A question on home air filters

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Did I say earlier I have lots of questions on specific things that have been brought up in threads about what is needed and thought maybe those should have a thread that addresses each one. Hope everyone agrees and has the same questions.

This question is on home air filters - specifically what should you look for. I have baseboard heat so a whole house unit is out of the question I guess. But do you want a hepa filter or one with the ultraviolet light (I think that is what it is) or is there a combination of the two to get -- and do you want one for each room or one that you can move around as you move around?




posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
This question is on home air filters - specifically what should you look for.


My personal favorite is a window that opens to let the household contaminants out. But I know you're worried about Avian Flu.

At least don't buy a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze or any of those non-hepas. They're jokes.

Though it's best to not raise children in hepa cleaned environments either unless you want them allergic to everything. That was the greys mistake.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by RANT]



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
My personal favorite is a window that opens to let the household contaminants out. But I know you're worried about Avian Flu.

At least don't buy a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze or any of those non-hepas. They're jokes.

Though it's best to not raise children in hepa cleaned environments either unless you want them allergic to everything. That was the greys mistake.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by RANT]


One of the benefits of heating your house with wood is being able to open the doors and windows for a bit in the coldest part of winter to air the house out -- that stove puts the same amount of heat out no matter what and no worries about furnace running more
But you are right my main concern in this thread is in case of some type of pandemic.

I thought that about the Sharper Image ones - thanks for verifying it for me.

And don't have to worry about kids anymore
just DH and I. (and we are older than dirt)

[edit on 9-10-2005 by justme1640]



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ultraviolet light can act as a germicide. I wonder if they have any air filters that simply pull air past a powerful UV light to "disinfect" the air.



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I old Ionic Breezes got taken off the market. THey now have that new OZONE thing attachment.

The old ones would charge everything that went through them even the air so the good O2 molecules that went though were ionized and bicked up another oxygen atom and made it O3 and was actually hurting the OZONE. So they had to take them off the market.



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Wait, generating Ozone hurts the Ozone layer?


I'm hoping there is some science behind this, and I don't need to file this in my "global warming causes global cooling" folder.



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toxic Fox
I don't need to file this in my "global warming causes global cooling" folder.



It does though.


Not to worry. The greys are running an exodus excursiopn. RANT has the details.



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I just posted this to another thread. I think it's a pretty good read and will give you an idea of what to expect (in a pandemic), what to stockpile, and how to take care of someone who comes down with the H5N1:

(Let me know if you have trouble with the pdf)

crofsblogs.typepad.com...

[edit on 9-10-2005 by SourGrapes]



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks SourGrapes I downloaded it to read it later -- looked like a long read


I had wondered about the UV light because for some strange reason my new window air conditioner had that on it.

Just curious soficrow what are you using if anything - with all your studies I would figure you would have a good idea or two.



posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here ya go (CBR = chemical, bio and radioactive/nuclear)


Filtration and air-cleaning systems may protect a building and its occupants from the effects of a CBR attack. Although it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk from an attack, filtration and aircleaning systems are important components of a comprehensive plan to reduce the consequences. CBR agents can effectively be removed by properly designed, installed, and well-maintained filtration and air-cleaning systems.

Link here

More info here

I think the article is talkng about the big industrial size air purifiers.....


[edit on 9/10/2005 by SportyMB]



posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
I old Ionic Breezes got taken off the market. THey now have that new OZONE thing attachment.

The old ones would charge everything that went through them even the air so the good O2 molecules that went though were ionized and bicked up another oxygen atom and made it O3 and was actually hurting the OZONE. So they had to take them off the market.


Um...O3 is ozone....

Are you talking about ozone pollution?



posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
so do you think this is overkill or is it what we should be looking for - if you can't do a whole house system becasus of baseboard heat

this one?

I am serious in trying to figure what is needed or what is too much -- I don't want to pay for more than I have need of you know



posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
one click 2 posts --


[edit on 10-10-2005 by justme1640]



posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Two questions for those who know better than I:

1) I have observed many home filters labeled as "HEPA type". Is that like saying the filter meets the standards to be labeled HEPA, however whatever agency (FTC? FDA?) regulates the label HEPA has not given the approval? Is the term HEPA even regulated?

2) At a Q&A session with a US government air quality "expert", he told us that those "ozone generator" things were actually quite harmful (or could be?) to the lungs. Anyone know?



posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
Did I say earlier I have lots of questions on specific things that have been brought up in threads about what is needed and thought maybe those should have a thread that addresses each one. Hope everyone agrees and has the same questions.

This question is on home air filters - specifically what should you look for. I have baseboard heat so a whole house unit is out of the question I guess. But do you want a hepa filter or one with the ultraviolet light (I think that is what it is) or is there a combination of the two to get -- and do you want one for each room or one that you can move around as you move around?



Unfortunately, I can't answer your question because I am here with a similar question!
I understand the concept of air filters and I know that they purify your air and can be used by people with pets, but I have no idea where to get them! I asked my guy friend today, because I like the idea of my air being cleaner, and he works in hvac. He suggested that I go to a website called discountfilters.com. Does anyone have experience with buying filters from them? I would just like to get reviews before I buy anything. Thanks!





new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join