It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Believe in the christian God? I dont understand why one does

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I would say, "Hey God, should we legalize it?"
Then he would say, "Hell M***** F***** yeah, pass that S***."
Then I would say, "Yo wassup wit my man 2Pac?"
Then he would say, "He's livin in Jamaica wit all his biznatches"
Then I'd say, "he's still alive?"
Then he'd reply, "yeah, he was resurected just like Jesus, Lazerus, and Elvis"
Then we would order pizza and take a w**d nap

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Fear is the best way to insure loyalty. Frear in this life, and fear of what will happen after.

Deuteronomy 6:13
Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.

Deuteronomy 6:24
The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today.

Deuteronomy 10:12
And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Deuteronomy 31:12
Gather the people together, men and women and little ones, and the stranger who is within your gates, that they may hear and that they may learn to fear the LORD your God and carefully observe all the words of this law,

Joshua 4:24
He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the
LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God."
Joshua 24:14
"Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD.

1 Samuel 12:14
If you fear the LORD and serve and obey him and do not rebel against his commands, and if both you and the king who reigns over you follow the LORD your God-good!

1 Samuel 12:24
But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

1 Chronicles 16:25
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.

2 Chronicles 19:9
He gave them these orders: "You must serve faithfully and wholeheartedly in the fear of the LORD.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 2:5
then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 10:27
The fear of the LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.

Proverbs 14:2
He whose walk is upright fears the LORD, but he whose ways are devious despises him.

Proverbs 28:14
Blessed is the man who always fears the LORD, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble.

If you truly knew what god was, there would be no way to sin aginst "him" or reject "him" God is existence, and truth, and all matter, and all energy.

We sin because we are born into it through Adam and Eve's original sin, and of Satan's influence in the world.

God is spirit- John 4:24
God is Love- 1 John 4:8
And He is also many, MANY, other things.

By the way, you bring up an excellent point. why is god a "Him"?

Many years ago, I heard my Pastor say in a Sermon once that that “He” is not a he at all. God (the Father) is neither male or female. (Although I do not know where in the Bible is says this.) Genders are our (man’s) way of understanding one of God’s many characteristics. Our finite minds have no way to REALLY know all of who God is. We only know a small portion of Him.
We do know that Jesus, on the other hand, in His bodily form, was a male.

I wouldn't have to confront god, because god is me.

God is NOT you, and You are NOT God!

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

That is the beauty of it. God is not a seperate entity. God is what all humankind (and mankind if it makes your finite mind understand it better), is. Once again I'll bring up Superstring theory, all matter and energy in the universe IS made up of minute vibrating strings of energy. This energy is connected to a membrane that encompases the entire universe on a multidimensional level, some say 11 dimensions, some more. That membrane allows for everything in the universe to be connected at a fundamental level. If that isn't more the "Creator" or "the light of the Universe" then I'd be hard pressed to find what is.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Superstring theory is no more valid a theory than Christianity. Every little thing connected together is as old as Buddha. How do you know God didn't create these little strings? If you are a part of God how could you know what being every other part of him or her, all at once, was like? Maybe Christianity took a wrong turn somewhere back there, corrupted by man in his own image, but the basic idea is pure. Sounds like your mad at God for not explaing himself to you, and your taking it out on the Christians because they don't need an explaination.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ncbrian211
I read many subjects of how the christian god is the perfect god, the one who makes no mistakes, the almighty, the glorious, the savior, etc.

I am not a believer and because of this I read text for what it is.
Most preachers will just preach one sentence, one part of a thought , a few words from the bible without showing or putting the rest of the text with it.

So with this in mind how can most christians believe in this.

Listen here are a few I picked.....

these are the words of jesus: But anyone who says 'you fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell Mat 5:22

then jesus says at some other time is " how foolish you are" luke 24:25
you fools! luke 11:40

so i guess it is ok for jesus to call people a fool... but not for others to call anyone else a fool

I like the statements, not because Jesus is being a hipocrit but because to me it seems that he(jesus) is the one fooling all.... he uses tricks to get people to follow him just as other writers of the gospels do too.

With a book that is not so loving and not so nice I cant understand why so many have chosen this as their religion.
I am happy people have something to believe in but I hope evryone is not worshipping something different than what they think it is.

It would be horrific to find out one day if this religion is actually the thought of the devil, himself if there is one...
How all christians were fooled by an messenger of evil.....
How god has been telling you to careful of false prophets...

maybe he has been the false prophet all along

this is what god says:
" a curse on him who is lax in doing the Lord's work! A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed!" jeremiah 48:10

What god says to kill? not mine, not any I would believe in.
One day I hope this whole mess can come to a closure and the real truth can come out...

May man be fooled no more

[edit on 9-10-2005 by ncbrian211]

Are you familiar with the story of Noah. If you aren't then read it. At first God was angered and hurt because the hearts of man were wicked. He was going to destroy us all and then saw grace in noah and saved him and his house. Then He made a promise to never do something like that again. Sounds to me that His anger got the best of Him and He promised to never do that again. He is perfect in that He Created heavens and the earth. He is Almighty that He can destroy which has created, and through His promise to us He is our Savior. He created both Good and Evil, and He found away to destroy evil without destroying the good. He is a God that kills, the wickedness. In the Story of lot He destroyed two cities that were full of evil and allowed those that heard Him to leave.Yes He is a God that Kills, He proved His Wrath. I am not afraid because I believe His word, to me a promise of salvation, a place for no evil. And those with goodness in their hearts will be saved. I am a sinner, I do have evil in my mind, but in my heart is God. So NO I will not hold His sword from blood. And to compare us to Him, I can't. I would be the fool to do so. So if He calls us foolish, then we are. But to call our brother a fool, is a judgment. To he that is without sin, let him cast the first stone.

Another thing you might want to bring to mind, Evil was placed in the minds of mankind through eve by satan, man fell for the love of eve, so our hearts fell with. Through our hearts God restored faith. So maybe you shouldn't think so much.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by karie]

NR

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think religion was made so that it keeps crime rate very low, just think about it. Back in the days, there was murderes,hustlers,robbers,hitmans and everything you could think off and what was the best solution? of course religion which influences people to behave properly and thats why you barely see anything like that and most likely see a change in people. Until i see a book that said written by god that comes out of nowhere from the sky and pumps right infront of me i'm not believing anything.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
man created religion to keep crime rate low. what murder and deciet. and all the other evils of the world. I don't think it worked, so to the man that created this religion I will not bow down too. Man through out history has proved that he is not perfect, and some with nothing but evil. God's law says to love Him and your neighbors as yourself, without Him in our hearts it is impossible to please Him because of the evil in our minds. The punishment for crimes against Him is death, but with Him in our hearts will be with Him again. Everyday people live their lives judging others, cheating on their spouses, but yet they are still walking around like nothing happened. Breaking each others hearts. Man's law, now if we commit murder, by all means is that ever so wrong. But mans justice kills me right way, and man is judging me when he is just as much a sinner as me. There is no sinner greater or lessor. And another thing why would a man make all this up and then write, as long as we believe, we are saved in the end. I don't understand how this fear could work in a world of sin, unless we have hope for the end. When we are saved. Because we all still have hate in hearts because of the evil in our mind NOW. Even the murders and theives will be with Jesus again. How does this work for today? Because if man wrote it to keep crime down, then the punishment should be now and not in the end.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

That is the beauty of it. God is not a seperate entity. God is what all humankind (and mankind if it makes your finite mind understand it better), is. Once again I'll bring up Superstring theory, all matter and energy in the universe IS made up of minute vibrating strings of energy. This energy is connected to a membrane that encompases the entire universe on a multidimensional level, some say 11 dimensions, some more. That membrane allows for everything in the universe to be connected at a fundamental level. If that isn't more the "Creator" or "the light of the Universe" then I'd be hard pressed to find what is.

first of all it isn't the mind that need to understand it is the heart. Our connection to our creator is an enery force. It is called the soul. Anything that has energy has a lfe force because energy itself is a living thing. So, therefore, everything living has a soul. So yes God is in everything. But He is more than a soul. A soul is a part of Him that He created and He can destroy it with out destroying His self. So I would have to believe that He is a seperate entity

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by savagecupid
Superstring theory is no more valid a theory than Christianity. Every little thing connected together is as old as Buddha. How do you know God didn't create these little strings? If you are a part of God how could you know what being every other part of him or her, all at once, was like? Maybe Christianity took a wrong turn somewhere back there, corrupted by man in his own image, but the basic idea is pure. Sounds like your mad at God for not explaing himself to you, and your taking it out on the Christians because they don't need an explaination.

The soul is part of God not mankind. We are only in God, well at least that was in the beginning and will be in the end. The soul is a part of us and a part of God, and only it knows God and knows what it is like.
And its not christianity that was corrupted, It was man himself corrupted by the evil first palced in their minds. But you are so right about people being mad at God because the way chrsitianity is today. And I just explained to you that I know God did create these strings. And I not only know this in Heart but I also know this cause God does explain Himself. It is all in the bible. And It is improtant that we all know this because we are all sinners and as a christian It is important to follow a faith of Jesus, and not the teachings of man. Being raised of a christian church, i not only saw the wrong I do, but the wrong of the church itself and people following it blindly. So it is important that everyone know the truth. But faith and faith alone will guide you. Oh, another thing, Christianity has been since the beginning. I think it is makes it a lot older than Buddah. And Islamic and all that came from that came from christianity. Ishmael, was born a hebrew.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by just me 2

I think it just makes more sense to believe in something that you can know first hand, and not something told to you by a third party. Everyone has their own agenda, and to simply take someones word for it is a little simplistic.

But you CAN know God through Christ! I know this from my own first hand experiences!

Consider this parable:
There was once a small child who was with his mom in the kitchen while she was making dinner. Mom says, "Don't touch that stove Johnny, it's very hot!" Johnny believed his mom, but that stove was such a pretty color of orange, that he couldn't resist. As soon as little Johnny touched the hot burner, he now KNEW the stove was hot. He had moved from the realm of belief to the realm of first hand knowledge.

That is how true Christians are, we have experienced God's power and love for ourselves through the work of the Holy Spirit.

None of that has anything to do with Christ. You don't know the holy spirit first hand. You don't know Christ first hand. You don't know God first hand. I think you could know god first hand if you gave up all of these second hand notions. What you described of knowing God through Christianity is what is called the plecebo effect. If you believe something will have an effect on you, it will. If you are told that you know god through Christ, and you know Christ through Christianity, and you believe it, then in your mind it will work. Placebo!!!!

okay first with the parable, unless it is an actuall quote of Jesus from the bible, than that is not a teaching of Christ. Plus your right that had nothing to do with Jesus. The child learned a lesson of fact not faith. And yes the mind has the power to do anything it wants to the body. But Chrisitianity does not work through Christ or Christ through it. Christianity is Jesus. He even tells you that He is the foundation in which we build our faith. Not of bricks and stone, but of heart. He even says that if we believe in Him in our hearts...not mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by karie
But Chrisitianity does not work through Christ or Christ through it. Christianity is Jesus. He even tells you that He is the foundation in which we build our faith. Not of bricks and stone, but of heart. He even says that if we believe in Him in our hearts...not mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Many eastern philosophies on Jesus are very interesting, and pertain to what you are talking about. The belief is that Jesus was not the direct offspring of god any more that anyone else. Jesus was an ordinary man who became at one with his Self, and thus became one with God. He came to realize, much as Siddhartha Guatama did before giving up his riches and becoming Buddha, there is a unifying soul. Jesus then understood that we are all one, and thus, be good. To do harm to anyone would be to harm oneself. He wanted to show himself as an example of how one could attain this oneness with God, and thus be god. Christianity, like Buddhism, and Hinduism, was meant to help man ascend to a higher plane of thaught, but it went horribly wrong.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
JKersteJr
I don't remember which thread it was on, but I'm sorry that I never got back to you on whichever thread you had asked the question about why Hell was created.
There are so many threads, I'm starting to lose track of them all. Please forgive me for not answering your question sooner.

It was created for Satan and his angels as per Matthew 25:40-41

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
just me 2 said

Many years ago, I heard my Pastor say in a Sermon once that that “He” is not a he at all. God (the Father) is neither male or female. (Although I do not know where in the Bible is says this.)

Here are some words that describe God being neither male or female.

In the First Epistle of Poul to the Corinthians 11,11 it says
"Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither is the woman without the man in the Lord".

The scriptures below are not to be found in the bible.

Ancient Gospel 52,10
"For in me there is neither Male nor Female, but both are One in ALL perfect. The woman is not without the man, nor the man without the woman".

The gosple of Thomas (114)
Simon Peter said to them, "Let Mary live us, for woman are not worthy of Life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who will make herself male will inter the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Dialogue of the Savior (144)
The Lord said, "when the Father established the world for himself, he left behind many thinks from the Mother of the ALL. Because of this he speaks and acts".

Ancient Gospel 66,13
"When shall the Kingdom come?": "When that which is without shall be as that which is within, and that which is within shall be as that which is without, and, the male with the female, neither male nor female, but the two in One. They who have ears to hear, let them hear".

"Him that created man first, created him as man and woman".

[edit on 8-11-2005 by raunholt]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thanks for those verses! The non-biblical ones are interesting (bizaar!). I've never heard those before!
Do you suppose they are true? They were ommitted from the original Cannon of Scriptures for a reason.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Thanks for those verses! The non-biblical ones are interesting (bizaar!). I've never heard those before!
Do you suppose they are true? They were ommitted from the original Cannon of Scriptures for a reason.

Exactly, People hundreds of years ago and closer to Christ's first advent were given the responsibility of getting the Bible together for them and us. Stay on course and don't get side tracked by these other books as if they were true.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

JKersteJr
I don't remember which thread it was on, but I'm sorry that I never got back to you on whichever thread you had asked the question about why Hell was created.
There are so many threads, I'm starting to lose track of them all. Please forgive me for not answering your question sooner.

It was created for Satan and his angels as per Matthew 25:40-41

Thanks for remembering just me 2, although I didn't ask why Hell was created, I did ask you to reference the specific scripture(s) stating why, and you did, confirming my belief of hell.

However, I still dont buy the whole idea of eternal toture for those that didn't accept Christ, as you said we were all born into sin because of Adam and Eve, those of us that are smart will seek the one and only road to salvation, however there are many that will never be exposed to Christ/the Bible, what about them...do they burn in hell just because of the ignorant enviroment they are in?

Like I said, I believe there are definately some that will be condemed but I think that will happen at the end of the Tribulation and it wont be everyone that didn't believe in Christ, it will be those that knowingly reject him and continue to live the ways of the world.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There was a verse I read just recently, that something to the effect of God will make Himself known to all people. (I wish I could rememeber the reference!) I'm sorry!! :-(

Another thought is that
Romans 2:15
"...since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)"

"con" = with
"science" = knowledge

When a person sins they do it with the knowledge that it is wrong.
So, basically, a person will go to hell because of their sin, not necessarily because they never heard of Christ's Sacrifice.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

When a person sins they do it with the knowledge that it is wrong.
So, basically, a person will go to hell because of their sin, not necessarily because they never heard of Christ's Sacrifice.

I realize that much but you have to think about what is considered a sin, if worshipping a God for example, Buddha, is a sin then there are millions of people that are going to hell simply because they didn't know any better or because they were forced into the religon because of cultural acceptance reasons...those are the kind of sins I wonder about, the ones that people may be commiting unknowingly.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i think hell is misunderstood in translation...heres a thing i found ....

'Hell' is not a translation. It is a word that has been inserted by translators into the Bible because of their preconceived ideas about a place of eternal torment. This idea is fast losing ground today as modern translators realise that Hebrew words like 'sheol', simply meant the grave to the original inspired writers of the Scriptures. The translators are still very shy though, and in many instances have left the word 'sheol' untranslated in modern Bible versions. This is because they can see that this word obviously means 'the grave' and not the traditional meaning. Rather than admit this though, and the folly of using the inserted word 'hell' in the past, they have just left the Hebrew word 'sheol' untranslated many times, and left the readers to make up their own minds.
www.bibleed.com...

[edit on 9-11-2005 by namehere]

[edit on 9-11-2005 by namehere]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join