Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Hurricane Isabel

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
AF1

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is one huge ass hurricane. Winds up to 160 mph. Looks like it will hit the US east coast around next week. I'm in southern VA, and we are already getting some effects of it. It looks like the Carolina's are gonna get most of it.

Here is the predicted path of it:
www.nhc.noaa.gov...


Maybe I should go get some surfing done in Hatteras before this thing tears it apart.




posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Hasn't been a Cat. 5 since 1998. I live in southern va. and it's expecting to be a major threat by next weekend..I think... what have you heard AF? News this a.m. on WAVY TV 10 said next weekend.....

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 12-9-2003 by Seekerof]


AF1

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
From what I've haerd its still too early to decide, and theories are ranging from it itting the east coast to it going towards florida, or it might be re-directed north and just stay at sea. They are however pretty positive that if it hits land, its gonna be widespread and pretty powerful.



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I lived through Andrew, I can live through another Category 5.



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My first hurricane?
Oh sheet. Time to get canned food & TP....

-B.



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I just heard....
*30+/- across eye.
*170+/- mph winds.
*expecting reprecussions sometime next Thursday or Friday.

Not looking good.
Found these facts and categorized them:

CAT 5 Andrew - 1992 - $26.5 billion
CAT 4 Hugo - 1989 - $7 billion
CAT 3 Fran - 1996 - $3.2 billion
CAT 3 Opal - 1995 - $3 billion
CAT 3 Frederic1 - 1979 $2.3 billion

Of the five most deadly hurricanes, here are their stats:

CAT 4 Galveston, TX - 1900 - 8,000 deaths
CAT 4 South-Central FL - 1928 - 1,836 deaths
CAT 4 FL Keys and S TX - 1919 - 600 deaths
CAT 3 New England 1938 - 1938 - 600 deaths
CAT 5 Florida Keys - 1935 - 408 deaths

Note we've been exceedingly lucky on the East Coast, mainly around the Carolina/Virginia area. Even the Category 5 Andrew which struck in 1992 just clipped the southern tip of Florida. Of course, this Isabel storm could lose power or just wander out to sea.. so who knows?

If Isabel was to hit the Outer Banks/Nags Head area of Carolina....it could be "bye-bye" to those respective sand masses......




Also found this nice real-time site to keep an eye on it:
cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...


regards
seekerof



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I just heard....
*30+/- across eye.
*170+/- mph winds.
*expecting reprecussions sometime next Thursday or Friday.


Also found this nice real-time site to keep an eye on it:
cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...


regards
seekerof



I'd just like to point out that this damned thing is currently nearly the size of both Carolinas combined.

Thanks for the link, seekerof.

-B.



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This just in:
www.wunderground.com...

"Hurricane Isabel Advisory Number 27"


Statement as of 5:00 PM AST on September 12, 2003


...Air Force reserve and NOAA hurricane hunters confirm that Isabel
is a category five hurricane...

at 5 PM AST...2100z...the center of Hurricane Isabel was located
near latitude 21.8 north...longitude 58.6 west or about 350
miles...565 km...northeast of the northern Leeward Islands.

Isabel is moving toward the west near 9 mph...15 km/hr...and this
general motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours.

Report from Air Force reserve and NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft
indicate that maximum sustained winds are near 160 mph...260
km/hr...with higher gusts. This makes Isabel a category five
hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale. Fluctuations in
intensity are common in major hurricanes...and are likely during
the next 24 hours.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 85 miles...140 km...
from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up
to 185 miles...295 km.

The latest minimum central pressure reported by the hurricane
hunters is 920 mb...27.17 inches.
Large ocean swells and dangerous surf conditions are likely over
portions of the Leeward Islands...the Virgin Islands...and Puerto
Rico over the next several days.
Repeating the 5 PM AST position...21.8 N... 58.6 W. Movement
toward...west near 9 mph. Maximum sustained
winds...160 mph. Minimum central pressure... 920 mb.

The next advisory will be issued by the National
Hurricane Center at 11 PM AST.

Forecaster Beven




regards
seekerof



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Banshee,

Remember what we were talking about, escape routes? Might be a good time to schedule a visit with your friends in the moutains....

Seriously, your not in a hell of a lot of danger unless you are out on the coast line, or in a flood plain. (If you have access to FEMA flood maps, now would be a good time to check that out).

You will likely suffer utility outages: get a small propane grill and lots of canned food. Stock up on bottled water as well.

If you have a propane grill, or otherwise access to a BBQ, and have a stock of frozen food, have a hurricane party 24 hours before landfall... better to have the steaks in your stomach than rotting due to lack of refrigeration...

Take it from someone who has been through a hurricane...



posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Banshee,

Remember what we were talking about, escape routes? Might be a good time to schedule a visit with your friends in the moutains....

Seriously, your not in a hell of a lot of danger unless you are out on the coast line, or in a flood plain. (If you have access to FEMA flood maps, now would be a good time to check that out).

You will likely suffer utility outages: get a small propane grill and lots of canned food. Stock up on bottled water as well.

If you have a propane grill, or otherwise access to a BBQ, and have a stock of frozen food, have a hurricane party 24 hours before landfall... better to have the steaks in your stomach than rotting due to lack of refrigeration...

Take it from someone who has been through a hurricane...


Hugo, Fran and Floyd all hammered Charlotte, so I'm not out of the woods just because I'm not on the coast.

And Charlotte is on the fringes of a floodplain.

You know I've got my stockpile of food, and I did go shopping yesterday.
Bleh, I'm not looking forward to this!

-B.



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Seems that people are preparing... and the retailers are already gouging them....

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- As residents of the Southeast warily eye Hurricane Isabel churning in the Atlantic, they may be thinking of boarding up parts of their homes. If they do, they'll find the price of plywood has skyrocketed to a near all-time high.

Some lumber companies are paying double what they were for plywood earlier this summer, but the reason is supply and demand, not gouging. People looking for plywood may also have a hard time finding it in some places. The shortage, and subsequent price spike, are the result primarily of the home building boom this summer and of wet weather that's made it hard to harvest logs.

www.cnn.com...



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
hopefully it stays away from my beach house in Myrtle. Yeah but the predicted path runs right over where i live. It always get git by any storm that hits the east coast. NC is the armpit of the world



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
hopefully it stays away from my beach house in Myrtle. Yeah but the predicted path runs right over where i live. It always get git by any storm that hits the east coast. NC is the armpit of the world


Might be a good time to relocate somewhere inland and on high ground...



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
NC is the armpit of the world


Hey, I like it here.

Then again, I haven't been here long enough to have experienced a hurricane...so my opinion may change.

I don't like how this thing seems to be going...

-B.



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
They are already yelling "surfs up" around my neighborhood.....


regards
seekerof



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
my house is relatively safe from teh storm but it closes everything down in the city and gets me outta school for a few days. But alot of yard work. Banshee ive lived here fro 17 years it sucks i wanna move to dc or nyc



posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
my house is relatively safe from teh storm but it closes everything down in the city and gets me outta school for a few days. But alot of yard work. Banshee ive lived here fro 17 years it sucks i wanna move to dc or nyc


I think I'm kinda safe, maybe? From the worst of it at least? I'm in Charlotte.
I do not recommend DC. I moved here to escape that $hithole of a city. I really have nothing but bad things to say about living there.

-B.



posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
My first hurricane?
Oh sheet. Time to get canned food & TP....

-B.


B.

At least you're thinking right. Springer's theory is, if you have enough TP...you're good. Our TP inventory usually would last nuclear holocaust. Good luck!



posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Okay...to all our east coast ATSr's:

Isn't it time for a nice, relaxing vacation in the quite southwestern grasslands of most hospital INDIAN TERRITORY?

Comfortable accomodations, friendly fellowship, small town peacefulness and above all...

NO HURRICANES!

Let me know if you start this way...I'll start baking a cake!



posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Okay...to all our east coast ATSr's:

Isn't it time for a nice, relaxing vacation in the quite southwestern grasslands of most hospital INDIAN TERRITORY?

Comfortable accomodations, friendly fellowship, small town peacefulness and above all...

NO HURRICANES!

Let me know if you start this way...I'll start baking a cake!


Val,

Your offer to the east coast ATSers is noble and very generous... but why do you want to invite people from ground zero of a Cat 5 hurricane..... into Tornado Alley??





new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join