon as they saw people looking at them, they disappeared. Four bushes stood where the four Tree Men stood. Those four bushes could be seen until lately. Possibly the power of the people's glances killed them or prevented them from changing themselves back into men.

From what I gathered from the above site, there were little such legends in the far South - a couple in the Southwestern parts, but mostly up North.

Hmm... No reference to Washoe though... Interesting!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In the NE part of California and Klamath Lake region of Oregon bigfoot had a local name of Mat Hah Khan'Gmi. Slight variations in pronunciation among the Modoc, Klamath, and Ahjumawi languages. (interestingly, a Tibetan term for the Yeti roughly phonetically translates as 'Meteh Kammi' -- very similar word!).

In my source book 'The People of the Forest. Animals in Folklore in the Great Basin', Honawewe is definitely a 4 legged creature with both snake-like and human-like attributes and larger than a bear. The single report on the bigfoot website suggests a bigfoot like creature, but not the bigfoot.

More sleuthing is needed.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_54

I Live In Northern Nevada And Have Spoken To Some Local Natives About This And Its Suprising The Information About It. Even To This Day There Are Still Places Even The Younger Generations Will Not Go Due To These Legends.

new topics

top topics

join