It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farrakhan Groups to Gather at "Millions More Movement"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
He was among the first to speculate that New Orleans levees were bombed to destroy black neighborhoods. Among other very vocal black leaders Farrakhan has alleged that race was the reason so many suffered in the New Orleans floods following hurricane katrina. According to the following news report Farrakhan plans a gathering. The “Millions More Movement” is said to address lack of response to hurricane Katrina, and will be on 10th anniversary of Louis Farrakhan’s Million Man March.

Full Article Link

Oct 9, 2005 — Hurricane Katrina thrust racial disparities onto the nation's political agenda and top civil rights leaders, fueled by outrage over the disaster, are heading to Washington. The occasion is the 10th anniversary of Louis Farrakhan's Million Man March, a long-planned event that now is shaping up as a stage for black America to respond to the devastation in New Orleans.

"Because Katrina put it out there, no one can play the pretend game any more that there isn't poverty and inequality in this country," said Marc Morial, president of the National Urban League. "The Millions More Movement Katrina gives it added significance."

Though Farrakhan has long stirred controversy and lately he has speculated that New Orleans' levees were bombed to destroy black neighborhoods his event will unite a wide array of prominent social justice advocates. The guest list for Saturday's event includes members of Congress, hip-hop artists, civil rights activists, media pundits, academics and business leaders. Muslim and Christian religious figures will also participate.

How many of you believe that race or economic status played a role in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina?

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
None at all. And if anyone believes that there was a race issue the
1. are after money
2.do not live in new orleans
3. believe the TV way too much

It had nothing to do with race.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Mizar]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Can't say it didn't sting a lil like racism when i realized that it was mostly black folk...but I don't agree that it was completely a race issue.

One thing that really got to me was something a friend of mine said. The way the black people just sat there begging for the government to help them instead of putting their heads together to make the best of the situation until help arrived. And, when help finally came you had black men pushing woman and children aside to get on the buses. Tis a hard thing to wrap your mind around as a black person. What if help never comes...do you just lay in filth and heat and die? Maybe that's what Farrakhan should be rounding a million up to talk about.

new topics

join