It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Believe in the christian God? I dont understand why one does

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Very interesting namehere, thats the first article I've seen specifically relating to Hell and its origin/meaning, I think your right, I think our modern defintion of Hell is the result of conveniently tampering/mistranslating by religon, unfortunately I dont know how many will actually realize that considering the number of people that follow tradition rather than truth.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Many eastern philosophies on Jesus are very interesting, and pertain to what you are talking about. The belief is that Jesus was not the direct offspring of god any more that anyone else. Jesus was an ordinary man who became at one with his Self, and thus became one with God. He came to realize, much as Siddhartha Guatama did before giving up his riches and becoming Buddha, there is a unifying soul. Jesus then understood that we are all one, and thus, be good. To do harm to anyone would be to harm oneself. He wanted to show himself as an example of how one could attain this oneness with God, and thus be god. Christianity, like Buddhism, and Hinduism, was meant to help man ascend to a higher plane of thaught, but it went horribly wrong.

Yes this is true, but one thing that does seperate me from Jesus, is that according to the what the bible tells me of his birth, He wasn't all Human. But as far as christiantiy or better yet the teaching of Christ is what you stated above that everyone and everything is one. I have study a little on the religions of hinduism and buddhaism. I took a class in college on religions and I learned that all these eastern type religion are a basically a break off of ishmael, islamic, musluims.....and so forth. Ishmael himself was born in christianity. Now at the time they were considered the Jews. If people all relgions could see that Jesus and Buddha are teaching the same thing and that they all worship the very same God but in different ways. Then maybe the world would be a little easier to live in. And onther thing, My professor at school also told me that Jesus met with the Buddha. I am still searching for more information on this. And also have you heard of a book called Remember, Be Here Now? Good book on Hinduism.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by raunholt
just me 2 said

Many years ago, I heard my Pastor say in a Sermon once that that “He” is not a he at all. God (the Father) is neither male or female. (Although I do not know where in the Bible is says this.)

Here are some words that describe God being neither male or female.

In the First Epistle of Poul to the Corinthians 11,11 it says
"Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither is the woman without the man in the Lord".

The scriptures below are not to be found in the bible.

Ancient Gospel 52,10
"For in me there is neither Male nor Female, but both are One in ALL perfect. The woman is not without the man, nor the man without the woman".

The gosple of Thomas (114)
Simon Peter said to them, "Let Mary live us, for woman are not worthy of Life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will inter the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Dialogue of the Savior (144)
The Lord said, "when the Father established the world for himself, he left behind many thinks from the Mother of the ALL. Because of this he speaks and acts".

Ancient Gospel 66,13
"When shall the Kingdom come?": "When that which is without shall be as that which is within, and that which is within shall be as that which is without, and, the male with the female, neither male nor female, but the two in One. They who have ears to hear, let them hear".

"Him that created man first, created him as man and woman".

[edit on 8-11-2005 by raunholt]

Well I for one am very interested in receiving a copy of these verses myself. I beleive that verses have been ommited from the bible and if they have it is wrong. refer to revaltions22:18-21 I also have believed my whole life that a soul has no gender but they do have positive and negative forces which are referred to as male and female, but also referred to as good and evil. That is why I read other materials besides what is in the bible. Also this a perfect example of why women are not treated equally as a man.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by just me 2
Thanks for those verses! The non-biblical ones are interesting (bizaar!). I've never heard those before!
Do you suppose they are true? They were ommitted from the original Cannon of Scriptures for a reason.

Revalation 22 18-19. For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book. If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. And if anyone takes away from the words of the of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of life from the holy cityand from the things which are written in this book.
So if they took any or ommitted from the original scriptures, is not for good reason. It must only be for personal gain, because we should not be denied anything that is written.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a sin is a sin no greater no less in the eyes of God. Jesus summend all laws in to two laws. Love thy Lord thy God and love thy brother as thy self. If you love your Lord you will not want to worship any but Him. It doesn't say that all the buddha types are going to hell, hades, even if someone showed them a bible of christianity. God has his dealings with people of these types of religion, and He also says that He is the God of all gods. So, therefore, we can't say that the way the believe is wrong, because they are still Gods faithful. But like all religions of the world, they have their flaws as well. And also you have to remember that God isn't in the Bible, so if we show them book of christianity we are not showing them God. To love your brother as yourself. Well think about it, anything that you don't want another to do to you or to do to someone you love, you wont do to them. For example, lets say you see a prostiute on the street and you say in your heart and,or maybe to her directly, change your ways or you will not be saved. Now keep in mind that you don't know her personal story. She could be praying to God faithfully every night, but because of society and the ways of the world it has put her in this situation. But because Adultry is a sin (not the prostituting, but with that comes adultry) we began to close our hearts to her and never know her. Now for that judgement He will judge you, now not just in the end, but now. and like the earstern religions teach, what comes around goes around. Well since you didn't love her as yourself, Karma will kick you in the butt and you will experience something the same but worse. And not neccessarily in the same way. Someone important could shut you out of their heart. And believe me, my experience is enough to teach me to be careful of what I even think of another soul. But knowing that I am only human it will happen again. But I am still conscience of my sins. Otherwords I do know the difference between right and wrong as far as God's law goes, but I still don't believe that I can't be saved. In the bible divorce becomes a sin only if the women remarries and the man also becomes an adultry. Well does that mean I am going to hell and the many other people I know that believe very much in Christ?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
okay one more and then I am done for awhile. Don't mean to annoy anyone but I gotta get it out.

According to the Jehovah's Witness (which I was raised, but not active)Hell is a place that doesn't really exist. Infact someone in here used the perfect word for it. But first, namehere is right about the word not being in translation. It is a word that through word association was derived. And sheol does mean grave. According to the JW grave is a temporary state until ressurection, a place of nothing really. The body is dead and the soul becomes inactive. However, I have read the scriptures they use to support this as far as the soul becoming inactive and I still don't see it. The body is dead this much we can believe because it is its own evidence. But all over in the bible the soul is what is ressurected. Jesus was ressurected from the grave. The catholics teach of a purgatory, a limbo state where the soul goes for judgment, the mormons teach of three different levels of judgement, terristerial(earth) telestial(a place of judgement and repent) and celestial(God's kingdom). The grave is a place we go before we are judged. Which is death. That is the promise that God says to those who know the truth and still refuse it, is eternal death. The grave is temporary death until God's judgement and then after that those along with satan and his angels that he condmens back to the grave will all be cast into the lake of fire. This the second death. If Jesus prepared a place for his faithful and God prepared the lake of fire for the unfaithful, how could one exist and not the other. And the grave exist not only on earth in physical form of the body but also a place of judement for the soul. And since everyone is a sinner, one could only imagine what goes on or exists in the grave. These places do exists, no where have I read that they are only some state of non-exsitence. If you have, let me know where. The Truth that the bible talks about isn't all heaven and roses. It is also about death, and the Truth about death, no matter how you look at it, isn't a beautiful thing.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by karie]

[edit on 12-11-2005 by karie]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I love to come back and read threads I start. Like this one... still nothing anyone said has answerd my question.

This is typical when we talk about gods and demons. Eveyone one is right and everyone is wrong.

For all of you saying I should not read the text how it is written in the bible I would have to say your wrong.

When you write a book you write a book of want you want to say.... not thinking of how someone else is going to read it, and change it , and believe in it by mixing phrases several thousands of years later.

a book should be read as a book thats it.

If it says killl a person it says kill a person
If it says dont do this now,now do this now: thats what it is saying

Thanks but no thanks

The truth will prevail oneday!!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncbrian211
If it says killl a person it says kill a person
If it says dont do this now,now do this now: thats what it is saying

Thanks but no thanks

The truth will prevail oneday!!

I had a hard time with this once also, and I let it cloud my view of God. There was a verse in the OT that says there were 2 guys that were evil and it says God slayed them(ended their life). I thought God would never do that. I didn't let that stop me from reading the Bible over and over again.

What I eventually found out was this. God did end the life of these 2 people. He did what it says He did. I also found out that God is in charge of when someone dies. It's not satan and it's not even us. He is in charge of when we breathe our last breath. That should be a very sobering thought. That also should be a very comforting thought. No one, and I mean NO ONE can end our life prematurely. The number of years, even days, even hours, even minutes, EVEN SECONDS we live is determined by God.

The alternative would be God doesn't know and isn't in control. So that would make you believe in/feel better about God if it was this way? While God was looking at an African starvation disaster, you died. Then God turns around and sees you dead and says, "Geez, I wasn't ready for that, now what's gonna happen." Of course not.

God is God of everything, even death.

[edit on 21-12-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You asked Why believe in the Christian God. Well first of all He is not the Christian God. He is straight up THE GOD, the one that created everything, even satan He created. He never refers to Himself as the christian God. At least I haven't read it in the bible. Jesus is the Christ which means savior, the chosen one, the messiah, etc. Christianity or christian comes from the word christ. You say you don't understand why one believes in a god that can be cruel, but yet He is also very forgiving. Have you ever consider that maybe everything is not to be understood. Haven't you ever felt one way but thought another. Faith is why we love our Christ or/and our God. It isn't something you are taught from books or what one preaches. You can't see it with your eyes, it is as transparent as the sky,you can only feel it, in your heart, your being, your very existence with every breath you take. You feel it when you witness a peaceful sunset or sunrise. Maybe you should take a break from the facts, fictions, the written words, and even the preached words and look for the answers within. To he who ask, shall recieve. God isn't in the bible, only words that are meant to be a guide. Infact, bible means a guide or tool. The second meaning to belief is feeling, a trust. I feel Him in my heart, my mind is usually mad at Him. I also have to understand, but I accept that there are things that I just don't get, but I trust Him, and only in the end will I completely understand. To he who has experienced no explanation is nessecery To he who has not experienced no explanation is possible. And that came from a Hindu follower. A believer of God, the creator. You know I hope this helps, but the only way your going to get the answer you want is to search for it. And you wont find it in any books.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well some people like to believe in the "almighty" because its simply easier they dont have to think about the hows or whys religion is only there too help but I believe it mainly hurts it is the number one killer after all. I myself am agnostic some people do however benefit from believeing in god infact it saves some too it may or may not answer your question but thought I would reply anyways

<< 2  3  4   >>

join